Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
javi_alex27
javi_alex27 began at the beginning.

Device: none
For those who already buy the Onyx Boox M92, Would you recommend it?

I've been waiting since I knew about the onyx boox m92 to buy one for myself, but now there are many threads talking about bugs of the Onyx Boox M92.

I want to know for those who already buy one what are their opinion of the ereader m92 and if they fully recommend to buy one?
javi_alex27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:20 AM   #2
medvedev
Connoisseur
medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.medvedev can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Hello Alex,
can you tell us why do you need a reader? What kind of files do you want to read on it?

I'm a student and I'm reading scientific pdf files on M92 and I'm satisfied with this reader. The M92 has a lot of features for reading pdf and is very fast even when I'm reading big files ( >50Mb).
I'm using the reader every day since the 23. December 2011 and the reader freezed just 2 times in that period.
medvedev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #3
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Freezing

Quote:
Originally Posted by medvedev View Post
Hello Alex,
can you tell us why do you need a reader? What kind of files do you want to read on it?

I'm a student and I'm reading scientific pdf files on M92 and I'm satisfied with this reader. The M92 has a lot of features for reading pdf and is very fast even when I'm reading big files ( >50Mb).
I'm using the reader every day since the 23. December 2011 and the reader freezed just 2 times in that period.
Well, mine has just given up working and cannot get started any more. I will have to send it back tomthe store - but I agree with you as far as overall performance is concerned.
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
Schmitti
Enthusiast
Schmitti began at the beginning.

I have an M92, and I use it mainly to read scientific articles and books, but also started reading fiction epubs on it. There are some (really minor) glitches, and the device's functionality could be improved (e.g. with menu of recent pages in the reader apps), but all in all I can recommend it. It has been working flawlessly with the original 1.6 firmware. No crashes, no freezes, no strange behavior.
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
javi_alex27
javi_alex27 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by medvedev View Post
Hello Alex,

I am a medical student and all my books are in pdf and chm format, also they are heavy approx 200 mb so that is the reason I wanna buy an ereader and I want a ereader that can handle these kind of files
javi_alex27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Schmitti
Enthusiast
Schmitti began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi_alex27 View Post
I am a medical student and all my books are in pdf and chm format, also they are heavy approx 200 mb so that is the reason I wanna buy an ereader and I want a ereader that can handle these kind of files
I'm reading lots of scanned PDFs on my M92 that are up to 500 MB in size. No problems so far. It takes a bit of time for the device to load the whole document, but if you start reading at the beginning, you don't really notice. You definitely need a large SDHC card. I went for 32GB immediately.
Schmitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi_alex27 View Post
Certainly no problem here, but the workflow I am used from the windows world
is missing almost completely.

The medical books I have are heavily picture laden, and this is definetely no fun as b/w.
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
serge_mm
serge_mm began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92, Kindle 3
I read mathematics in pdf. I am very satisfied with my new M92. E-ink quality equals Kindle. Can choose the size of the page, the boldness of characters. Really impressive. just a problem on how to load dictionaries, I am sure it will be solved.
serge_mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #9
Italiano a Wro
Italiano a Wro began at the beginning.

Device: Boox
Ciao!

The polish company Arta Tech (Wroclaw/Breslau/Breslavia) distributes ebook readers Boox in Poland. It has just acquired the web page https://www.onyx-boox.com/ users from EU-States are familiar with.

The company is carrying out a very expansive strategy in Poland and many internationalisation efforts. Should you consider to buy a Boox follow their Facebook page and don't hesitate to contact them: https://www.facebook.com/onyxboox

I have bought the Boox i62 and I am so happy to have such a stylish and functional device!
Italiano a Wro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:07 AM   #10
ebookmania
Enthusiast
ebookmania began at the beginning.

Device: non
Depends on your requirements.
If it is just for reading books, I would definitely recommend it.
But make sure you get it from a good store. Because since the Quality control
of the product is not that good, you can end up with a defective product.
If its a firmware issue then you're in luck, it can simply be corrected in the
next version.
But if it is a hardware issue then the "good store" should help you out.
My choice would be ereader-store.de. User Booxtor is from this store and is
reasonable in sorting out issues.
Other than this there are several videos available on youtube that shows
the capabilities of the system. These are the main considerations I had when
buying the product.
ebookmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #11
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiano a Wro View Post
Ciao!

The polish company Arta Tech (Wroclaw/Breslau/Breslavia) distributes ebook readers Boox in Poland. It has just acquired the web page https://www.onyx-boox.com/ users from EU-States are familiar with.

The company is carrying out a very expansive strategy in Poland and many internationalisation efforts. Should you consider to buy a Boox follow their Facebook page and don't hesitate to contact them: https://www.facebook.com/onyxboox

I have bought the Boox i62 and I am so happy to have such a stylish and functional device!
but onyx europe was the booxtor's shop ?
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by repods View Post
but onyx europe was the booxtor's shop ?
ereader-store.de is our shop. A company named Onyx Europe does not exist (AFAIK).. Some guys from Netherland called themselves like this (not official actually), and they owned also onyx-boox.com. Now it looks like they sold the domain to this Company from Poland.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #13
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Onyx should really make a better job at making the difference between themselves and various resellers clearer.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #14
The Chef
Enthusiast
The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox i86 Plus (formerly M92)
Wow this is an eye-opener.

I am considering getting an M92 at the moment (just looking into it a bit more).

One of my questions was going to be "where is a reliable place to buy from?", since I am wary of warranties/service with distance selling, especially international!
But looks like Booxtor's been very helpful, responsive and offered good service, from what I've read on this forum, so it's an easy answer

I also thought that onyx boox site was actually the manufacturer too; it's not the first time I've seen a distributor/reseller posing as the manufacturer (which I usually don't mind.. until it gets to the part of issues/warranty lol).

Last edited by The Chef; 06-19-2012 at 05:18 PM.
The Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
sfauzia
sfauzia began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92 Black Pearl
I just received my Onyx Boox M92 Black Pearl, and I have a few comments to make on it:

The screen quality is superb, and the UI is sensible. The support for multiple formats is wonderful. It's fast to change pages, even with scanned books. However, the singular reason I chose this device was for the Wacom pen, and with that in mind, I really think the larger, thicker stylus should be sold by default--it would make writing significantly easier, and erasing more natural (it appears to have an eraser top). Speaking of erasing, I can't seem to erase single points (e.g. dots on my i's) consistently. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Also, the lines of my handwriting appear not at all smooth, as they have with the Wacom tablet PCs I've used, which is a huge disappointment for me. If these issues with handwriting could be resolved, I would give this device five stars and tell you you should have bought it yesterday . But presently, I would like to see my issues resolved before recommending this device.

Last edited by sfauzia; 06-20-2012 at 11:31 AM.
sfauzia is offline   Reply With Quote