Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 02:53 AM   #1
benjaminsolah
Marxist Horror Writer
benjaminsolah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch PRS-650
Touch Screen problems (again)

A little while ago, I had problems with my touch screen after ejecting it from my Mac without doing it properly. I managed to fix it by clearing all the books from the memory.

I haven't touch it for a few weeks and just pulled it out of my bag then to find the mostly the bottom half of the touch screen isn't responding, which is really strange.

I've seen other people say I just need to take it back? Are there any other options?

It's kind of frustrating but it seems to me that these things aren't very durable. I read somewhere that weight on it can damage the screen. How much weight exactly? If I can't carry it around in my bag and it be able to handle the usual movements of my day to day life, it becomes very hard to see this as a replacement for print books. I don't want to have to nurse it around wherever I go.
benjaminsolah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
must admit, this does seem to be an issue with the 650, not heard of it on the 350 yet.
As you have not touched it for a few weeks it might be worth giving it a long charge first to see if that helps........

My 350 so far has been great, but I do have a 650 put away for my xmas pressie, hope it will be okay. I did check it before it was put away and all was fine then, just hope it stays that way.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 06:05 AM   #3
botrerta
botrerta began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post
My 350 so far has been great, but I do have a 650 put away for my xmas pressie, hope it will be okay. I did check it before it was put away and all was fine then, just hope it stays that way.
You know, I don't think it will be ok - I think you should pull it out of storage immediately and 'test' it for the next couple of months. You never know what might be wrong with it

You obviously have much better self discipline than me ...... I'm currently using the PRS650 I got for my birthday, the only thing is my birthday is still a couple of months away! I figure the saying "good things come to those who wait" definitely does not apply to the use of electronic gizmos.
botrerta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:23 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I've no problems at all with it.

Did you check if there was dust on the screen? As the touch layer isn't a layer, actually, but something that's "hovering" over the screen, particles near the edge of the device might interrupt it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botrerta View Post
You know, I don't think it will be ok - I think you should pull it out of storage immediately and 'test' it for the next couple of months. You never know what might be wrong with it

You obviously have much better self discipline than me ...... I'm currently using the PRS650 I got for my birthday, the only thing is my birthday is still a couple of months away! I figure the saying "good things come to those who wait" definitely does not apply to the use of electronic gizmos.
ROFL, I agree completely, however my Hubby doesn't so its been put away, at least I got to try it out first, you know, 'to make sure it is okay'
If it does develop an issue it will be sorted via warranty, at least its not my only reader, so no biggie. Plus I am holding his Kindle 3 ransom till Xmas too, while I flaunt my new Kindle at him constantly, just to wind him up, so I have my revenge. lol

Actually I am rubbish at waiting for anything, gadgets are the worst too. Which is why I bought myself the 350, to keep me going in the meantime

Last edited by babyd; 10-12-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
benjaminsolah
Marxist Horror Writer
benjaminsolah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch PRS-650
I took it back today and they replaced it on the spot. The new one works great. Hope it stays that way but I might be extra careful with it for a while.
benjaminsolah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
babyd
Addict

good luck with the new one, hope it all goes smoothly for you now
Old 10-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #8
dminoz
Enthusiast
dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.dminoz can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Babyd, you have a few Sonys, (Sonies? :-) - how do you find the Kindle in comparison? And is there any advantage in having both a Sony and a Kindle, apart from access to Amazon?
dminoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:11 AM   #9
babyd
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminoz View Post
Babyd, you have a few Sonys, (Sonies? :-) - how do you find the Kindle in comparison? And is there any advantage in having both a Sony and a Kindle, apart from access to Amazon?
Out of the Sonys the new 350 and 650 are easily the best so far. Compared to the Kindle, well I think they are pretty level really. They both have things I love and things that could be improved. I bought both as I wanted to cover all my needs. I had a huge catalogue of ebooks that I needed to use on my Sony, I know I could convert for use on the Kindle but I love gadgets so new ereaders are a must have for me and I quite like having different books on different readers, I now have a little shelf next to my real books, just with a row of ereaders, so I am getting my digital library of ereaders at last
I love Sony readers, they just feel nice. Good build quality and I love the touchscreens. Most of my niggles have been rectified with the new models so Im very happy (epubs fully justified, better screen, better touchscreen, nicer UI, ability to edit collections directly on reader) I also love the addition of the screensavers.
I have always wanted to try the Kindle, so when it was released in the UK it was a no brainer for a gadget freak I love that it is so cheap, love that I can get ebooks at a decent price now, love how easy and fast it is to get new books on the kindle. The Kindle is not as well built as the Sony, but it does have a user friendly feel which I think appeals to the masses more. The Kindle just felt fun to use, silly features like sharing book quotes on Facebook are fun, if not necessary. After using my Sonys for years I found myself enjoying the Kindle just by using it, where the previous Sonys were only as fun as what I was reading on them. Mind you, the new Sonys have levelled the field there now, I find them much better and more fun to use now.
The lighted cover on the Kindle is pure genius, I love that thing, very neat and very good light that covers the screen well. The Sony lighted covers are nice just not as sleek and clever as the kindle one. The whole Kindle cover is just way nicer and more protective than of the Sony covers, which I always felt were lacking a bit and felt a bit flimsy.
The naked Kindle feels slimmer and sleeker due to the rounded back and edges, the naked Sonys still feel thicker and chunkier in the hand as they are more squared. But then I think the Sony may be a tad more comfortable to hold due to this, to me anyway. Once in a cover though they both feel similar to hold.
Font size changes are better on the Kindle as the jump between sizes is smaller, the Sony still has too much of a jump between sizes for me, it seems to jump two sizes more than the Kindle. So font sizes are more usable on the Kindle, I can read comfortably using 2 to 3 different font sizes but on the Sony only 1 or 2 is really usable to me, its easier to find the perfect size on the Kindle whereas I find xs too small and s just a tad too big on the Sony (can be rectified with Calibre setting the font size but nice to not have to bother running my epubs through it again)

I got my Kindle 3 before my 350 and 650, and then I would have said the Kindle blew the 505 and 600 out of the water in almost every way.
Now the new Sonys are here, well, its not so clear now. They are all amazing readers with lots to offer, but there is no clear winner, anyone would be happy with either, it just depends on what you need from a reader. For me I wanted to carry my old elibrary on a decent reader, I also wanted to keep with the touchscreen, the new Sonys gave me that. The Kindle gives me cheaper ebooks and easy loading of those books, I can see a book I want mentioned on the TV or read about it, then have it on my Kindle within moments, love that, but it means I am also spending a fortune on ebooks now But I would not change that as I love having what I want when I fancy it, but then, what woman doesn't love that? lol
The Sonys have always felt a more serious ereader but now also feel more fun. Sony have done wonders with the new models, they have really stepped things up and made the reader what it should have been.

Last edited by babyd; 10-15-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:22 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post
<snip>
That's my thought as well. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

But while I do think that the K3 is a galaxy apart from its predecessors in the looks-department (I'd never have allowed a K1 or K2 to enter the house, they are beyond ugly), the Sony looks sleeker. And that's mainly because of the keyboard on the K3.

I also like the cover of the Sony, because it doesn't have that clasp (it works magnetically).

I don't have any earlier sonies (the only reason I bought the 650 was because of the touchscreen and as I heard the earlier models suffered because of the touchscreen, I decided not to go for them)

If you'd ask me right now which one I would buy if I had a choice, I'd go for the Sony, because the touchscreen for me is of more use than the keyboard (I highlight mostly, never annotate), and I can change the screensaver without hack! If you'd give me a minute to overthink my decision, I might go for the K3, because of the webbrowser...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote