Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
krizzz
krizzz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Calibre Metadata Not Read by Android Apps

All -

I am really confused on this one. I had a hodge podge of books in different formats. I took the time with Calibre to convert them all to epub and get the Author, Title, and Series correct for every book.

The problem is that when I copy them to my Android tablet, each book is still showing all of the old information. I see each file has a "metadata.opf" file with it, but I assume this is being ignored by the reader.

How do I modify the actual epub files themselves to have the correct information?

TIA!
krizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Have a look at this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2179752
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krizzz View Post
All -

I am really confused on this one. I had a hodge podge of books in different formats. I took the time with Calibre to convert them all to epub and get the Author, Title, and Series correct for every book.

The problem is that when I copy them to my Android tablet, each book is still showing all of the old information. I see each file has a "metadata.opf" file with it, but I assume this is being ignored by the reader.

How do I modify the actual epub files themselves to have the correct information?

TIA!
Did you correct the metadata BEFORE you converted them to ePub? The Calibre metadata gets mbedded into epub files during conversion. If you want the embedded metadata to be updated AFTER converting to ePub then I would recommend using the Modify ePub plugin.

Also, what method did you use to transfer the books? Calibre normally also updates the metadata when you use 'Send to Device' or ' Save to Disk'. It would not get updated if you used OS level facilities to transfer books directly from Calibre's library storage to your device bypassing the Calibre transfer facilities.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by krizzz View Post
The problem is that when I copy them to my Android tablet, each book is still showing all of the old information.
Metadata is updated in an ePub when...

It is converted, say epub - epub

When you xfer books via...
Send to device
Save to disk
Connect to folder
Download from the Content Server.

Or if you use the Modify ePub plugin to update the metadata in a ePub.

Copying the ePub using Windows explorer will not update the metadata in the ePub.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-10-2012 at 09:26 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
krizzz
krizzz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
All - Thanks for clarifying how the software actually functions! I was just manually transferring the files via Windows Explorer, so it makes sense that the metadata was not being updated. Armed with this new info, I will go back and play with things again as time allows.

MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

EDIT: I just clicked the "Save to Disk" and all my problems went away. I feel pretty dumb right now. =)

Thanks again all.

Last edited by krizzz; 08-10-2012 at 10:57 AM.
krizzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert