Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
fbreader 180 for 902?

Kan the fbreader180 be added to the 902 the same way as to the PB360?
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:04 AM   #2
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Yes, it can be added to the new models as well.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
and you can also use Coolreader.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:57 AM   #4
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's been a while since I was on these forums, and now everybody is talking about Coolreader. Is it so much better than FBreader?

I have no use for the wrist flicking, and I don't do much customizing, just fiddle around with the letters a bit. The main reason I prefer FB reader is it doesn't refresh the page at every page turn, which compensates a little for the overall slowness of the firmware in the PB devices.

But I'll give it a try.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:56 AM   #5
franklekens
Addict

Well, it doesn't work for me.
The Coolreader app takes ages to load and none of the buttons work. By the time I've figured out all the difficult stories about keymap.ini's in the various threads, I'll be two years older.

The fbreader180.app won't load.
Which is quite a bummer, since the default fbreader app on the device insists on displaying some epubs in sans serif letters even though I've specified a serif letter in the settings.

So far, I'm not very impressed with this device. I'll try an update to 2.06 to see if that helps. But any tips as to how I can get fbreader180 to work (I did manage it on the PB360, but it doesn't seem to work the same way here) are welcome.
Or tips on how to make the standard fbreader force my chosen fonts on the epubs.

The AdobeViewer just takes to long to turn pages, to my taste.
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 06:20 AM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
The fbreader180.app won't load.
Which is quite a bummer, since the default fbreader app on the device insists on displaying some epubs in sans serif letters even though I've specified a serif letter in the settings.
Of course you would have loaded the FBreader180 that is specific to the Pro model, right? I am sure you have, but just in case. And when you say it does not load, do you mean that you see FBreader180 in the pop up menu but you get an error message?

As for displaying the proper fonts, I have found that this is sometimes a problem with the epub: with some books, even if the fonts are not embedded, there is no way to change the font - do you have this problem with other epubs?
Old 07-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
jekvb
Connoisseur
jekvb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PocketBook Inkpad 3 Pro; Android: PocketBook & ReadEra
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
Well, it doesn't work for me.
The Coolreader app takes ages to load and none of the buttons work. By the time I've figured out all the difficult stories about keymap.ini's in the various threads, I'll be two years older.
Hallo Frank,

Though I am not a very experienced e-book user, this does not sound right to me.
Please let us know how long "takes ages to load" really is?
Is it 20 seconds or 20 minutes (or 20 days)?.
Just for reference here is a few loadtimes on my PB 903 of a 661 Kb epub file: first time load of the book = 15-20 seconds.
Any next time load of this epub is about 6 seconds.
I am using the latest Coolreader (5.6) on FW 2.1.0.
jekvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #8
franklekens
Addict

Paola, you're a lifesaver. Many thanks -- no, I did not have the right version, I wasn't aware of there being different versions.
Having installed the correct fb180reader, it now works fine. So far, this seems to have solved all display problems regardings fonts &c, and the programme now entirely meets my modest wishes.
Apparently my faulty installation of the wrong fbreader180 had messed up even the default fbreader for the time being, so it couldn't display certain epubs for some reason. But that's solved.

@jekvb: I'll have another look at it and time it, but it really took rather long. (But then most books take rather long on this device to load the first time, with any of the programmes I've tried.)
But I'm not going to experiment with coolreader all that much. It didn't display the text in a way I liked very much, and I saw no easy way to change it. E.g. I could find no way to access a configuration menu for Coolreader.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
paola
Wizard

all well what ends well
Old 02-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
I am using only FBReader180 all the time. With it I made margins 2cm wide on both sides and similar or even larger ones at the top and at the bottom - this way the page of text is exactly of the same size as in real books. And wide margins provide comfortable reading at the edges of the page.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #11
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
CoolReader opens books faster anyhow (seems it does the indexing or whatever in the background) so there is no point in comparing its load times to other readers.

On the other hand if you're constantly opening books it might be worth your efforts to install it. I've never experienced those difficulties on the 602, but maybe someone here can share the key bind setup they use on the 902 to help you sort things.

Also it might be worth checking if you followed the installation instructions properly and copied all the files to the appropriate place, rather than just copying the .app file.

Last edited by J.C.; 02-13-2012 at 12:58 AM.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #12
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
I was not able to achieve the wide enough margins with CoolReader. The only choice I have is FBReader180. Unless a new version of CoolReader fixed this.
Everything is perfect with my PB902 so I don't try to update its firmware or software anymore.
So I don't have any problems with losing root or dictionaries becoming for evaluation only, or some other problems.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote