Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
scarab1
scarab1 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm PDAs, ectaco jetBook, Nook Color
E-book format that supports images?

Which e-book formats support images? And what tool do I use to create e-books that way?

I'd like to convert a Microsoft Word document with embedded images into something I can read on my jetBook.

PDF isn't an option.

Thank you.
scarab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you have MS Word on your PC, then try Windows MobiPocket Reader. It can import your DOC file and convert it to MOBI (the result will be in the directory MobiPocket uses for all ebooks, look in ? -> settings -> advanced).

If the original images are larger than the jetbook screen screen (480x600 pixels), I suggest making them smaller before doing the conversion. I'm not sure if this can be done successfully in MS Word or not. If not, you may have to use MobiPocket Creator, instead of MobiPocket Reader, since it gives you access to the pieces of the ebook (including the images) before building the MOBI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarab1 View Post
Which e-book formats support images? And what tool do I use to create e-books that way?

I'd like to convert a Microsoft Word document with embedded images into something I can read on my jetBook.

PDF isn't an option.

Thank you.
just save it as RTF file. jetBook has support for RTF format.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:58 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
RTF really isn't terribly good for images. Because RTF is an "interchange file format", images are stored in a very inefficient manner; a single 100kb JPEG image added to an RTF file can increase the size of the RTF by 5MB or more.

Using a "real" eBook format such as, say, Mobipocket or ePub would be a lot better. A tool such as "Calibre" should do a decent job of conversion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
RTF really isn't terribly good for images. Because RTF is an "interchange file format", images are stored in a very inefficient manner; a single 100kb JPEG image added to an RTF file can increase the size of the RTF by 5MB or more.
Really? I don't use RTF but that doesn't sound right. How could adding a 100kb file expand the RTF by 5MB? What kind of storage is that?
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
scarab1
scarab1 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm PDAs, ectaco jetBook, Nook Color
I tried saving the Word doc as an RTF file - it went from 2.02 MB to 135 MB. I'm using Word 2007.

I just downloaded MobiPocket Creator and will give that a try.

Thank you for the suggestion.
scarab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Really? I don't use RTF but that doesn't sound right. How could adding a 100kb file expand the RTF by 5MB? What kind of storage is that?
ASCII encoded binary storage, though a factor of 50 blowup does seem excessive

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 03-04-2010 at 11:16 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #8
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm Just Curious. How many people already have Calibre?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:25 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

About 750K
Old 03-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #10
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
About 750K
Cool. I'm really Impressed! I have one year old Calibre version but it works very well for me
Thanks.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:52 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It's because RTF stores images as uncompressed bitmaps, with each pixel encoded in ASCII. The combination of the loss of the JPEG compression, together with the encoding in ASCII, really can be that extreme; I've encountered it myself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:21 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

RTF can store images in any format, I've encountered RTF with images in JPEG, PNG and WMF. Some RTF producing software on the other hand, probably written by the goons at Microsoft, converts images to BMP before storing them.