Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-20-2009, 06:15 AM   #1
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Are You Ever Tempted to Buy Multiple Readers?

I know I can only use 1 reader at a time. If you own 2, what's the reason? If you're thinking of buying another one, why?

I researched like crazy on this board in November 2007 and asked a lot of annoying questions on this message board while I made up my mind. I chose the Sony PRS-505 and my new baby arrived on December 6th, 2007. Even though I love my reader, for some reason I wanted a second one. You guys know how expensive these things are, so I try to justify it by telling myself if 1 need to go for service then I still will have the other one. You know, like a spare car! So I bought a Kindle. Now I feel like I have the best of 2 worlds and can't imagine not owning both.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:44 AM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Lily -- like you, I own both a Kindle and a Sony. I bought my Kindle first and it's still my favorite device. I bought the Sony primarily to read the LRF files I had found here at MobileRead since there were no conversion tools to convert to another format. My second reason for getting the Sony was to use in testing the LRF files I was learning to create using BookDesigner and later Calibre.

I have never registered the Sony at the Sony store, so I buy all my current release books from Amazon.com. I have bought several multi-format books from Baen and Fictionwise. Hubby bought me the lighted cover for the Sony as a Christmas present, and its light is less bothersome to him while he's driving than the map light, external book light, flashlight, and even the laptop screen. (And, yes, I've used all of those for reading in the car at night, even long before I owned the Kindle & Sony.)

I wouldn't want to give up either reader.

Now to be honest, I'm lusting over the Cybook and BeBook readers and I'm looking forward to the next generation. I can honestly admit to just being a gadget junkie. I own two MP3 players and an iPod -- though I rarely use any of them!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #3
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

I'm also looking at the Cybook! I want a reader that read drm Mobi books but I'm holding out to see what are available in 2009 before I buy a 3rd! I guess I'm a reader junkie! Elsi have you tried library books with the Sony. Abode is not pretty but for free books I can handle it. I have 8 library cards from 5 different States with the help of relatives (all were free even the NYPL). Brooklyn library is my favorite, they add new books every 30 days, NYPL don't update as frequent. In fact Brooklyn adds all the NY time best sellers if they're available within 30 days. Now I'm searching for relatives that lives in Ohio, I want Clevnet! There must be someone out there related to me in Ohio!

Last edited by Lilly; 01-20-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I am. But then, my only dedicated ebook reader is a Franklin eBookman, which has been retired for ages. So, I am looking for a dedicated reader beside my Loox (PDA), even though I mainly use that Loox for reading.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I have 3 readers, CYbook gen 1 (which is my primary reader) and the CYbook Gen 3 and the BEbook, as well. Neither of the the latter have software that lets me read HTML/RTF well, which is what I keep 95% of my library in. (I prefer simple, open source formats so I can fix errors in the texts easily...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
In one word: NO

I have a Cybook and it has all the functionality I want but for one exception. I would like the search-function which (afaik) the new Sony has.
Sometimes I really would like to search for the first appearance of a name in a book, just to remember who the ..... that person is anyhow... (anybody with Wheel of Time in ebook-format over here ??? )
But I wouldn't want to buy an extra reader just for that purpose..
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I only have three eink readers. The Sony PRS-500 because it was the only thing available at the time. The Cybook Gen3 because I wanted dictionary capability and ability to read Mobipocket. Sony was the only source to purchase LRF books at that time and PRCs were widely available. The EZ Reader when my Cybook seemed to die and I panicked.

Of them all I read the EZ Reader most often and occasionally the Cybook when the EZ Reader is charging. My daughter inherited the Sony.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
After giving up on reading on y cell phones I started with the EBW1150 and now the Sony 700. My wife is using the EBW now and so I'm glad I bought it as I can get her moved to ebooks and we can turn the library into an office now! (Just as soon as I can convince her to let me sell a room full of paperbacks 500 are hers, and around 3,000 are mine. <cough> I never threw a single one out and now I am too spoiled to use dead tree's.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
No way! I'm stupendously happy with mine and it goes everywhere with me
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Only got the one, and more than happy with that....in a nutshell it does what I want from a battery driven reading device.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:11 AM   #11
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
No way! I'm stupendously happy with mine and it goes everywhere with me

Lilac I don't think my need to collect multiple readers is due to being unhappy with my PRS-505;I love my Sony! I'm just weak and gadget freak!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #12
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

I have two: Cybook Gen 3 and Sony prs 505.

I have explained my reasons detailed in my post “I went to the Dark Side!”, but mainly it’s because:

1 – I wanted to experience with ePub and reflowing PDF reading;
2 – have a second reader when one will die…

How I do today, well, I keep on preferring the Cybook, but I’m using more and more the 505 outside in technical/academic environments, because mainly the PDF reflow functionality that has been proving to be quite invaluable (more then 70% documents easily reading this way).
ePub for me, without justification is useless compared with lrf, and thus when reading (for leisure) with the 505 I use this format.

About the lusting for the Cybook… he… he… you should have bought the best reader in the first place…
(just joking, not intended to diminish the other readers, just liking the dam thing).

Best,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Only got the one, and more than happy with that....in a nutshell it does what I want from a battery driven reading device.

I'll add a rider to this,

I may need another Cybook as a backup to my Cybook (?!); then possibly another as backup to that one ........
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:43 AM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Not for me personally, I really like my 505. But I have bought several devices as gifts and have a smart phone I've started to use as a spare eBook Reader.

However I have been very tempted to buy the kindle, but only to have access to their ebook selection and prices.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:24 AM   #15
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Not for me personally, I really like my 505. But I have bought several devices as gifts and have a smart phone I've started to use as a spare eBook Reader.

However I have been very tempted to buy the kindle, but only to have access to their ebook selection and prices.

=X=
That was the exact reason why I got the Kindle. The Kindle does spoil you though. Even though, I buy all my books using a computer instead of whispernet, all you have to do is push a button that says send it to my Kindle, turn whispernet on the kindle and the book magically appears on the Kindle. I then deDRM, make an LRF version and load it on my PRS-505. I read 75% of the time on my PRS-505!