Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2006, 03:33 PM   #16
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
You will need SD card reader. They are cheap, convenient and usully faster to transfer files.

Here is quote from CONNECT Help:
Quote:
Q. A compatible memory card cannot be recognized.
A. A compatible memory card which is not formatted in FAT may not be recognized by CONNECT Reader.
When formatting a compatible memory card, format it using the formatter supplied with the compatible memory card, or using Windows Explorer, specifying FAT.

Last edited by Slava; 10-12-2006 at 03:47 PM.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 03:43 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Be sure to copy any files off your card before you format it, 'cause they'll all go bye-bye if you don't.

To format, just right-click on the drive icon (whichever one your card shows up as) and choose format. Under the File System option, choose an FAT option, and then let it run. You can add a label there too, if you like.

Do be sure you select the right drive!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2006, 04:30 PM   #18
sloc187
sloc187 began at the beginning.

Thanks guys, I will try that tonight when I get home.
sloc187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:28 PM   #19
sloc187

Sorry guys, it didn't work. I reformatted the Patriot SD card from FAT32 to FAT. Continued getting the same aggravating result. When the Connect software does recognize the card, it puts a separate device icon in the list on the left-hand side, but doesn't give it a name like the Connect help info says it will. When I click on the icon, my computer freezes. I've rebooted my computer and reset the Reader resulting in no change. Any suggestions?
Old 10-12-2006, 07:33 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FAT32 should have worked just fine, my SanDisk is FAT32....

I'm fresh out of ideas. I know some folks had reported issues with some less well known brands of card, but that's more of a guess than anything.
Advert
Old 10-12-2006, 07:41 PM   #21
sloc187

Yeah, I wish they would just come out and say which brands are compatible. As it is, there's too much guesswork involved. Thanks for your help!
Old 10-13-2006, 12:03 AM   #22
NatCh
Gizmologist

Theoretically, they should all be compatible, if everyone is complying with the standard properly. Since it seems to be the off brands that have issues, my nasty suspicious mind wonders if the lack isn't on the part of the cards.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:53 AM   #23
sloc187

Well, Sony does specify that compatible cards work. May be a way for Sony to increase their bottom line.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #24
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
My frustration towards Sony would go up tenfold if that was an intentional action on their part. I wonder if any Memory Stick users are experiencing similar issues.

I obviously don't know much about the SD card spec, but it vastly confuses me on why different devices that are supposed to support the same standard (SD) apparently don't do so. I could see why there might be an issue with >2GB cards (as that is apparently governed by a newer SD spec), but AFAIK all older SD cards should be swell.
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:46 AM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremegene
My frustration towards Sony would go up tenfold if that was an intentional action on their part. I wonder if any Memory Stick users are experiencing similar issues.
I don't think there are any off-brand Memory sticks out there. I know that SanDisk has made them, but they're hardly an off-brand.

It wouldn't bother me at all if Sony intentionally decided that they weren't going to chase their tails trying to support every "SD" card out there that deviated in some small way from the standard.

It would bug me, a lot, to discover that the card I bought believing it was an SD card didn't quite comply with those same standards. If it can't be used in all SD devices then is it really an SD card?

Is it the Reader that isn't complying, or the card? The card would make more sense to me, the Reader isn't the first thing Sony has put an SD slot on, some of their newer laptops have them too. I don't assume that my laptop is at fault when some media or other doesn't want to talk to it, I usually assume (correctly or incorrectly) that it's a problem with the media itself, especially if the hardware is behaving itself otherwise.

I don't know anything about the cards we're discussing, however, so unless somebody else does and would care to comment, then for me this discussion is all hypothetical in the first place.

I suspect the "compatible cards" clause is a CYA move for those cards that don't meet the SD standard.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:48 PM   #26
sloc187

I don't know if the problem is with the Reader or the card. I called Sony customer service last night, but the person I spoke with couldn't help. She did state that there wouldn't be a problem using the Memory Stick Pro. She said that someone from Sony with more experience with the Reader would give me a call in a couple of days (there's probably about a 50% likelihood of that actually happening, I would say).

Likewise, I wouldn't have a problem with only Sony SD cards and memory sticks working with the Reader if they would come out and tell you openly. Throwing away money on another brand that I later find out is worthless -- I don't really appreciate that.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:54 PM   #27
NatCh
Gizmologist

I can vouch for SanDisk, and whatever brand that Palm puts their labels on. I think we found on another thread that the big names worked fine: SanDisk, Lexar, etc. I'd jump over there to verify, though.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:11 PM   #28
tekchic
Zealot
tekchic doesn't littertekchic doesn't litter

Device: iPhone X, iPad Pro
My Sandisk mini-SD and my Lexar 1gig SD both work in the Reader. My generic "Danelec" 512mb SD card does not work in the Reader. I've seen this before, where certain devices "like" certain cards better than others. Usually I've seen with SanDisk/Lexar, you know it'll work in most readers/devices.
tekchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:16 PM   #29
sloc187

I just wanted to let everyone who helped me out here, and anyone reading this in the future with the same problem, that a Sandisk SD card worked in my finicky Sony Reader. Thanks for everyone who helped me here!
Old 10-14-2006, 09:59 PM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist

Glad you got a resolution, sloc187! Thanks for letting us know.