Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 02:59 AM   #61
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
And yet another new direction before I head out the door! Don't blame me, blame Inkscape for being about 50billion times easier and more fun to use than Adobe Illustrator
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thesantadelusion.png
Views:	262
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	41206  
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:57 AM   #62
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
And yet another new direction before I head out the door! Don't blame me, blame Inkscape for being about 50billion times easier and more fun to use than Adobe Illustrator
Cute. Makes me thing of 1960's madcap movies. If that's appropriate, that's great (but I still prefer the other style... )
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #63
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

i can't seem to get a bead on this cover at all. I keep changing my mind. It's actually been harder to do a cover for this thing than write it
Old 12-16-2009, 02:04 AM   #64
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I like the new one because it's cute, but I also like the Santa cap cover.

The Santa cap cover made me think straight crime story (but not too graphic) and the new cover made me smile and think maybe a madcap crime story.

I guess a cover design does have an effect on the purchase when you don't know an author. You could probably put the same book out with different covers and get some interesting download numbers for each. (might be fun to try)
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #65
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I like the new one because it's cute, but I also like the Santa cap cover.

The Santa cap cover made me think straight crime story (but not too graphic) and the new cover made me smile and think maybe a madcap crime story.

I guess a cover design does have an effect on the purchase when you don't know an author. You could probably put the same book out with different covers and get some interesting download numbers for each. (might be fun to try)

Well I won't be promoting this one at all really (there will be personalised copies for a few people though ). It was written more to get a feel for the new Finch, and what do you know, Steinbeck (although not actually in the tale) returned and Finch has a new sidekick, a punk cartoonist / barrista/ secretary called Luka It was Luka (in the story world) who designed the Finch bird logo thingy-me-bob.

I think, overall I'm going to go with some variation of the Santa cap idea and not the cartoony one. Expect your copy befrore the 20th (along with the others I mentioned on my site. If I've left anybody out, please PM me and shout at me horribly )
Old 12-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #66
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think, overall I'm going to go with some variation of the Santa cap idea and not the cartoony one. Expect your copy befrore the 20th (along with the others I mentioned on my site. If I've left anybody out, please PM me and shout at me horribly )
Old 12-17-2009, 06:59 AM   #67
Moejoe
Banned

Even more new ones These are inspired by the covers of the Chandler re-issues in the uk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	santa.png
Views:	252
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	41402   Click image for larger version

Name:	grey.png
Views:	244
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	41403   Click image for larger version

Name:	bighurt.png
Views:	242
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	41404   Click image for larger version

Name:	gunmansalute.png
Views:	235
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	41407   Click image for larger version

Name:	diamondsea.png
Views:	232
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	41420   Click image for larger version

Name:	emptypage.png
Views:	224
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	41421   Click image for larger version

Name:	matchbook.png
Views:	236
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	41423   Click image for larger version

Name:	edengame.png
Views:	220
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	41424   Click image for larger version

Name:	mermaidmurders.png
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	41427   Click image for larger version

Name:	cafenoir.png
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	41429   Click image for larger version

Name:	moonlightdrive.png
Views:	252
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	41431   Click image for larger version

Name:	lastfinch.png
Views:	253
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	41435   Click image for larger version

Name:	dinosaurjr.png
Views:	225
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	41436  

Last edited by Moejoe; 12-17-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:42 AM   #68
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Even more new ones These are inspired by the covers of the Chandler re-issues in the uk.
I like these! Lots of colour and a nice retro theme ...
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #69
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
The retro font is called MrBass and it's based on Saul Bass's work I believe (the genius behind so many film introduction animations). I'm starting to believe that the font choice is the heart of all design when it comes to book covers.

http://www.dafont.com/misterbass.font
Old 12-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #70
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
I do like nice covers and even lots of color. I know our Readers are only black and white right now, but you never know how soon it will change.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #71
Rebeccaforster
Rebecca Forster
Rebeccaforster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
MoJo. Love the cover. I'm trying to keep my clean also. I didn't own the rights to the traditionally published covers so this is really fun. How did you import your covers into a message?
Rebeccaforster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:36 PM   #72
Rebeccaforster
Rebecca Forster
Rebeccaforster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
So sorry. I see it was MoeJoe!
Rebeccaforster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #73
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebeccaforster View Post
MoJo. Love the cover. I'm trying to keep my clean also. I didn't own the rights to the traditionally published covers so this is really fun. How did you import your covers into a message?

Hey there Rebecca,

When you're posting if you scroll down you'll see a 'manage attachments' button. Click on that and it'll allow you to put images in your posts

Oh, and welcome to MR too