Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Issues with Wifi 1.9 Update

After applying the update today, I seem to be seeing some occurrences of page change requests being ignored. (ie pushing the D-pad right does not change the page).

At one point it even got to the point where neither left or right helped, and the unit seemed to be frozen.

I had to turn it off and back on, and then saw the book had jumped to 99% read!

Luckily I knew roughly where I was in it, and could use the Goto page function to skip.

Of course, that brings up the issue that the message says "page within the chapter"; for an ePub format (as opposed to kEpub) this would appear to be "page within the ePub".
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Yes, think of it more like Go to Page and Go to Chapter. Go to Chapter wasn't working for me, btw, when I was testing. Not sure what that is about.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lol.. Have to love customer service

My initial support ticket:
Quote:
Did the upgrade today to both the new desktop and new WiFi client. While reading an ePub later on I experienced many times "slowness" in responding to page turns, and at one point, it seemed that the reader totally hung. My only option was to hold the power switch which eventually turned the unit off and back on.

When it came back I was now shown at 99% through the book I had been in, although I knew it was closer to 50%.
The reply:
Quote:
Hi,
Can you please let us know what kind of ereader you have so we can better assisnt you
Thank you
Old 03-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
haahaha oh geez.

what a waste of a support ticket, i feel for ya.

amazing how people can't keep current for their respective jobs, customer support at kobo that would lead me to believe they should know more about the device than i do.

good luck.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Well it has now been suggested to do a reset on the unit, and see what happens. So... Reset done and just about to start loading material back on to it.

I did see one interesting thing though; when I went to discover the WiFi network in the house, it found my SSID but showed the security as WEP and of course was not able to connect.

I made use of the manual add function and configured my network as WPA2 and was able to connect.
Advert
Old 03-16-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

The mystery of the WiFi deepens.. I have two routers both set for WPA2 and the same SSID. Randomly scans show me either WEP or WPA2 for security.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The mystery of the WiFi deepens.. I have two routers both set for WPA2 and the same SSID. Randomly scans show me either WEP or WPA2 for security.
There was a list of known issues with the 1.9 upgrade posted here. One of the items said "Device won't connect to dual-band routers when both frequencies have the same SSID – change one of the SSIDs" Could this be what you're seeing?
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Maybe... one router is a pure B/G (Linksys WRT54 GL) and the other a B/G/N (ASUS RTN16)
Old 03-17-2011, 03:19 AM   #9
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
I signed in to my Kobo deskotp and it came up with the download an update window and I pressed to install it and nothing happened...
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
After my update, all of my books disappeared. They were still on the device, but they couldn't be seen. (BTW, I use Calibre exclusively.)

Calibre kept coming up with an error saying it couldn't connect to my device. Corrupted database. So I did a factory reset and wiped the slate clean and reloaded my books.

One thing I'm noticing now is that I can no longer change the font size with the D pad. I have to go into the Display menu to do it. If I do press 'up' or 'down' on the D pad, it seems to freeze the unit.

I'll keep playing with it.

-----------------------
Update- The problem has mysteriously gone away. All seems well now.

Last edited by 46jimbo; 03-19-2011 at 03:33 PM.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:15 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

There seem to be some REAL issues with font resizing in the 1.9 firmware. I've had both a hang that needed the pin in the back to resolve and reboots of the unit.

So far though this is only on ePub format materials; while I have bought books from Kobo I only have them in ePub format on the unit.

Time to see if I can get a reproducible test case I think.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #12
PookaLady
Enthusiast
PookaLady began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo , Kindle 3,Kindle Fire
I have had my Kobo for about 3 weeks now and have had no real problems.I have not had an update.It appears from reading these posts that the new 1.9 update has some aggravating issues.Is this normal for an update?
I did jump over to the link posted concerning advantages/disadvantages.
PookaLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
jonpitt
jonpitt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wireless
The 1.9 update became available for me today - now I wish it hadn't.
When I try to sync my desktop Kobo application with my Kobo Wireless, I get a message that "We are unable to update your device's database. Syncing could not be completed".
I tried a factory reset - but no change to the message given - and I now no longer have (my first) kepub book on the Kobo that I downloaded as a trial last week. It's still on the desktop, but I can't get a sync to download it again!
Anyone dealt with this issue yet?
jonpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Did you set your timezone setting - this has changed with the new V1.9 eReader software.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #15
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Maybe... one router is a pure B/G (Linksys WRT54 GL) and the other a B/G/N (ASUS RTN16)
Linksys model is just one of the best on the market, for not so
steep price. I would always advice putting dd-wrt on it and set
"g" only. If you put the same firmware on both devices, you could
walk from one room to the other and jump from one radio to
another. There is perfect tutorial on dd-wrt site.

People mostly have problem with "g" and "n" on different freq.
Not sure if it matters for kobo. What if you set "g" only for asus?

Btw, linksys boost models simply unlocking radio power. With
firmware I mentioned before, you could do it from web interface.
54gl is powerful little beast, for whole house or flat.
Best regards.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote