Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #391
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashsaga View Post
Hi all,

I have accidentally modified the files inside /system/usr/keylayout/keychars and keylayout while working on an app. (I should have made a backup, idiot! )

My power button in no more working.

Can someone kindly share these two folders?
These are mine.
I hope that they are not modified in anyway...
Attached Files
File Type: gz usr.tar.gz (1.9 KB, 268 views)
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:30 AM   #392
svit89
svit89 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO GLO N613
Kobo android with GPS

Hello dear Marek. I have some questions for you and for all.
i have modifed my kobo. I have add GPS module like in that page
http://www.dotmana.com/weblog/2014/0...-mini-gps-mod/

Gps work with Firmware LK8000 or Xcsoar. For example http://www.lk8000.it/news/226-lk8000...-and-kobo.html.

What i can do for run GPS on ANDROID FOR KOBO????
Please help me
svit89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2016, 05:36 AM   #393
rashsaga
rashsaga doesn't litterrashsaga doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo, B&N Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo View Post
These are mine.
I hope that they are not modified in anyway...
Thanks embryo. !
rashsaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:01 AM   #394
rashsaga

Lightbulb Kobo Glo Utility App v1.0

I have made a small utility app for Kobo Glo. Named it Kobo Glo Utilility :P

The intention of making this app is to make use of (otherwise useless) light button on Kobo-Glo within Android and to get rid of ghosts/artifacts while reading.

Download Link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rovcrfcna9...ility.apk?dl=0

With this app you can:
1. Configure Light button as a manual SCREEN REFRESH button.
OR Configure Light button as BACK button.

2. Additionally configure volume change action for screen refresh.
This may come handy if you prefer keeping light button as BACK (or set as NOTHING, but why would you do that? ) and still make use of manual screen refresh.
(You may use button savior for emulating volume button pressed action).

3. Bonus: Auto disable blinking of power/status LED at startup.

Note:
1. Changing button behavior will come in effect only after a reboot.
2. The refresh screen service should be running to listen for light button/volume event. (automatically runs at startup, if enabled).
3. Changing a button behavior will modify the file mxckpd.kl at system/usr/keylaout.
You might want to make a backup. (Change will persist even if you uninstall the app). You may choose 'NOTHING' to set it do default behavior.

Feedback/Suggestions are welcome ! Open-source-able on request.
This is my first android app.
Thanks everyone for the support!

Last edited by rashsaga; 05-14-2016 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:27 AM   #395
luppolone
luppolone began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Hello everyone,

is USB-OTG currently supported by android on kobo?
If yes, do you think that could be possible to plug a bluetooth module via an IOIO card to usb and let android recognize it?

thanks.
luppolone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #396
Mttdette
Mttdette began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GLO
Fixed problem- don't know how to delete post :P

Last edited by Mttdette; 07-04-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Mttdette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:59 AM   #397
tinkerwinker
tinkerwinker began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Hi priority ninja edit:

while I was doing stuff on my kobo a window appeared and I can't get rid of it or click anywhere since around 15 minutes.

It says:

Quote:
Bitte Warten
ihr tolino is im moment ausgelastet und steht gleich wieder zur verfugung. Bitte haben sie einen moment geduld
Which google translates as

Quote:
Please wait
it is Tolino busy at the moment and is right back to the wastebasket. Please be patient
there is a button below saying fenster schließen (close window), but I can't click it.

Any idea?

Hello,
this is my first post on this forum, even though I read it from a while with great pleasure.

I installed this ROM today on my kobo and it works like a charm! I installed F-droid and it installs good, and with VNC I can control my pc without damaging my eyes.

I only have a coule of questions about it:
I can't seem to be able to remove system apps. I tried with app mover, to switch them from system to normal apps, but it fails with a blank error (the root access is correctly granted). Any idea? I'd really like to get rid of google play and couple of things.

Also, is there a way to force the text to always be black? Like, really black, sometimes it is a lighter gray and as the kobo touch doesn't have a very white eink it gets difficult to read.

Anyone found a needing to force the refresh rate more, and never have the shadow of past activity on the screen?

Thanks again for everybody for the awesome work, it gave new like to my kobo!

2nd edit: when I plug the kobo to the pc, how do I allow the usb connection? Can't see it from debian

Last edited by tinkerwinker; 07-24-2016 at 12:51 PM. Reason: bitte warten
tinkerwinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:23 AM   #398
tinkerwinker

Quote:
Bitte Warten
ihr tolino is im moment ausgelastet und steht gleich wieder zur verfugung. Bitte haben sie einen moment geduld
Solved this, looks like I overestimate the kobo RAM and was keeping it pumping too much. I rewrote the SD and now everything is fine (so far).
The memory usage is still really low for being an android!

Using AndroidVNC and a one board computer (cubieboard) I managed to set up a full desktop debian, with mouse and keyboard and speakers. Now I can enjoy without damaging my eyes, thanks guys!

I'll test the OTG today or tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes, hope the kernel has it enabled

EDIT: tested with the Y OTG cable, does not work, I guess the kernel doesn't have it enabled. I'll tinker around with it, meanwhile couple of useful links of other projects thatmanaged to enable it

This has done the work with Touch 2.0 and other more advanced: https://github.com/LK8000/LK8000

Those guys have it enabled in Touch, Mini and Glo: https://forum.xcsoar.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1521

More about OTG and Kobo Mini (GPS, MicroSD, PC and so on with OTG): http://tophatsoaring.org/Kobo%20USB%20GPS%20cables.html

Last edited by tinkerwinker; 07-29-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #399
rashsaga

Smile Kobo Glo utility app

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashsaga View Post
I have made a small utility app for Kobo Glo. Named it Kobo Glo Utilility :P
I've open-sourced the utility.
https://github.com/rashsaga/KoboGloLightButtonUtility

Old 08-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #400
tinkerwinker

Just to report back:
on a 16 GB sd card I successfully moved both the ext4 partitions at the end and expanded the FAT32 (for user's file) until there was space on the right using gparted.
I left a bit of unused space at the beginning. Everything works fine, so far.

I didn't manage to use a swap neither with swapper2, manual creating the swap partition or other tools.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:34 AM   #401
luppolone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerwinker View Post
I'll test the OTG today or tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes, hope the kernel has it enabled

EDIT: tested with the Y OTG cable, does not work, I guess the kernel doesn't have it enabled. I'll tinker around with it, meanwhile couple of useful links of other projects thatmanaged to enable it

This has done the work with Touch 2.0 and other more advanced: https://github.com/LK8000/LK8000

Those guys have it enabled in Touch, Mini and Glo: https://forum.xcsoar.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1521

More about OTG and Kobo Mini (GPS, MicroSD, PC and so on with OTG): http://tophatsoaring.org/Kobo%20USB%20GPS%20cables.html
Hi, I was asking for OTG support because I'm currently using my kobo with xcsoar (flight software) that supports OTG. I would like to switch to another flight software that is only supported on android. Since I have my variometer and GPS connected to the TTL port on the kobo, and AFAIK android doesn't communicate with TTL, I need OTG to connect my variometer and gps to the kobo.
Please keep me updated if you manage to make it work.
Thanks!
Old 08-08-2016, 04:19 AM   #402
tinkerwinker

Hi luppolone,
in this topic tshering says that he was able to flash the OTG-enabled kernel.
I'm looking into it, but it's likely that we shall wait for him to share his precious knowledge!
Old 08-09-2016, 05:51 AM   #403
luppolone

If there is a willing android enthusiast that wants to help us, it seems doable to add OTG support to android installed on kobo, starting from chunks of XCSoar kernel code. I lack in knowledge, so I need help from people more trained on android.

Is there anyone that would like to help us?

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #404
flyinguigui
flyinguigui began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo View Post
I'm using my Kobo Glo as an Android e-Ink reader and I think is SUPER.
I'm creating this thread to put together all the "Tips and Apps" that I (subjectively) find interesting and can use, that are scattered through this "Android on Glo" thread.

- Installing (?) Android on Kobo -

1. Get your SD card Image
Spoiler:
__________ Touch __________

[MarekGibek's] For a Touch image, mirrors here. This image works on Touch N905C. For the N905B model check this.
[angor00's] Another Touch image here.
[MarekGibek's] For both the Touch and the Glo you can find the same images here.
[angor00's] This Touch image is for Dual Boot.
[MarekGibek's] Newer image for Touch with 'improved reading mode' (not for Dual boot).

__________ Glo __________

[MarekGibek's] For a Glo image, mirrors here.
[angor00's] This Glo image is for Dual Boot.
[MarekGibek's]+++ This is a modified version of Marek's Glo Image.
Updated: Kobo Rotate App, AlReader, TotalCommander, Moon+ Reader.
Added: Auto Mount, FBReader, ES Explorer, Display Brightness, BatteryOverlayPercent.
More e-Ink friendly settings. You can uninstall the Tolino app and still connect Glo with a computer.
There is a Stand-alone and a Dual-boot version. The Dualboot version has also the "Back" button (Light) fix.
[MarekGibek's] Newer image for Glo with 'improved reading mode' (not for Dual boot).

__________ AuraHD __________

[phj's] For the AuraHD you can find one here, but it seems there is a problem with the DATA partition.
[phj's] I uploaded another image here, with fixed DATA.
[angor00's] This AuraHD image is for Dual Boot.
[angor00's] A different image for the AuraHD (for dual boot) with new kernel from angor00 with instructions to create it yourself. Some mirrors here. Its in Russian. For changing the language, check this post.

2. Read some instructions here.
Spoiler:
I'm presuming you have Windows.

Download the working Android image from this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=151

Get image writer from here: http://www.vconsole.com/client/?page=page&id=29

Insert blank SD card into card reader and put Android image to your card. If your card is bigger than 2GB, you can expand partition which is Fat32 to fill all your card space with this program: http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html

Switch off your Kobo Glo and open it as per instructions from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...48&postcount=2

Remove SD card from KoboGlo and put it into safe place. Insert there your SD card with Android image into KoboGlo.

Switch on your Kobo Glo.

If you do not like blinking LED, switch it off as per instructions from here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=167

To connect AndroKoboGlo to PC you will need a driver - get it from here: http://translate.google.com/translat...-play-32350%2F
Follow the instruction from step 8

For driver installation in Windows 8 fxp33 advised to do the following:
click the : 2_vendor_id.bat before doing 3_install_su.bat

Note 1: Alreader which comes with the Android image above is outdated, newest one you can get from here: http://alreader.com/download.php?file=AlReader.apk

Note 2: You need Tolino reader to connect to PC, so before uninstalling it, as embryo advised get program "Auto Mount Your SD Card". After that you can uninstall Tolino reader.
Xtra Note: I couldn't make "Image writer" to work on WinXP, so I used RMPrepUSB. Its a bit overkill, but anyways ...

- Dual Boot Nickel - Android -

For the AuraHD the instructions are here. The links for the Glo and Touch files are at the comments.
Spoiler:
The first thing you need to download the SD card image with Android for AuraHD, Glo, or Touch. To create a SD card from this image you need Flash Drive Image Writer and at least 8GB miсroSD card. You can use micro SD card up to 32GB, you only need to move the last two partitions to the end of the card and extend the first partition. After you create the card you'll need to delete the folder .kobo from the created SD card.

Now you are ready to install the patch that lets you run Android from the external SD. First we create a backup internal SD card. You need to install this patch (fix-udev-tgz.zip) (alt link), otherwise the device won't see the external card, which will be used to save the backup. Connect your device to your computer through USB and unzip fix-udev-tgz.zip to the folder named .kobo which is located on the device. Next you need to safely unmount and disconnect the device from the computer. Then the device will be upgrading and rebooting. Creating a backup is a long process, it took me about 15 minutes. Now you have to download the main patch for AuraHD (alt link), Glo and Touch (alt link). Connect your device to your computer through USB and unzip dualboot-android-******.zip to the folder named .kobo which is located on the device. Next you need to safely unmount and disconnect the device from the computer. Then the device will be upgrading and rebooting. During the upgrade will be created backup, so be prepared for a long wait.

After the device will reboot you will be able to choose which system to boot. If you press the backlight button when the device turns on then Android will boot from the external SD card which was created earlier. If backlight button isn't pressed the standard firmware will boot from the internal SD.
Note: You can modify your existing Android image for Glo, to use it as extSD for Dual boot, by adding (and replacing) the files of the attached "Android System.dualboot.tar.bz2".The fix for the "Back" button is included.

- The Tips -
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
ioctl -d /dev/ntx_io 127 0
Kill the Screen LEDS
Code:
#!/system/bin/sh
echo 0 > /sys/class/backlight/mxc_msp430_fl.0/brightness
Both must be run as root (SU - SuperUser)
You can use Script Manager. Instructions here, or here.

Misc
Spoiler:
- Update the kobo rotate touch utility from this post. I don't know if the image has the latest version in it.

- I replaced the launcher of the image with LauncherPro

-You can then use the Power Control Widget to toggle WiFi On-Off and 10-50-100-Auto Brightness levels.

- I didn't create a Google Market account.
For downloading the apps from the Play Store, I use this page.

- Connect with Calibre instructions, here.

- If you want to change the pictures shown on sleep, shut down, low battery, etc., you can easily edit the MsgE6.apk with the APK Multi-Tool and replace it in /System/Apps/ with ES File Explorer

- The Apps -
AlReader and an eInk optimized version.
Cool Reader
Moon+ Reader
Orion Viewer (Pdf & Djvu)
EBookDroid The best reader for scanned PDFs. This version is the last that supports "our" Android. In All Settings>Performance Settings>"MuPDF internal storage size" I use 16 to avoid low memory crashes.
OverDrive Media Console More than 27,000 libraries worldwide offer titles via this App (Its a reader too)
Calibre Companion This is not a reader and not free, but if you find it, its very handy. It can read all your library's books (with tag grouping etc.) and open a book with any of the readers installed in the system.
Amazon Kindle 3.2.0.35 (e-Ink friendly) Never installed it, but maybe someone wants it ...

Dictionaries
Spoiler:
Aard Dictionary Get dictionaries from here. Offline Wiktionary, Wikipedia and Wikiquote!
ColorDict Dictionary Get some dictionaries from here and from many other places (StarDict compatible).

Misc
Spoiler:
Auto Mount Your SD Card, so you can uninstall Tolino reader if you like.
Button Savior (Root)
Display brightness It control (and closes) the screen light.
Battery Overlay Percent
Script Manager for scripts.
ES File Explorer File Manager In root mode you can modify system files (Total Commander can't [Update: from version 2.04 and on, it can do it also]).
Titanium Backup
Screenshot
Dropbox

Many thanks to all the people that made this real.
Hello,

Have you ever try to run android on a kobo glo HD? I would be interested in... but did not succeed with the very interesting method you are suggesting.

thanks,
Guillaume
flyinguigui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:35 PM   #405
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
I have not found a working image for any other device except the ones listed in the first post, sorry...
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinguigui View Post
Hello,

Have you ever try to run android on a kobo glo HD? I would be interested in... but did not succeed with the very interesting method you are suggesting.

thanks,
Guillaume
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote