Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 04:46 PM   #136
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well the agenda to make money make me trust people less also.
What is that agenda is make money so that they can feed their families? Money making agenda is a good thing.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #137
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Well that is why most people work in my world. How do they live without it in your world? Born wealthy, slowly starve to death, or just take what they want?

Helen
Advert
Old 09-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #138
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
What is that agenda is make money so that they can feed their families? Money making agenda is a good thing.
No, it is not a good thing since it is a contradictory goal to writing a very good book. Books that sell a lot is nearly never very good books.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #139
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
I trust those who write because they want something from the potential reader (me) than those who write for more selfish reasons.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #140
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
No, it is not a good thing since it is a contradictory goal to writing a very good book. Books that sell a lot is nearly never very good books.
Only if you, and only you, get to define what makes a "good book." Any sensible definition would be built around the idea that a book a lot of people want to read is a good book. Sales rather accurately reflect that.

There's nothing wrong with being a freakish outlier, but you should realize that's what you are.
Advert
Old 09-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #141
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Only if you, and only you, get to define what makes a "good book." Any sensible definition would be built around the idea that a book a lot of people want to read is a good book. Sales rather accurately reflect that.

There's nothing wrong with being a freakish outlier, but you should realize that's what you are.
People usually distinguish between book that are very fun to read and books that are very good. For most people this is not the same.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #142
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
You can't be serious can you? Do you buy your books because they don't sell and nobody likes them so therefore they must be good?

Do you base all your purchasing decisions based on the fact that no one wants to buy these things so they must be good?

Do you expect authors to write purely for your gratification and that of others. Maybe work to support themselves and their family at a job and stay up all night writing for your benefit?

Unless you yourself work many hours a day for nothing, only greed and and a supreme lack of caring for others can explain this attitude.

Helen
Old 09-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #143
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
You can't be serious can you? Do you buy your books because they don't sell and nobody likes them so therefore they must be good?

Do you base all your purchasing decisions based on the fact that no one wants to buy these things so they must be good?

Do you expect authors to write purely for your gratification and that of others. Maybe work to support themselves and their family at a job and stay up all night writing for your benefit?

Unless you yourself work many hours a day for nothing, only greed and and a supreme lack of caring for others can explain this attitude.

Helen
I read reviews mostly to base my purchasing decisions if I do not know the about author beforehand.

The points is that if your goal is to make money you should not try to be an author. There are much easier ways to make money. And more easier ways to make money writing then being a fiction author.

I expect people that tries top be a fiction author to have other goals and motivatons then earn money since that will most probably lead to better books. And I do not want to waste my time on mediocre books.

You seem to have some entitlement thinking here. Just because people make some effort to be a fiction author you seem to say that they deserve to earn money on it. This is totally absurd.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #144
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
I read reviews mostly to base my purchasing decisions if I do not know the about author beforehand.

The points is that if your goal is to make money you should not try to be an author. There are much easier ways to make money. And more easier ways to make money writing then being a fiction author.

I expect people that tries top be a fiction author to have other goals and motivatons then earn money since that will most probably lead to better books. And I do not want to waste my time on mediocre books.

You seem to have some entitlement thinking here. Just because people make some effort to be a fiction author you seem to say that they deserve to earn money on it. This is totally absurd.
Yes, working and expecting to be paid for it is totally unreasonable thing... wait, how do you get all your goodies - unearned inherited wealth or do you actually work... AND get paid for it - that's different, of course because it's you...
Old 09-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #145
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Yes, working and expecting to be paid for it is totally unreasonable thing... wait, how do you get all your goodies - unearned inherited wealth or do you actually work... AND get paid for it - that's different, of course because it's you...
What? I have not said anything like this. I have said that if yout goal is only to make money it is not rational to try to be a fiction author.

People do a lot of thing without being paid for it. So I really do not see your point. Do you want to call everything somebody do for working and demand that they shouyld get paid?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #146
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
People usually distinguish between book that are very fun to read and books that are very good. For most people this is not the same.
Sort of like "eat your spinach - it is good for you?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #147
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

They say that the Bible is the best selling book of all time. You are claiming that it is not "the Good Book" at all?

OK, I agree with you, it is a bad book.

Using your logic, those books on Amazon that only sell a handful of copies are better books than those that sell millions. Hmmmm. I have a truck load of very, very, very good book that I can sell you. Interested?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #148
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
They say that the Bible is the best selling book of all time. You are claiming that it is not "the Good Book" at all?

OK, I agree with you, it is a bad book.

Using your logic, those books on Amazon that only sell a handful of copies are better books than those that sell millions. Hmmmm. I have a truck load of very, very, very good book that I can sell you. Interested?
Sales can depend quite a bit on marketing, and not have any bearing on whether or not the book is good. How many popular books have you bought and not read??

Since as is the opinion that whether or not a book is good is a subjective matter, why would the purchase of a book by you alter my opinion of the book's quality?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #149
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nicholson View Post
Yeah, do away with copyright.

See how many people will write books.

Only those with an agenda besides profit, and frankly, I would trust none of them.
Nearly 72,000 people at the Archive Of Our Own write for reasons other than profit, including me. It's a bit extreme to say that every author not seeking money is untrustworthy.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #150
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Sales can depend quite a bit on marketing, and not have any bearing on whether or not the book is good. How many popular books have you bought and not read??

Since as is the opinion that whether or not a book is good is a subjective matter, why would the purchase of a book by you alter my opinion of the book's quality?
Picture - if you can - my tongue quite firmly planted in my cheek as I wrote that.

As for books that I have purchased, I read all of them. If I buy them, I have established that I will like them. I have on occasion looked at free eBooks, and there I will discontinue reading if they do not appeal to me. I have also been "gifted" books that I did not finish reading, but not once have I purchased one and not read it.
Closed Thread

Tags
drm, ebooks, ethics, piracy, price