Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 01:32 AM   #1
JenObie
JenObie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Revising Author sort snag

[UPDATE JAN 24. Deleting original post as very long and no longer any need to respond. The problem likely resulted from my bumbling around, multiple clicking on everything in Manage Authors. I started afresh with backup copy of my Calibre libraries, and happily achieved the Last Name, First Name order desired without further ado. Thanks anyway and thanks to Adoby for offering help and reasonable logic.

Last edited by JenObie; 01-25-2013 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Lengthy request for help no longer needed; issue likely due to newbie user.
JenObie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I suspect that the original names were messed up, and that is why you have problems now. There may have been commas in the names, even though they were in the form Fn Ln.

Most of the names seems to sort fine, but you will have to manually edit the ones that don't. Remove junk and make sure spaces and punctuation is correct. Use ampersand & to separate multiple authors. Then I think all the names will sort fine.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
JenObie
JenObie began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
I suspect that the original names were messed up, and that is why you have problems now. There may have been commas in the names, even though they were in the form Fn Ln.

Most of the names seems to sort fine, but you will have to manually edit the ones that don't. Remove junk and make sure spaces and punctuation is correct. Use ampersand & to separate multiple authors. Then I think all the names will sort fine.
Thank you for responding, but, respectfully, no, that is not the case. To be certain of this, I renamed the top level folder of Calibre and reopened Calibre using my original Calibre library (from top level down, all libraries).I opened this specfic Cooking library from which the above missorted values example is shown in my post. I opened metadata and went thru every single one of the author entries in that library (!). The missorted author name values above were originally in proper Calibre default order. For example, Author field showed "Peter A. Cuillo" and Author Sort field was "Cuillo, Peter A." There are no odd-ball commas, whatever, in either field [and not relevant to my example, I don't enter multiple author names, just first author only].

So at the moment I have my original libraries (in default Calibre format) in place as active. The skewed author value library set is currently inactive.

I would, however, very much like to have the default for Author in all my Calibre libraries be Last Name, First Name in all instances (author folder in library, author name and author sort in main library browser).
JenObie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
In the examples you listed above, there are names with more than one comma. That suggests to me that the names are messed up. Otherwise there would only be one comma.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote