Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
kgydkgyd
kgydkgyd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Solution: Cropping Double Page PDF Files into One-Page PDF files

I've been around internet for awhile to see if there is a solution regarding cropping those double page PDF files into one-page PDF file. After a bit of research, I found the absolute solution. It might look a bit long and exhausting but once you get the idea, it is actually a very easy process. By the way, apologies for my bad English.

The only thing you will be needing:
Adobe Acrobat Professional 9 and nothing else. No scripts, [inappropriate adjective deleted by moderator] software sold for 9999 dollars or shit.

Let's begin:

First, we have to do some preparation before execution.

Preparation:

Let's say double-page PDF filename is Insomnia.pdf

1) Create two new folders. (Let's say first folder name is L and the other is R).
2) Copy & Paste Insomnia.pdf into both of these folders.

That's it. Now the solution:

1) Open the L folder.
2) Open the Insomnia.pdf with Adobe Acrobat Professional.
3) Click 'Document' and then click 'Crop pages'
4) Use Left button. Move the frame to just in the middle of the two pages.
5) Under 'Page Range' click 'All'.
6) Next to 'Apply to' click 'Even and Odd Pages'.
7) Click OK. Now all the left side of each page is removed. We have a lot to do still though.
8) Click 'File', then move to 'Export', then 'Image', then 'JPEG'.
9) It will ask you to choose a filename. Make it something short, preferably three letters, such as, 'Asd'.
10) Click 'Save' and wait a few minutes until it finishes.

We haven't done yet. We are done with the L folder. Now we have to do the same with R folder. However this time, we will crop right side of each page. But the most important thing is that when you are going to export images, you have to choose the same filename, that is, Asd. This is essential. Now anyway I'm explaining R folder in detail:

1) Open the R folder.
2) Open the Insomnia.pdf with Adobe Acrobat Professional.
3) Click 'Document' and then click 'Crop pages'
4) Use Right button. Move the frame to just in the middle of the two pages.
5) Under 'Page Range' click 'All'.
6) Next to 'Apply to' click 'Even and Odd Pages'.
7) Click OK. Now all the right side of each page is removed. We have a lot to do still though.
8) Click 'File', then move to 'Export', then 'Image', then 'JPEG'.
9) It will ask you to choose a filename. Use the SAME FILENAME you chose before, Asd.
10) Click 'Save' and wait a few minutes until it finishes.

Now it is time to combine both of those images. However if you don't follow my exact steps, you might have pages that goes like 2, 1, 4, 3, 6, 5 etc in the end. So do exactly as I say, don't do anything different.

1) Open R folder. Not L.
2) Select all JPEG images in the folder (Asd_Page_001, Asd_Page_002, Asd Page_003...)
3) After you selected all the JPEG images (make sure you didn't also select Insomnia.Pdf) right click one of these images and then click 'Combine supported files in Acrobat'
4) Good, don't touch anything on this screen.
5) Now go to the L folder.
6) Again, select all JPEG images, (make sure again Insomnia.Pdf is not included into selected files)
7) Now, don't right-click on an image this time, but MOVE these files onto the Adobe screen, just like you move a file to another folder, move it to 'Combine Files' screen which is already opened.
8) Now don't touch anything on screen, such as deselecting files, don't click anywhere.
9) Click 'Name' column twice.
10) Click 'Combine files', choose an output file name.

That's it. This new file will have one page per screen. But the end result might have this problem: Filesize might be too big even if the original file was small. New file might be 200 mb. But this can be easily solved. Open the new file with Adobe Acrobat Professional, click Document, click Reduce file size and click ok. This might take a few minutes but it will reduce file size a lot to put it onto your kindle, mobireader whatever.

A VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: You can take notes, highlight text, look up for dictionary when using this in your device. No worries.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 06-08-2011 at 11:55 AM.
kgydkgyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
This is absolutely absurd. You can split two column PDFs with something like BRISS in seconds. Why would you go through such nonsense?

I also find your post offensive in the way it uses "gay" as an insult.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 01:23 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
This is absolutely absurd. You can split two column PDFs with something like BRISS in seconds. Why would you go through such nonsense?

I suspect gay was a typo for gray software, meaning that perhaps it isn't legal. gay software has no meaning at all so far as I know.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:22 AM   #4
kgydkgyd
kgydkgyd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post

Well I don't know most of these softwares I tried around internet turned out to be extremely pricey, free ones are filled with amateurish crappy bugs and error messages that won't let it do its basic functions and they ask for several other retarded scripts to run. But my method is professional since using Acrobat.
kgydkgyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I suspect gay was a typo for gray software, meaning that perhaps it isn't legal. gay software has no meaning at all so far as I know.

Dale
He's just using "gay" as a generic insult. "Gray software" is far more obscure. You can tell that he's the insensitive type by the way he uses "retarded" as well.

Quote:
Well I don't know most of these softwares I tried around internet turned out to be extremely pricey, free ones are filled with amateurish crappy bugs and error messages that won't let it do its basic functions and they ask for several other retarded scripts to run. But my method is professional since using Acrobat.
BRISS is free and I've never encountered a bug with it. Since it's open source, and the developer visits these forums, if I did find bugs, I could help eliminate them.

Acrobat is ridiculously overpriced, and Adobe seems not to care when you file bug reports on its software.

There is a prejudice against free software, when these days, by and large, free software is better. That's not to say there isn't crappy free software -- there is -- but the best free software is at least as good as their commercial counterparts, with a few exceptions. At the very least, they're not bloated monsters like Acrobat is.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert