Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 12:23 AM   #1
ivatrinka
ivatrinka began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 350
Transfered ePubs to Sony 350 using Calibre Changes (') to (?)

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I own several readers and use Calibre to convert my eBooks to different formats.

After using Calibre to download my ePub books into my Sony Reader 350 that every word with an aphostrophe (') had that symbol changed to a question mark (?) in te reader. For example (I'am to I?am or don't to don?t). The ePub book in Calibre reads correctly, but not so in the Sony 350. Does anybody has an idea what is causing this or how to solve it?

Thanks for your help.
ivatrinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivatrinka View Post
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I own several readers and use Calibre to convert my eBooks to different formats.

After using Calibre to download my ePub books into my Sony Reader 350 that every word with an aphostrophe (') had that symbol changed to a question mark (?) in te reader. For example (I'am to I?am or don't to don?t). The ePub book in Calibre reads correctly, but not so in the Sony 350. Does anybody has an idea what is causing this or how to solve it?

Thanks for your help.
That usually means that the character is not in the font-set (available) on your device or there is a code-page specification error.
Did the book exist in EPUB before sending, or was it converted at send time?

And welcome to MR and Calibre
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
ivatrinka

Hey, Thanks theducks!

I converted the ePub from my own text documents before sending it to the reader. No, I have not seen any code-page specification errors.

How could Sony forget to add a character that is used with frecuency in the English language to their readers? That is not acceptable.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hey, Thanks theducks!

I converted the ePub from my own text documents before sending it to the reader. No, I have not seen any code-page specification errors.

How could Sony forget to add a character that is used with frecuency in the English language to their readers? That is not acceptable.
Because it only looks like the Droids you see.
There are more than one symbol that looks similar (Just open the Character map program (Windows or Linux Accessory)

If they use a look-a-like, it may fail.
Straight quotes vs curly quotes. Straight Apostrophe vs the Slanted one
Calibre has Hurestic conversion setting that include "smart quotes". Sometime Off is better
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
ivatrinka

Thanks again for your help, but this time the information you gave me went over my hesd (I'm not that caomputer savy). I do not use Windows or Linux but Mac. If the problem is with the fonts on the reader how would I be able to fix it so it reads the right characters.
Thanks again!
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The initial cause of the problem is that the standard ASCII quote characters have not been used. Instead you must have used a variant of quote used that is specific to the code set or font that you use. If you can correct this in the initial text documents and reconvert to epub then the problem would go away.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:36 AM   #7
ivatrinka

Thanks itimpi for your help!

The original documents were fine. I solved the problem by changing the font Calibre was using to convert to ePub from Serif to Sans-Serif.

Thanks again.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The original documents were fine. I solved the problem by changing the font Calibre was using to convert to ePub from Serif to Sans-Serif.
Where exactly did you make this change?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
ivatrinka

Open Calibre.
Select a book that is already in ePub format.
Open Edit Metadata.
Select and open the ePub book.
In the left hand side menu, go to the botton and click the arrow.
Click the Preference icon. (The one with the gears)
Go to Stanard Fonts ans change it to Sans-serif.
Click Ok.

From now on no more substitutions when you palce your converted documents to the sony Reader 350.
You will have to reconvert all the ePub books that you created previous to the change from your own documents using the original document as a base.

Thanks to everybody who helped!

Tags
calibre, epubs, sony 350, transfering