Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
Jarulf
Connoisseur
Jarulf began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story hd, Nexus 4, Nexus 7
Fantasy with an Indian flavour?

Hi,
I'm just starting on the last of Glen Cook's Black Company books, Soldier Lives and realized I have read very few fantasy books inspired by Indian culture, myths and beliefs.

All I can think of right now is Robert Silverberg's Majipoor series and Zelazny's Lord of Light. And of those I've actually only read Silverberg and LoL is SF (which Majipoor also is really).

So, any ideas?
Jarulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Which indians, the ones in southern asia where the major river is the Ganges or those in the US that are frequently called Native Americans?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
India the country.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Jarulf
Connoisseur

The Asian subcontinent.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Song of Kali by Dan Simmons.

Maybe something from Salmon Rushdie (I haven't read anything of his yet)?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Maybe something from Salmon Rushdie (I haven't read anything of his yet)?
You really should read "Midnight's Children". Wonderful book.

EDIT: And it's fantasy, too.

Last edited by HarryT; 03-08-2012 at 12:00 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Ian McDonald

River of Gods
Cyberdad Days
The Dervish House
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
Jarulf
Connoisseur

That was quick

Couple of good possibilities there. I think I'll skip on Simmons as I'm not a horror fan, but Rushdie and McDonald both look very interesting.

Making a list, thank you.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #9
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Life of Pi!
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Jarulf
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Life of Pi!
That the one with the boy, the tiger and the raft?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #11
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarulf View Post
That the one with the boy, the tiger and the raft?
Yup.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
Jarulf
Connoisseur

I wonder if my poor brain can wrap itself around it. It does sound very interesting though. I'll put it on my list to read for when I feel brave.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
AndrewH
Fanatic

The fantasy element doesn't show up till late in the story, and when it does it's a very light fantasy element.

The first third of the book focuses on the boy's life in India and has some nice insights into Indian culture. The rest of the book... not so much.

The story reads like a memoir, so I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea. I enjoyed it, though.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I wouldn't call it fantasy but Life of Pi is one of my favorite books ever. It seems to be one of those polarizing books... you either love it or hate. I don't know anyone who said "it was just ok." (so go ahead... bring it on... tell me it was just ok!)

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Perhaps Liz Williams Empire of bones.
Her Inspector Chen books are wonderful Asian fantasy as well.

Colin Cotterill's Dr. Siri Paiboun series are based in Laos.
Not Indian but not Western.

I enjoy Glen cook so you might enjoy these
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, india, science fiction