Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Kindle Question 1: TOCs

oooh, my favorite.

I've been making books-of-books using mobipocket creator for my Father's Kindle, which I finally got to see a couple weeks ago, not having one of my own.

When he opens one of my books, say, The Complete Works of O Henry, it opens to the first page of the first book, and he then has to select [ Table of Contents ] from the menu to find the other books in the collection.

This is different behavior from opening the book on my Pocket PC, which starts at the TOC.

Is there a way to make the Kindle, on first opening the book, open to the TOC and not the first page? (it's confusing - he wants to pick a sub-book, and not always start in the first one - which he's read).

Also: Does the Kindle support multiple TOCs?

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt View Post
Is there a way to make the Kindle, on first opening the book, open to the TOC and not the first page? (it's confusing - he wants to pick a sub-book, and not always start in the first one - which he's read).

-bjc
If you make the TOC yourself, you can put it first in the list of files (in MobiCreator). That way the TOC will be the first thing in the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt View Post

Also: Does the Kindle support multiple TOCs?

-bjc
Yes and no. Again, if you make the TOCs yourself, you can have a main TOC that links to sub-TOCs.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Yeah, the toc is the first file on the list in Creator. Which is why it baffled me.

Does it maybe also need to be the "First Page"?

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote