Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
The Girl Effect

I'd just like to share this link with you all. A very worthy initiative to help change the world for the better

http://www.girleffect.org

Update: here's a video

Last edited by Moejoe; 08-22-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I think it's rather odd that if you don't agree with the first question, well, you must be wrong.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I think it's rather odd that if you don't agree with the first question, well, you must be wrong.
which question do you mean ?

i actually found this quite inspiring and definitely a worthy initiative. thank you moejoe for the link and the video. i'm spreading the word too.

(of course, i am a girl. so perhaps i'm slightly biased. or perhaps i just feel more personally implicated.)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you answer the first question "no", then the only option you have after that is "Well, maybe it is." That says that whoever answered "no" is wrong.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you answer the first question "no", then the only option you have after that is "Well, maybe it is." That says that whoever answered "no" is wrong.
i still don't know which question you mean, though. the first question in the video is "so what else is new ?", which doesn't really make sense (it's rhetorical), the next one is "what if there was an unexpected solution (...) ?" and i don't think that's the one you mean either... most of the "questions" in the video seem to be more rhetorical ones than questions actually requiring an answer, so i guess i'm just confused by your reaction.
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

I wasn't looking at the video. I was looking at the flash animation on the site.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I wasn't looking at the video. I was looking at the flash animation on the site.
ha okay. i looked at the site last night but now i was looking at the video, i forgot the site starts out different.

but, honestly, given the context, it's pretty hard to say that anyone who disagrees could be right. i certainly wouldn't answer "no" to that question. so i guess i would agree, anyone answering "no" *is* wrong, or at the least, maybe not aware of the situation very fully.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I love the idea, in part. There's just too much testosterone running around, generally. But let's not leave out boys. If we glorify girls, we're degrading boys and probably causing resentment. I remember when the "Take Your Daughter To Work Day" was popular here about 20 years ago. Then people rightfully complained that sons were being ignored so it became "Take Your Children To Work Day". I also recall, about the same time, that girls here were being given extra attention and encouragement in subjects like mathematics. That's great because they were falling behind but it probably meant that we were indirectly discouraging boys in the process. Can't we just encourage all children but show them that they can live life happy and productive without pumped up egos? Of course, we'd have to do that ourselves....and therein lies a problem.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I love the idea, in part. There's just too much testosterone running around, generally. But let's not leave out boys. If we glorify girls, we're degrading boys and probably causing resentment. I remember when the "Take Your Daughter To Work Day" was popular here about 20 years ago. Then people rightfully complained that sons were being ignored so it became "Take Your Children To Work Day". I also recall, about the same time, that girls here were being given extra attention and encouragement in subjects like mathematics. That's great because they were falling behind but it probably meant that we were indirectly discouraging boys in the process. Can't we just encourage all children but show them that they can live life happy and productive without pumped up egos? Of course, we'd have to do that ourselves....and therein lies a problem.
i do see what you mean, but i think most of the cultures this video addresses are already glorifying the boys so much that any assistance given to girls can only go towards a more equilibriated situation overall. also, if you look at the statistics given after the video (lower left corner of the post card) it seems that there are compelling reasons to invest in girls with the aim of improving living conditions overall for their community / the world. girls have a big effect on communities, whether directly (becoming business leaders) or somewhat indirectly (marrying and having children too young).