Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
seamouse
seamouse began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Question PRS 505

I am seriously confused now.

My 505 is not responding at all to the computer. ie I cannot manage books in any way. Sony's solution was to use Digitall Editions. This works fine for new books - I suppose - but not for managing my current content.

I have even tried re-installing from the original software but to no avail.

I have tried the DEP route which worked once but failed on the next startup.

I am sure that I am doing something basic, wrongly; but I don't know what.

Any help would be appreciated.
seamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please post your messages in the correct forum. I have moved this from the "News" forum to the "Sony" forum.

Thanks.

[Moderator]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
Are you using Calibre?

I've no idea why whatever software you were using has lost contact with your old books. A few more details might help.

What program are / were you using?
Are they DRM'd books, from SOny? or Other? or DRMfree books? or de-DRM'd books?

If they were DRM maybe you've managed to lose or corrupt your key. Maybe you need to re-register your device with ADE?
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
seamouse

Thank you for youe reply. The only software I have used is that supplied by Sony with the reader.
This is why I am so confused.
The problem started when I upated the software through the reader itself.
I am using Vista. As far as I know any books that I have downloaded are now gone - so I have only the originals- supplied with thereader. Not all of them would reload.

What is ADE?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
oggelbe2007
Limited Warranty
oggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enough

Device: A sweet PRS-500, DXG
You may have incorrect or conflicting reader drivers installed. Windows has a penchant for creating situations where numerious drivers will fight for control of a particular device. The drivers lock in a deadly embrace and the device cannot be used. This happened on my Sony after a software update on the Reader Library. Try removing ALL of the Sony reader drivers via the Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
Reboot you PC and re-install the Sony driver.

I had several problems using the Sony Library and switched to Calibre to manage my Sony - no more problems with it.

Good Luck.
oggelbe2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 06:32 AM   #6
seamouse

I have looked at your suggestion but there is no Sony software in that place.

i have downloaded calibre and even it won't "see" the reader.

I think I will have to float test it.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
oggelbe2007
Limited Warranty
oggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enough

Ok, then try it from the USB interface:

1. Connect the Sony Reader to your windows machine.
2. Double click the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon on the system tray.
3. There should be Sony Reader entries listed with a yellow exclamation
mark. For each Sony Reader entry, click on Properties -> Driver ->
Uninstall.
4. Disconnect the reader from the computer.
5. Re-install Sony eLibrary or Calibre.
6. Plug in the reader and it should be detected properly.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:42 AM   #8
seamouse

Thank you for your help. Unfortunately it didn't work. I have uninstalled everything I could find from Sony, about the reader, and installed calibre, and reinstalled Sony reader but to no avail. Windows opens a list of the files on the reader, but calibre does not recognise the format. I have triedn copying the error messgaes but that doesn't work either. The computer is two years old so I don't think it is that. If it is that then I shall give up on computers altogether.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
I had this problem with the Sony PRS 505 when I first bought it several years ago. For me, it turned out to be the USB cable. I wasn't using the cable supplied by sony and when compared to the sony cable, the sony usb cable had a longer usb insertion part. I suggest you try a different usb cable and make sure it is plugging in properly. Another way to check is to try attaching your reader to a different computer and see if the dive shows up in the devices window. Just goes to show that sometimes sizes does matter :-)
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #10
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
If you used the uninstallers from calibre and/or sony, there may be still some "residues" from the programs left over in the system.
You could uninstall calibre and sony library and then run CCcleaner (freeware, works with most win OS). This program checks the registry for missing entries and stuff to clean out everything unwanted. (it sometimes speeds up the system again, too).
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #11
oggelbe2007
Limited Warranty

Are you sure a Sony driver is not listed in the device manager under Universal Serial Devices or LibUSB-Win32?

If you don't see any Sony drivers in those two locations and you have Calibre installed then you may have to install the Sony driver manually from the Calibre prs505.inf file. Right click this file to install.