Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-27-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Kindle + Amazon iPod app (Whispersync)

I have a Kindle 2 and my son has an iPod Touch with the Kindle app. I know they're supposed to be able to be able to make use of the 'sync to the further page read' option so you can start a book on one, switch to the other and pick up at the correct spot in the ebook on the second device.

Does anyone know if this works on books you've stripped the DRM from and/or converted to mobi format from a different ebook format?

By that, if I take a plain .mobi file and transfer it into my Kindle, I can open it and read it. If I then load a second copy of the same file into my son's iPod, can they sync reading position?

If not, is it possible if I re-wrap the file in DRM by mailing it into the free conversion service Amazon provides?

Gwen
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Nope nothing of the above is possible. As posted in several threads before synchronisation just works with kindle books ordered by amazon.com

I think the format is not relevant for synching its the link to the amazon store and your amazon online personal library thing.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen Morse View Post
Does anyone know if this works on books you've stripped the DRM from and/or converted to mobi format from a different ebook format?

By that, if I take a plain .mobi file and transfer it into my Kindle, I can open it and read it. If I then load a second copy of the same file into my son's iPod, can they sync reading position?

If not, is it possible if I re-wrap the file in DRM by mailing it into the free conversion service Amazon provides?

Gwen
I haven't tried the email, but I think the Amazon Sync only works with purchased books.

One way I sync non-purchased amazon books between my BB and Kindle is to copy the MDP file that accompanies the MOBI file. Transferring this file will transfer, bookmarks, highlights, and annotations.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote