Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
pvdv
Enthusiast
pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, BeBook Neo
Help me pick my next read

Hello avid readers,

I'm finding myself in the situation that I don't know what book to read after I finished my current one. I am sure you all can relate to this "problem"!

I have narrowed it down to the following titles:
Haruki Murakami:
- 1Q84 (the entire trilogy)
David Mitchell:
- Ghostwritten
- Cloud Atlas
DBC Pierre:
- Vernon God Little
Jeff Vandermeer:
- City of Saints & Madmen
Edward Whittemore:
- Quin's Shanghai Circus
- Jericho Mosaic
Yan Martell:
- Life Of Pi
I'm aware that they vary a lot in subject matter, but nevertheless I hope to get some feedback from you all.

Last edited by pvdv; 03-23-2011 at 10:21 AM.
pvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Jericho Mosaic is the best novel in Edward Whittemore's Jerusalem Quartet. It also has the fewest fantastic elements.
Characters from the earlier books appear but the book stands on its own.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
pvdv
Enthusiast
pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks BenG, for your comment.
I've had to wait years for the translation of this book (in Dutch). I read a lot in English but since I read the previous books in Dutch, I wanted to go with continuity.
Apparently, the translator ran into some obstacles while translating it. Since I've read the previous three books years ago, it's good news to hear that Jericho Mosaic stands on it's own.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdv View Post
Haruki Murakami:
- 1Q84 (the entire trilogy)
Is it already translated into Dutch? I'm jealous!! I've been waiting to read it since it was published in Japanese.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
pvdv
Enthusiast

Yes it is. Actually Dutch is the first language it was translated into. The first two books were translated in June 2010, and the third was translated last February.

Last edited by pvdv; 03-23-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I vote that 1q84 be your next read!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I haven't read any of the others, but Life Of Pi is a great, quick read.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
pvdv
Enthusiast

Thank you Latinandgreek, Sun Surfer, that brings the total up to 3 votes for 3 different books.
I need more input people! don't be shy, spit out your opinions...
Old 03-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Life of Pi - holds you, and nice 'n easy...........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Life of Pi is one of the best books I've read in the last 5 years.... so that gets my vote!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
pvdv
Enthusiast

Life of Pi is looking more promising by the minute...
Old 03-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #12
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Life of Pi is pretty good. Ostensibly, it's an adventure story, but it's actually about...

The movie is currently filming here in Taiwan. Ang Lee is directing. It should be released sometime next year.

Last edited by SlowRain; 03-23-2011 at 10:13 PM.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #13
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
I hate to take the thread off topic, but could someone tell me a bit about Edward Whittemore's Jerusalem Quartet. Thanks.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #14
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
I hate to take the thread off topic, but could someone tell me a bit about Edward Whittemore's Jerusalem Quartet. Thanks.
Jeff Vandermeer has a review at Jerusalem Dreaming.
http://www.jerusalemdreaming.info/ar...er_quartet.htm
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:17 AM   #15
pvdv
Enthusiast

I actually found out about Jeff Vandermeer (Dutch ancestors perhaps?) because of the Jerusalem Dreaming site. Also, i have found a short story by him online, interestingly titled: Quin's Shanghai Circus... The man is a fan no doubt.