Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #16
lovewisdom
Enthusiast
lovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheeselovewisdom can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Touch, Sony DPTS1
Sony's products have never got a right price. Only comes with an unbelievable price, but dropped over half price even within several months. Sony brand is meant for price, not for quality.
lovewisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovewisdom View Post
Sony's products have never got a right price. Only comes with an unbelievable price, but dropped over half price even within several months. Sony brand is meant for price, not for quality.
It seems like a folks have been using their Sony Readers for a lot of years. I would say that -- at least some of the models -- were high quality devices. I'm happy with my T2.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #18
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
Quality has a price...
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:48 AM   #19
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Sony always had good hardware in its premium products.
But since Sony is a midget among the Japanese giants (like Matsushita or Toshiba), she has to compensate the incomes by launching also less qualitative products, usually at competitors prices. The latter can be of horrid quality. But premium products are indeed premium. Surely, they cost also premium
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #20
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
I would buy a PRS-350 if it was the right price (below $40), but I would not buy one of the "newer" T1 and up, as I am not a fan of their build quality. I bought a T1 refurb for $50 but took it back as it was far from the quality I would expect of them.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:18 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It depends on the price and the model. I would not be buying anything prior to the x50 line.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #22
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Lately I have been tempted by the Sony T3 but the price is still too high. Maybe someday it will be more reasonable. That's if an online retailer has a batch of them and wants to offer them up for a good price. If somebody here knows of such a deal, please post it Meanwhile I will keep my eyes open!
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #23
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysclie View Post
Lately I have been tempted by the Sony T3 but the price is still too high. Maybe someday it will be more reasonable. That's if an online retailer has a batch of them and wants to offer them up for a good price. If somebody here knows of such a deal, please post it Meanwhile I will keep my eyes open!
Kaysclie which county are you located in ? I've just spotted some T3s slightly discounted I can't decide weather to get one or purchase the new Kobo h20 instead
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:46 AM   #24
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Kaysclie which county are you located in ? I've just spotted some T3s slightly discounted I can't decide weather to get one or purchase the new Kobo h20 instead
Yep went ahead Proud new owner of a red t3 in case
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:26 AM   #25
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
I bought a T1 refurb for $50 but took it back as it was far from the quality I would expect of them.
Frankly, I won't see any improvement in the quality of the products.

The cycle runs as follows:
1. new technology is launched - snobs and techies and other early adopters will buy it.
2. very good apparatuses are launched, although very expensive (compared to older generations/technologies and to last generations of the same technology, see point 4 below). If the machines are not up to the required quality, the technology would collapses and the investments will be lost.*
3. consolidating the market - the bugs were almost cleaned out, the revenues covered the initial expenses, medium quality and built machines populate the market
4. end of cycle - patents expired, Chinese went in, devices sold at factory prices invade the market, the quality control is done by the consumer (I like to call them green bananas, as they ripe at consumer).

*see the Blu-ray example - it was Sony who sold PS3 way beyond (400€) any BD-player (800€ and up), also owning Sony Pictures, that made BD live and outrun the competition (HD-DVD). 5 years later, PS3 was still half of the installed players, although sold as a gaming console.

PS: grab yourself a T3 and live happy, unless you miss the back illumination and waterproofness.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:54 AM   #26
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
*see the Blu-ray example - it was Sony who sold PS3 way beyond (400€) any BD-player (800€ and up), also owning Sony Pictures, that made BD live and outrun the competition (HD-DVD). 5 years later, PS3 was still half of the installed players, although sold as a gaming console.
I know it's a side issue, but I think what killed Blu-Ray players was the protracted battle with HD-DVD. By the time Sony finally won that battle, streaming video and video downloads had taken over what would have been Blu-Ray's market. And you're right, they were too expensive for about a year. But if they had come a few years earlier (before there were other choices) I think they would have sold anyhow.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #27
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
[QUOTE=melmac;2937386]Kaysclie which county are you located in ? I've just spotted some T3s slightly discounted.

Melmac....I see you are in AU. I am in Fl.USA. Lucky you, looks like you snagged yourself a T3. I am still looking and hoping!
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:57 PM   #28
linereader
Enthusiast
linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.linereader taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: none
gloss aversion & removable battery lust

Would not buy a gloss-body PRS-T2 at any price above $30. The gloss body was one of the dumb moves that heavily devalued the device to me. Otherwise yes to the t3 at about $80 or less.

If the device had an easily removable battery I'd buy it in a heartbeat at full price.
linereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 06:31 PM   #29
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I didn't look the glossy look too. I covered mine with a decorative DecalGirl skin.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote