Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 06:33 AM   #1
grzzly
Enthusiast
grzzly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
A little bit of philosophizing: Modern Classics

While going through all the "classics" of the recent past I realized that there are not really any great books that were written in the past, say ten to twenty years, or were there? Maybe I am just not seeing them but where are the Fitzgeralds and Orwells of the present? Is it just me who is failing to see them out of sheer ignorance or are they not there?

Or do we maybe need some time before we realize how great books written in the present really are?
grzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
There have been many great books written recently, but it's hard to know how many of these will stand the test of time and become "classics". By definition, a "classic" is a book that remains relevant for at least a few generations.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
grzzly
Enthusiast

Can you give me a couple of examples? Or a source where I can find them? Bestseller lists really don't help that much.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I can think of a few books I believe will become classics.

Mark Z. Danielewski - House of Leaves
Thomas Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow
Murakami Haruki - Umibe no Kafuka
Ian McEwan - The Comfort of Strangers
Victor Pelevin - The Life of Insects
Vladimir Nabokov - Ada or Ardor
Michael Cunningham - The Hours
Orhan Pamuk - My Name is Red

Last edited by GERGE; 09-07-2010 at 12:49 PM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I think we might be surprised at which authors, and which books will be remembered in a generation from now. I doubt that Arthur Conan Doyle and H.G. Wells, let alone their readers, thought they were writing classics when they wrote their most famous works. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some of the "classics" from our period are seen as essentially being popular literature today.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some of the "classics" from our period are seen as essentially being popular literature today.

--
Bill
Dan Brown and James Patterson??? God forbid!
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Dan Brown and James Patterson??? God forbid!
LOL.. well, probably not those specific authors. But there are some authors whom, despite their faults and obvious orientation towards a popular audience, might still be read in 50 or 100 years. I think King has about a 50/50 chance on still being read 50 years from now for example.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
grzzly
Enthusiast

Thank you gerge I will definitely have a look into those.

You may be right as to the popular books. Harry Potter for example I could imagine being read years from now also, considering the ongoing success of LotR among others. Not that I would say that they are necessarily perfect books, but then neither are Doyle's and people (me included) still love reading them.

The question just sprung to my head when I thought about how many great movies were released in the past years that I am sure will be watched years and years from now, but there was no book that I could immediately think of. Maybe it is because I am, or have been, far more into movies than into books that I don't really keep track of releases.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
some call me tim
Connoisseur
some call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguesome call me tim can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
I'd say Murakami will definitely be considered a classic. Others that I can see being up there, that I've had some experience with at least: Jose Saramago, Michael Chabon, Margaret Atwood, and Cormac McCarthy come to mind.
some call me tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I think Atwood might be like George Gissing. I didn't read others.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #11
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I don't think I'm well read enough with modern books to know what will exactly be classics, but I would imagine that with things like the Nobel Prize, Pulitzer Prizes, The National Book Awards, etc... some of those will end up as classics.

I don't think they have to have the mass popularity, but books like The Kite Runner or authors like Toni Morrison, Don Delilo, even Stephen King could end up as classics. I know there are many more.

I was actually surprised by how well written Stephen King is when it comes to his shorter Novellas/Short Stories like the compilation Different Seasons. I also enjoy it when he steps out of his straight up horror stuff.

The typical classic though will probably end up being more in the vein of social commentary as they often are.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
I think we might be surprised at which authors, and which books will be remembered in a generation from now. I doubt that Arthur Conan Doyle and H.G. Wells, let alone their readers, thought they were writing classics when they wrote their most famous works. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some of the "classics" from our period are seen as essentially being popular literature today.

--
Bill
I'm sure you're right. I strongly suspect, for example, that the Harry Potter series will be regarded as a children's classic 50 years from now. Most classics are not "great literature"; they are simply books that have stood the test of time because they are a good read.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote