Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #31
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I only want to hide it from my wife...she keeps taking my Kindle to play Every Word and Shuffled Row.
When I visited my parents after sending them a K3 as a holiday gift, my mom wanted me to activate the Wifi so she could play the sodoku games she'd bought. That seems to interest her as much as the books.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:19 AM   #32
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
Just wait a little until iPads become more widespread. Then you'll feel ashamed for having such a "low tech" device :P But at least you'll be able to read in peace.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #33
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
When iPads were first released I had a few people ask if my Kobo was an iPad but other than that I don't think anyone has really noticed or if they did they didn't comment.
The only time I have ever hidden it was when I wasn't supposed to be reading but just couldn't help myself!
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #34
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
I think the purpose of me getting one was so the other half wouldn't have to carry bags full of heavy books to and from the library
That's exactly why my husband bought one for me several years ago!

One of my big pushes is to let people out there know there is more to the ereading world than kindle and nook I don't usually hide my ereader, but I don't try to show it off either.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #35
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'm with Sweetpea. We need more converts to ebook readers. I read mine sometimes when I'm out and about and though I don't usually have others asking about it I wouldn't think it an intrusion for someone to ask me about my Kindle.
You really have to see one out in the wild to really grasp how good the screen is, especially in direct sunlight. No video on amazon, youtube or anywhere else can really do it justice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Not me! I'll try to flash the reader around as much as I can, in the hope that somebody actually notices it. Nobody ever does... (I want to make converts!)

I've never even seen another e-reader in the wild, beside my own and my husbands and those two or three they have floating around where I work (as they work with books a lot, it makes sense...)
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2011, 01:54 AM   #36
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Ah yes. Kindle game apps are addictive. I've got quite a number of them in an apps collection myself. Most were either free or reduced in price at the time I bought them. I've had no problems with any of them so far though. Aside from occasionally losing to my Kindle. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
When I visited my parents after sending them a K3 as a holiday gift, my mom wanted me to activate the Wifi so she could play the sodoku games she'd bought. That seems to interest her as much as the books.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:16 AM   #37
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafaforza View Post
Just wait a little until iPads become more widespread. Then you'll feel ashamed for having such a "low tech" device :P But at least you'll be able to read in peace.
Why would I? I have a Nokia 2323 (work) and a Sonim (private) mobile phone and no fancy smartphone. My PDA is over 5 years old and I still use that (in public). And my JE100 isn't something to be proud of either and yet I'll show that without any shame at all.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:51 AM   #38
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I've never even seen another e-reader in the wild
I couldn't believe that there was anywhere left in the world which wouldn't recognise an ereader and I wondered for a moment what strange part of the world you lived in. I'm reasonably well travelled but Krewerd had me stumped - a quick Google told me that Krewerd is a town in the province of Groningen. It is a part of the municipality of Delfzijl, and lies about 24 km northeast of Groningen. The statistical area "Krewerd", which also can include the surrounding countryside, has a population of around 100.

I can now understand why no-one has seen an ereader there before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Keeper View Post
I do the same thing ... I don't want it stolen
I also wondered where you lived but was surprised to see it was the UK. I regularly travel through Brixton and no-one has even looked twice at my Kindle - perhaps it's because it's an old fashioned K2? though I'm sure that if anyone bothered me, I could just explain it was a book and they'd go off elsewhere. Not had to try though thank god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Keeper View Post
I took mine camping just after I got it. Managed to drop it and the back casing came off, got it back on but it's still a bit iffy
Get a case - I bought a lovely leather one for about £16 and it does a great job of protecting my K2 (I even dropped it out of my pocket while riding along on my push bike). It also makes the thing just look (and feel) like an old family friend rather than like just another bit of technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I prosletize to anyone who looks at it with any curiosity or longing.
I'm the same (assuming that prosletize means to talk endlessly about something and not to shake a false limb at them) - though I'm trying to get more reading done these days so I try to limit my sales talks to just those who look interesting or are particularly pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Ah yes. Kindle game apps are addictive.
So I've heard - I love sudoku, would dearly love to learn to do crosswords or play scrabble but nothing seems to work here in the UK
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #39
sameer00
Banned
sameer00 began at the beginning.

Device: e-book
I read it wherever I have a chance. Normally, when in public, that will be in airports and on aeroplanes. I'm a seaman and travels alot. However, I seldom see other readers, but there are "thirteen on the dozen" of ipads and the like around in the airlounges and transit halls.
So far, since I bought my reader last September, I haven't had any comment on it, albeit a few looks though.
sameer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:55 AM   #40
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Although I recognise the feeling you should maybe see yourself as an "Ambassador" for paper-less book-reading.

And if you're afraid of it getting stolen : search for somebody with a laptop and sit near them, that should divert the attention.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #41
minspargal
Enthusiast
minspargal doesn't litterminspargal doesn't litter

Device: sony reader
I never hid my books when i read so i don't hide my e-reader either. I've had a few people comment, "Oh is that one of those Kindle things?" or they ask how i like the e-reader. Some of the older ladies at our town book club were real interested in my pocket sony and had never seen an e-reader.
minspargal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #42
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
For what it's worth, on my commute to work in NYC, I can see half a dozen ebook readers around me on a subway car. Sometimes they even outnumber paper books and magazines. So they're becoming more common.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #43
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
I couldn't believe that there was anywhere left in the world which wouldn't recognise an ereader and I wondered for a moment what strange part of the world you lived in. I'm reasonably well travelled but Krewerd had me stumped - a quick Google told me that Krewerd is a town in the province of Groningen. It is a part of the municipality of Delfzijl, and lies about 24 km northeast of Groningen. The statistical area "Krewerd", which also can include the surrounding countryside, has a population of around 100.

I can now understand why no-one has seen an ereader there before!
I do work! And I work in the city of Groningen, and that's a fairly big city (for Dutch standards, that is) and also has a large student population. And the other day, I went by train to the other side of the country and still didn't even see one reader (only phones...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #44
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
OP, Is it a concern over 'flaunting conspicuous wealth' your case?
Do you feel like you're showing off an expensive toy when those around you barely have enough to scrape by?

In my part of the world, no ereader or tablet would rate a glance from the crowd, unless an individual was particularly interested in the device, so no, it'd never occur to me to want to hide it while using it.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #45
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post

I also wondered where you lived but was surprised to see it was the UK. I regularly travel through Brixton and no-one has even looked twice at my Kindle - perhaps it's because it's an old fashioned K2? though I'm sure that if anyone bothered me, I could just explain it was a book and they'd go off elsewhere. Not had to try though thank god.

Get a case - I bought a lovely leather one for about £16 and it does a great job of protecting my K2 (I even dropped it out of my pocket while riding along on my push bike). It also makes the thing just look (and feel) like an old family friend rather than like just another bit of technology.
It was in a case when I dropped it! It's now in a silcone case because a tiny bit of the circuit board is exposed and I now have the Kindle lighted case and a waterproof pouch

I used to travel a lot in London especially on buses but I now work elsewhere with teenagers, and let just say occasionally things go missing.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote