Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
gluggy
gluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfolded

Device: none
Java Mobi Metadata Editor

Here's a little Java program I wrote, which lets you edit, add, and remove EXTH tags in mobi files. It doesn't have as many features as mobi2mobi, but it suits my needs.

I've only tested it with a couple of non-DRMed files, and it seems to work fine.

It's a standalone program, and doesn't depend on any other programs or libraries (apart from Java, of course).

Enjoy!

Update:
v0.14
- Added Open and Save menu items.
- Lets the user specify the target filename.

v0.13
- Added a Header Info dialog, which details various fields in the PDB header, PalmDOC header, and MOBI header.
- Added in provisions to invoke debug and safe modes from the command line.
- Added in WhisperPrep, which lets users set ASINs and sets the CDEType to EBOK
(to invoke, type "java -cp MobiMetaEditorV0.13.jar cli.WhisperPrep
<input directory> <output directory>").

v0.12
- Added in various OS X-specific features.
- Allow users to specify an input filename on the command line.

v0.11
- Added in language features.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	12097
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	81437  
Attached Files
File Type: zip MobiMetaEditor.zip (51.5 KB, 24845 views)

Last edited by gluggy; 09-13-2012 at 09:51 AM.
gluggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #2
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Thanks for sharing. (I wish there was an option to change language of the book, dict)
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
gluggy
gluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfoldedgluggy reads XML... blindfolded

Thanks for the feedback, thomass.

Please try out the new version in the top post.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:36 AM   #4
vakya
Connoisseur
vakya doesn't littervakya doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, IREX DR800, Kindle 3 y Kindle 4 NT
Thanks... gracias...
vakya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluggy View Post
Please try out the new version in the top post.
Thanks for the update.
I tried it.Works perfect. Just a small problem: When I changed the language on mobi2mobi and open it with your app to edit metadata it displays language as Unknown(9), etc. The other way around has no problem though. (Actually, this is not a big deal ).
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
gluggy

Sorry about that, thomass. I missed some codes out.

Version 0.12 should fix it.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry about that, thomass. I missed some codes out.

Version 0.12 should fix it.
You are really fast on replying feedbacks. Thanks again
Old 02-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #8
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Thank you, gluggy. Your program makes it very easy to change language codes for dictionaries. Nice that the Kindle now automatically selects the right dictionary based on the language.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #9
gluggy

You're welcome - I'm glad the program is finding some use!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
lowfive
lowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire
Can this tool be used to quickly change the PDOC tag to EBOK on mobi files?

I really would rather not take the time to convert them in Calibre... seems like a waste of time and a way to potentially lose ebook data and formatting.
lowfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
gluggy

Yes, it can. That was one of the reasons why I wrote this!

Just load up your mobi, look for the row where it says "501 (CDE Type) PDOC", double-click on PDOC, change it to EBOK, click on the Save button, and you're done.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
lowfive
lowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with otherslowfive plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire
Wow, I REALLY wish I had this the past two days! I wasted hours screwing around with calibre needlessly! Blah! Anyway, thanks for sharing this neat program with us!
lowfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Just load up your mobi, look for the row where it says "501 (CDE Type) PDOC", double-click on PDOC, change it to EBOK, click on the Save button, and you're done.
This does not work for me. The CDE Type does not get changed. What works is to delete the existing CDE Type and then add a new one with EBOK.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #14
gluggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfive View Post
Wow, I REALLY wish I had this the past two days! I wasted hours screwing around with calibre needlessly! Blah! Anyway, thanks for sharing this neat program with us!
You're welcome! I feel your pain. I went through the same painful process, and that was what prompted me to write this. Calibre is a fantastic program - it's just overkill for this task.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft
This does not work for me. The CDE Type does not get changed. What works is to delete the existing CDE Type and then add a new one with EBOK.
Hmm.. that's strange. This does work for me. Although I did have to press "Enter" after I entered "EBOK", just to make sure that the change was registered.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #15
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
This does work for me. Although I did have to press "Enter" after I entered "EBOK", just to make sure that the change was registered.
It works for me with the <enter>.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k5 tools, mobi metadata, mobi metadata editor, mobi2mobi