Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-09-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
nook & Wi-Fi

I connected my nook 1.2 to my home network which is using WPA2 encryption, though I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I was at the device status screen and see that it switches from my home Wi-Fi to disconnected every 10 seconds or so. We have 3 laptops and they all have stable Wi-Fi connections at home.

Not sure if this is a problem or maybe a battery saving feature since I can load the B&N store fine and it's really only sending bursts of data packets when loading the store and downloading the ebooks.

Has anyone noticed this?
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
It only uses the wifi, if you are e.g. in the Store or update the Daily. That is at least the only time, when I see the wifi symbol in the status bar.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #3
KindleMan
Enthusiast
KindleMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I think that is a normal function of the battery saving feature of the nook. On page 56 of the Users Manual it mentions that the "the nook is smart when it automatically turns off the WiFI feature. For example, it does so when you are reading".

Lobo59
KindleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
CandyNJ66
Enthusiast
CandyNJ66 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
The Wifi does turn off when you are not shopping etc and just reading. It turns back on when I click on Shop
CandyNJ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Thank you for the confirmation, everyone.
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmar View Post
I connected my nook 1.2 to my home network which is using WPA2 encryption, though I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I was at the device status screen and see that it switches from my home Wi-Fi to disconnected every 10 seconds or so. We have 3 laptops and they all have stable Wi-Fi connections at home.

Not sure if this is a problem or maybe a battery saving feature since I can load the B&N store fine and it's really only sending bursts of data packets when loading the store and downloading the ebooks.

Has anyone noticed this?
You can "softroot" your nook and "lock" WiFi. Meaning, it doesn't dis-connect anymore, as long as you'd like to have it active. Mainly makes sense for the softrooted applications though...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
kilmar
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
You can "softroot" your nook and "lock" WiFi. Meaning, it doesn't dis-connect anymore, as long as you'd like to have it active. Mainly makes sense for the softrooted applications though...
Oh yes, I plan to unlock the powers of the droid after a small grace period.

Tags
nook, wi-fi