Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-18-2014, 04:31 AM   #16
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Thought I remembered something like that.
Thank you for recalling, spread the knowledge my minion!!!!

Quote:
Thanks for the links, I didn't know either that they agreed on an ebook-citation method.
Also here is an explanation of the Chicago Manual of Style's method (one of the more popular style guides in the US, your country may have Style Guides with slightly different rules):

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/717/05/

There are a ton of weird typographical cases/rules... although I have absorbed many of the typographical rules just because of the sheer mass of books I have converted.

Although keep in mind that all of these Style Guides are just OPINIONS. You can completely ignore them if you want, and other Style Guide rules may conflict with others. Maybe an earlier Style Guide can even conflict with a later version of itself.

Important thing is to just be consistent with the application throughout your work, and as long as you get the gist across, I don't see a problem.

Consistency >>> "Correct"

For example, sometimes we just toss out certain rules because we don't like them, think they are hideous, or too annoying to work with. For example, certain Style Guides say there should be:
  • NO SPACES around em dashes
    • I tend to prefer this one since it is easy as pie to code.
    • Search: \s*—\s*
    • Replace:
      • (just an em dash)
  • Spaces BEFORE and AFTER
    • One of my clients insists on this, since it makes the justification algorithm on Kindles look a little nicer, and may look nicer on certain websites. This is also easy as pie to code.
    • Search:
      • (just em dash)
    • Replace:
      • (space before + space after)
    • Note: Also just need a few extra Regex to handle removing the space because of punctuation marks.
  • Maybe a space AFTER
    • Has to be chosen on a case-by-case basis. No way would I recommend this, it is a big annoyance!
    • There are ways to speed up a lot of this stuff with Regex, but it still requires you to decide on a case-by-case basis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dash

But as long as we break the same rules consistently throughout a work, it is ok!

Quote:
I have often thought the same, (especially since so many books actually do have *Real Page Numbers, at least give the restricted option) but you can't help everybody.

Quote:
What page is that on? My Kindle has different pages, so I can’t find the passage we’re talking about.
Yeah, that one makes me laugh too... As I said, three words can jump to pretty much any location (unless they are three REALLY generic words). You can easily just say: "turn to page 263, on the paragraph that says 'The world trembled ...'"

People with digital devices will learn to just ignore your page numbers, and just type in the words, and people who have the physical book can just turn to page numbers as usual.

The chances of "The world trembled" happening multiple times in a book is very low, and if it does, it would maybe occur only 2-5 times (can easily just FIND, FIND, FIND).
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:22 AM   #17
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If you want to put enough effort into it, you can put many anchors into the text and refer to them elsewhere in the text, TOC and in an index. It is a lot of work and you can not jump back to where you were, as in looking up a footnote, in all readers. Some have a back feature, some do not, including my older Sony.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert