Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
Adam Reith
Adam Reith has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-350
Smile New to the world of ebooks

Hello everyone. I have just joined the ranks of new ebook readers with a Sony PRS-350. I read a lot of good reviews about the Calibre software and am pleased to have found this Forum.
To introduce myself briefly, I am a teacher of engineering in London and have always loved reading. I take an active part in many online forums and consider myself a competent amateur when using computers and other electronic technology. I am also a keen amateur photographer. I have many and varied hobbies and like programs such as 'Goodnight Sweetheart' from the TV and like looking at historical pictures of London from the 19th and early to mid 20th centuries.
I am sure that like many others new to ebooks, I find a lot of ebook stuff rather complicated and hard to get to grips with. An example is that I have downloaded the Sony Reader software, the Adobe Digital Editions Software (and authorised my computer) and the Kobo software for my PC but am having some problems in getting all these programs to talk to each other. I also have the Kobo and Kindle Apps on my iPhone.
I am hoping this Forum will help me to find out how to do things such as find the Kobo book files I have downloaded on my PC and transfer them to my Sony ereader. So far I have not found out where they are stored.
I am more than happy to be considered a 'newbie' because that is what I am and I apologise if any of the questions I might be asking are either silly or have obvious answers that I have missed.
It is great to have found you all and I will close now by wishing you all a Happy New Year.
Adam Reith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Sounds like what you need is a bit of technical assistance. Unfortunately I need to take a pass on this one since my reader is a Libra Pro not a Sony. However I do know something about Adobe Digital Editions since my Libra Pro uses that as well. With the Editions software you will need to download and install the software then attach your reader to the PC's USB ports. The reader will show up on the left pane where you can drag and drop ebooks to it. When you drag a book to the reader's icon the ebook will be written to the reader. Trouble is that I do not know how Sony handles the Editions software just my Libra Pro, never played with a Sony before but have absolutely nothing against them except price.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #3
Adam Reith

Wow! What an excellent start to joining a new forum. Many thanks for your speedy response jbcohen. I appreciate your help.
The Sony does transfer the files OK and I have managed to work between the Adobe and the Sony programmes but I can't even FIND the Kobo files on my computer so cannot import them into my Sony 350. They run fine in Kobo itself of course but I do want to transfer them.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Look into the documentation for your Sony and look at what file formats it supports. Look at the file format of the Kobo book you downloaded. Are they a match? Does your Sony support the format of the kobo book? Most PDF format books are encrypted so that you are forced to get all of your ebooks from the company that made the reader with the exception of the epub format books. Did you download the book in epub format? If you got it in PDF you will need to get the book with Sony's encryption not Kobo's encryption. My Libra reads the encryption for Borders and can read any epub format, thus I can go on to Sony's ebook store and buy an ebook in epub from them and read it on my Libra.

I also recommend that you put a new thread in the Sony sub-forum where you will get advice from other Sony owners. As a Libra Pro owner there is only so much that I can help you with. I have never used the Sony software and would not have an occasion to use it thus I can't help there.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Adam and welcome to MobileRead.

When I buy a Kobo book, it downloads to my Adobe Digital Editions folder. From there it normally moves into my Sony Library as soon as I open it. If not, I just import it ito the Library. Hope this helps.

And, if you're still having trouble, try posting your question in the Sony section.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Hi, welcome to MR from the Netherlands. You'll find a lot of answers in the Sony section.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have such excited new company, Adam. Be sure to download free Calibre lbrary software for an added bonus. I'm a Sony user, too, and wouldn't be without it. Happy reading and very best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I think you are quite beyond me, but I wanted to welcome you anyway!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #11
Adam Reith

Many thanks for all the replies folks. I was out yesterday so was not able to respond sooner. I will certainly have a look at the Sony forums and later will connect my PRS-350 and see what I can do about importing/downloading the Kobo books. I am also going to have a play with the Calibre Software.
Cheers one and all.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:34 AM   #12
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote