Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
lolomydear
lolomydear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Post Adding links to ePub

I work for a small publisher and we are just starting to create ePubs and Kindle versions of our books for our customers.

I was able to create an ePub version of a book from InDesign and used Calibre to convert it to a .Mobi version to sell on amazon for Kindle.

However, my boss would like me to add links to the TOC and notes within the text. Can someone explain to me how to do this? We sell the ePub versions on our site as well as the Kindle version on amazon, so I need to figure out how to link the TOC and notes in both versions.

If it has to do with the coding, I will need very detailed directions, as I am a complete dunce when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Thank you so much in advance!
lolomydear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolomydear View Post

I work for a small publisher and we are just starting to create ePubs and Kindle versions of our books for our customers.

I was able to create an ePub version of a book from InDesign and used Calibre to convert it to a .Mobi version to sell on amazon for Kindle.

However, my boss would like me to add links to the TOC and notes within the text. Can someone explain to me how to do this? We sell the ePub versions on our site as well as the Kindle version on amazon, so I need to figure out how to link the TOC and notes in both versions.

If it has to do with the coding, I will need very detailed directions, as I am a complete dunce when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Thank you so much in advance!
@lolomydear:

First, in epubs, you use a linking mechanism to auto-generate a TOC; in Sigil you would do it with header tags (h1-h6), and the same thing for Kindle files (.mobis, .prc or .azw).

HOWEVER, be warned that the Calibre conversion from epub to .mobi does NOT produce an Amazon-suitable file. I love Calibre, don't get me wrong, but when Amazon introduced the Kindle For PC (K4PC), they introduced a requirement for additional header space, so that they (Amazon) can embed a second layer of encryption (a session ID) for the files that will be read on a PC. If you try to download your Calibre-generated .mobi file from Amazon (as a buyer) to your K4PC, it won't work.

HTH,

Hitch
I Produce EBooks.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
I would recommend you start by taking a look at Liz Castro's new book, "ePub: Straight to the point". You can find a link through her blog.

I bought it recently and found it quite helpful in getting the basics. It covers ePub file structure, what InDesign can and can't do (and how to use it), and then goes into some detail about hand-tuning the raw ePub files. You can certainly learn about setting up a TOC.

You can get a lot of information for free by searching the Web or asking in these forums. But if you read the book first, you'll have a much better foundation to start from.

(Disclaimer: I don't know Liz Castro and hence have no ulterior motive for recommending the book.)
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:58 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
I would recommend you start by taking a look at Liz Castro's new book, "ePub: Straight to the point". You can find a link through her blog.

I bought it recently and found it quite helpful in getting the basics. It covers ePub file structure, what InDesign can and can't do (and how to use it), and then goes into some detail about hand-tuning the raw ePub files. You can certainly learn about setting up a TOC.

You can get a lot of information for free by searching the Web or asking in these forums. But if you read the book first, you'll have a much better foundation to start from.

(Disclaimer: I don't know Liz Castro and hence have no ulterior motive for recommending the book.)
I second that motion, and have read it as an ePub. I hope to get the print version tomorrow.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post

Yup, I bought it too. She's great. Book's swell.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
epub, kindle, links, mobi