Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book shall we read for April?
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne 8 19.51%
The American Senator by Anthony Trollope 12 29.27%
A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes 6 14.63%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 7 17.07%
The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles 4 9.76%
A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 19 46.34%
Animal Farm by George Orwell 16 39.02%
The Good Soldier Svejk by Jaroslav Hasek 6 14.63%
All Men Are Mortal by Simone de Beauvoir 7 17.07%
The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper 7 17.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #31
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post

My husband and I were actually talking about his morning. Is that his given name? I can't imagine him as a a baby or young child; talk about the burden of having a name "bigger" than you are.
It is--or most of it--his full name given at birth is Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch. BTW he is going to be the voice of Smaug and also The Necromancer in the coming continuations of The Hobbit.

I love him in Sherlock. Steven Moffat who wrote the series said that he has simply elaborated on the Doyle stories--sometimes quite cleverly. Watson was shot in the shoulder by a Jezail bullet in A Study In Scarlet but in a later story Watson says he was shot in the leg. Moffat has his Watson wounded in the shoulder while in Afghanistan but suffering psychologically from a phantom pain in his leg {which is why he uses a cane).

Moffat also admired the Rathbone/Bruce Holmes films from the late thirties and forties. And there are a number of cinematic nods to them as well.

Personally I think the series is a tour de force but not for the purist--you have to go to Jeremy Brett if you want the stories very close to the Doyle originals. I wouldn't be without any of the three versions. I think there's room for them all.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 03-29-2013 at 02:54 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #32
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
It is--or most of it--his full name given at birth is Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch. BTW he is going to be the voice of Smaug and also The Necromancer in the coming continuations of The Hobbit.
Nice!*

*Name & movie news.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It looks like one of the two books I voted for is going to win. Very nice for a change.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #34
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Oh, yes. I realize this is getting a bit afield of the topic, but I couldn't resist sharing this photo I just found:
Lovely! Mind you, Basil Rathbone got pretty close!

I have just been listening to Benedict Cumberbatch in the BBC Radio 4 version of Neverwhere, which I enjoyed very much.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #35
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
FYI, Sherlock is available for streaming for Amazon Prime Members. I highly recommend this modern adaptation like everyone else. I've already read A Study in Scarlet (and recommend it too), but I voted for it because I'd enjoy a discussion on it with others and wouldn't mind re-reading it.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #36
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Well, it's a dead heat at the moment!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #37
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Well I am not thrilled with the way the vote is going as I have already read Animal Farm and A Study in Scarlet several times. Of the two I would prefer A Study in Scarlet as it would lead to a entertaining discussion.

I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned the film The Seven-Per-Cent Solution, one of the oddest of the on screen adaptions of the Holmes character I have ever seen. Then I have not ever seen many of the others mentioned here. To me Basil Rathbone will always represent Holmes on film, even though everything else about those films was so lame; the bumbling fool of a Watson and the setting in the years (1939 to 1946) that the films were produced. Give me Victorian England Holmes every time.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
...I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned the film The Seven-Per-Cent Solution, one of the oddest of the on screen adaptions of the Holmes character I have ever seen....
I've mentioned elsewhere my love for that film. It goes completely outside the canon and turns the standard traditions on their heads, but in a way only a Holmes aficionado could truly appreciate. An extremely clever movie.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #39
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I remember reading the book long ago. I think it was by Nicholas Meyer.

Edit: And A Study in Scarlet has pulled ahead by one vote!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #40
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've mentioned elsewhere my love for that film. It goes completely outside the canon and turns the standard traditions on their heads, but in a way only a Holmes aficionado could truly appreciate. An extremely clever movie.
I've seen it many times. Mr. Williamson just passed on a yr or so back I believe. The book (and movie) do go outside canon but in a way (IMO) that makes sense. I mean no one really knows what happened while Holmes was gone.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #41
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Well I am not thrilled with the way the vote is going as I have already read Animal Farm and A Study in Scarlet several times. Of the two I would prefer A Study in Scarlet as it would lead to a entertaining discussion.
Your thinking is similar to mine. I have read Animal Farm too, and I'm not sure I care to re-read it. Although I'd probably have a greater appreciation for it now than when I was forced to read it in school.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #42
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Your thinking is similar to mine. I have read Animal Farm too, and I'm not sure I care to re-read it. Although I'd probably have a greater appreciation for it now than when I was forced to read it in school.
Freshman year of high school? That's when I read it.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #43
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Anyone interested in The Last of the Mohicans needs to read Mark Twain's essay, Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses. I read it at an impressionable age and it cured me of any desire to read his works.

Since people are revealing their voting strategy, I'll admit that I voted for my preference of the two front-runners and the books I really would like to read!

Last edited by issybird; 03-30-2013 at 09:12 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #44
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Anyone interested in The Last of the Mohicans needs to read Mark Twain's essay, Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses. I read it at an impressionable age and it cured me of any desire to read his works.

Since people are revealing their voting strategy, I'll admit that I voted for my preference of the two front-runners and the books I really would like to read!
I haven't read them either, but they are still extant and you can even buy "The Leatherstocking Tales" as an Omnibus at Amazon so obviously someone wants to read them. Every writer has critics I figure (even the classic authors had their critics in their own day) so each to his/her own.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #45
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Freshman year of high school? That's when I read it.
No. 8th grade junior high.