Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #61
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
For myself, the 350 is superior in every way to the T-1 (I have no need or desire for wi-fi), and I bought a new 350 for $129 USD about 3 months or so after the T-1s came out that I have as my spare.

It's all about what you like and want in a reader. For a brand new boxed 350, I didn't mind paying $50 off the original list of $179 at all and thought it was a good deal for the sturdier reader.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #62
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
I am a happy 350 user as well, and was hesitant to purchase the PRS-T1,
admitted the wifi is nice and grows on you, but is convenient albiet can be a distraction. Dictionary lookups are built in but google and wikipedia well you can go down a bunny hole quickly, and forget you are reading.

A few advantages for some the PRS-T1 has
1. lightweight
2. larger screen - some prefer the portability of the 350 - 5" vs 6" e-ink
3. more flexible Operating System (android - can be rooted)
4. microSD slot- not required as my 350 had over 200 books with built in memory.
5. audio output available
6. plethora of case options.. lol - referring the the 40+ page discussion of prs-t1 cases options! but Kindle touch or Kobo Touch case will work too

Still waiting to get one, but as I am Canada for two months.. the shipping/ taxes for stuff shipped from the USA is crazy.
http://www.provantage.com/sony-prsasc10b~4SNYH188.htm

19.00 for standard case.. 31.00 for shipping! ouch

Durability-
PRS-350 metal and plastic. The T1 is mostly plastic more or less.

Stylus is a toss up! :-)
350 -- convenient, integrated, but fragile (have broken 3)
PRS-T1- durable but doesn't stay put on/ in the PRS-T1 so I don't use it, too easy to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
For myself, the 350 is superior in every way to the T-1 (I have no need or desire for wi-fi), and I bought a new 350 for $129 USD about 3 months or so after the T-1s came out that I have as my spare.

It's all about what you like and want in a reader. For a brand new boxed 350, I didn't mind paying $50 off the original list of $179 at all and thought it was a good deal for the sturdier reader.
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #63
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
No you made the best decision by walking out of the store & keeping your money in your wallet! $130 for a 2 year old model is outrageous! This is precisely why I HATE buying things in Canada. It's obscene & I will not give these clowns my money! $130!! ffft

if you can shop more you will see PRS-350 is used for around 60$ USD on ebay etc Get the T1.. sony refurb with replacement (99.00 $) (includes accidental breakage) 2 year warranty 19.$ (like I did)
-- looks good as new..
Old 06-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #64
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Factory Direct, an Electronics Overstock/Liquidator chain in Ontario has had refurbished 300/350/600/650's available. I picked up a silver 350 and as of a week ago they had pink 350's and red 650's. They also had 300's and 600's but I didn't pay any attention to them. Check out their web sit to see what they have left. As I recall, the 350's were $79 and the 650's were $89. No cases though.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #65
tvuongpham
Banned

Good Deal on PRS-T1 Standard case in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
Factory Direct, an Electronics Overstock/Liquidator chain in Ontario has had refurbished 300/350/600/650's available. I picked up a silver 350 and as of a week ago they had pink 350's and red 650's. They also had 300's and 600's but I didn't pay any attention to them. Check out their web sit to see what they have left. As I recall, the 350's were $79 and the 650's were $89. No cases though.
I Found Frontierpc.com had the black case on sale for 15.58 fits prs-t1
9.99 shipping + tax
bought two .. one to sell later on ebay to recover cost of 1.. lol
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #66
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thank you all for your insightful input. Guess I'm glad I kept walking then as it doesn't sound like a good deal after all. Maybe if I ever see it for way cheaper I'd grab it, but I'm very happy with my T1 and the sight of such an 'old' reader just made me very curious! For me it would also depend on what, if any, new reader Sony comes out with this year.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #67
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuongpham View Post
if you can shop more you will see PRS-350 is used for around 60$ USD on ebay etc Get the T1.. sony refurb with replacement (99.00 $) (includes accidental breakage) 2 year warranty 19.$ (like I did)
-- looks good as new..
I've had a 300 & a 350. I sold my 350 for around $100 on eBay but it came skinned and with a case. I'm not looking for one nor would I buy a refurb for more than I can buy a new, unused one for. I still say Canadian stores selling a 2 year old model are insane asking for $130! My hubby even saw one at Walmart for that price.

We get the shaft up here so I give it back, I take my money elsewhere. The Walmart store where the hubby saw the readers was actually trying to sell the older model for much more than the newer model. There's no logic in that whatsoever! None! Usually stores try to clear out the older models by lowering the price to make them move and certainly they're lower than the newer model but not up here with these readers. It makes no sense to me.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #68
tvuongpham
Banned

The same applies in the states. Most retailers who do not have large volume of sales will keep the price high. They have no recourse to send it back to the vendor for a credit or otherwise and the inventory is still on the books for the higher acquired price. It depends on how much margin the retailer has to be able to reduced the price and still make a profit.
More often than not they haven't a clue about the product or would have sold it a long time ago or have the new ones already!

sad but true

Who knows what the new models will have. The current ones are nice pros/cons vs the older gen.. which are about 2 years old now..
Referring to the x50 series or PRS readers.

Quote:
I've had a 300 & a 350. I sold my 350 for around $100 on eBay but it came skinned and with a case. I'm not looking for one nor would I buy a refurb for more than I can buy a new, unused one for. I still say Canadian stores selling a 2 year old model are insane asking for $130! My hubby even saw one at Walmart for that price.

We get the shaft up here so I give it back, I take my money elsewhere. The Walmart store where the hubby saw the readers was actually trying to sell the older model for much more than the newer model. There's no logic in that whatsoever! None! Usually stores try to clear out the older models by lowering the price to make them move and certainly they're lower than the newer model but not up here with these readers. It makes no sense to me.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #69
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I agree, we do get the shaft up here, and I agree, it only makes sense to sell the older model at lower prices than new models. It made me look twice only because I know for the most part people here really loved each previous model of the Sony, and I've seen some comment that they didn't really want to upgrade, they were that happy with their old model!

I LOVE my T1, and I love it even more that I got it for half of what the stores here are generally asking.

Having said that, depending on what features any new model may have, doesn't mean I wouldn't consider that one, again, depending on the price.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #70
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
I loved my 350 too. I didn't want to sell it but ended up doing so. When I went back to the 350 it was so much smaller and I'd really gotten used to and appreciated the bigger screen. I didn't want to go back to the smaller one. I'd also come to really appreciate the wifi & direct library downloads. I couldn't use 3 readers so the extra Sony had to go.

I miss the pink and adored the skin I had on it but I have a T1, a Kindle non-touch & at one point, two 350s. The hubby was most unimpressed. lol I bought a silver 350 as a backup and sold it first.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #71
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
I see Nate has scoped out an appearance of the next Sony ereader on the FCC website. Although there isn't much detail it seems certain that there will be a new iteration of Sony e-ink reader. That's good to see.

TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #72
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, "PRS-T2" or "Terminator 2" :-)

Edit: Oooo I'm a "Groupie" now. (-:
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #73
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
September 29th seems so far away...sigh....
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #74
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Yeah, "PRS-T2" or "Terminator 2" :-)

Edit: Oooo I'm a "Groupie" now. (-:
Lol ok I want it already just because I can call it T2 they should definitely do a Terminator themed skin
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #75
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
But the T1 is so good.....there isn't much they could do to improve it! HD screen would be nice.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote