Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #46
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
It is Android OS with a customized Amazon wrapper. Which version of Android they are using is still a mystery, at least to me.
I read it's a hybrid of Android 2.3 I can't confirm that but that's what several tech blogs have said.

I have 2.2 on my phone so I know the apps I own should work. However the more I hear about the Kindle Fire the less interested I've become. I mainly want a ereader for at night and this seems to more focused on other media. The Kindle Android app is really not that great if that's all they've included so unless it lets me run others ereader apps I see no reason to get this.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #47
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
However the more I hear about the Kindle Fire the less interested I've become. I mainly want a ereader for at night and this seems to more focused on other media. The Kindle Android app is really not that great if that's all they've included so unless it lets me run others ereader apps I see no reason to get this.
I'll bet that the Fire app store will not include anything that will let you read ebooks from other stores. My guess is that there will be a basic Kindle app, plus any other apps that read unDRMed files.

I see where Apple evidently is planning a device with seems to include a 5 inch screen. I don't think it will be an iPhone - it's more likely to be a Super iPod. This might be the closest you'll get to a multi-store LCD EBR. I suppose there might be something similar in the Androidverse.

But it looks like there just ain't gonna be a 7 inch LCD multiEBR. Or any dedicated multiEBR at all, for that matter.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #48
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I'll bet that the Fire app store will not include anything that will let you read ebooks from other stores. My guess is that there will be a basic Kindle app, plus any other apps that read unDRMed files.

I see where Apple evidently is planning a device with seems to include a 5 inch screen. I don't think it will be an iPhone - it's more likely to be a Super iPod. This might be the closest you'll get to a multi-store LCD EBR. I suppose there might be something similar in the Androidverse.

But it looks like there just ain't gonna be a 7 inch LCD multiEBR. Or any dedicated multiEBR at all, for that matter.
I prefer Mantano or Cool Reader so if it will work on the Fire I would be happy with that. I am gonna hold off on getting one till I know more. Before the Fire came out I had planned to get a Pandigital Nova unless they go on sale they are around the same price.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #49
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Think I be better off checking out different Tablets! Walmart has 1 thats only $100 2.2 os
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #50
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It is Android OS with a customized Amazon wrapper. Which version of Android they are using is still a mystery, at least to me.
It is 2.3.4, from Amazon Appstore FAQ
Quote:
Will my app work on Kindle Fire?
For your app to work on Kindle Fire, it needs to be compatible with the device's specifications. At a high level, it must be optimized for non-Google Mobile Services (GMS) Android 2.3.4 (Gingerbread) and a 7" screen with a resolution of 1024 x 600. Your manifest should specify support for large screens. Your app cannot require a gyroscope, camera, WAN module, Bluetooth, microphone, GPS, or micro-SD to function. In addition, your app must not be a theme or wallpaper that manipulates the user interface of the device.
This confirms that it really is stock Android with a skin, and dealing with skins is a known quantity for Android apps. If apk files can be sideloaded (which seems likely but not certain) any well written app should work well, there might not even be much need to jailbreak the Fire.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #51
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
I think they will. Amazon does listen to us as evidenced by some of the features they added or changed with the K4 line.
I actually think that Amazon seem to have ignored the user base at least on these forums. Prior to release, K3 users either wanted keyboard & non-touch, or touch with page-turn buttons. Instead they got neither.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #52
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

I think the best bet at the moment is a Nook Color running CM7, a Galaxy Tab, or similar. The NC is close in price to the Fire, and can run the apps from all the major eBooks stores, together with many standalone reading apps.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #53
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I think the best bet at the moment is a Nook Color running CM7, a Galaxy Tab, or similar. The NC is close in price to the Fire, and can run the apps from all the major eBooks stores, together with many standalone reading apps.
I went the Nook Color running CM7 route. It was utter crap. The CM7 developers never got it to work correctly. For one thing it was a battery hog, a problem they couldn't get a handle on. The Fire is cheaper and most likely won't require jailbreaking to run Android apps.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #54
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I went the Nook Color running CM7 route. It was utter crap. The CM7 developers never got it to work correctly. For one thing it was a battery hog, a problem they couldn't get a handle on. The Fire is cheaper and most likely won't require jailbreaking to run Android apps.
The battery problem (battery draining when not in use) has been fixed.
I'll bet you 5 karma that the Kindle will not have out of the box support for sideloading unsupported apps
Old 10-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #55
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Thanks. That makes me feel better about my Fire order.

I was originally thinking of the Nook Color and running CM7. On Sunday I ordered the Fire. For what I want it should be fine and I don't have to mess with rooting.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #56
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I'll bet you 5 karma that the Kindle will not have out of the box support for sideloading unsupported apps
See your 5 and raise ya 10.

I don't see any reason they would block all side loading. In any event, I don't see how Amazon would know which of the apps you are side loading are "supported".

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:56 PM   #57
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
From all accounts, it is 2.3.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #58
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
See your 5 and raise ya 10.

I don't see any reason they would block all side loading. In any event, I don't see how Amazon would know which of the apps you are side loading are "supported".
Simple, they could add additional code signing to all apps released through their app store, and then only allow installing apps which are correctly signed.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #59
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
They've already stated that they'll do nothing to prevent root, so I see no reason why they'd care if you sideload.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #60
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
They've already stated that they'll do nothing to prevent root, so I see no reason why they'd care if you sideload.
As I posted in another thread, that comment has been completely overblown.

Tags
collections, fire