Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
indieauthor83
Enthusiast
indieauthor83 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire hd
Heading sizes?

If using 2 or 3 different sized headers in a Kindle book, what sizes would you recommend I use (or not use).

Suppose I opt for a large sized heading (h1), could that cause problems if someone is reading it on a smaller device - would the headings reduce in-line with the paragraph font, or would they stay huge, and fill the whole screen?

Or should I not worry about this? I guess most people will be reading them on e-readers that are made for ebooks!

All help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance - Zoe
indieauthor83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Heading sizes scale with the base font size, but even <H1> is reasonable enough with normal font sizes. Personally, though, I use <H2> for main titles on the title page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
indieauthor83
Enthusiast
indieauthor83 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire hd
Thanks Harry, I was thinking H2 actually, someone advised me H3 but after uploading it to my Kindle I'm thinking it looks a little small.
indieauthor83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:52 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The choice of level should be based on the semantics. If the default font looks to large or too small, change it with styles.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:45 AM   #5
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I used to use H1 for the main title on the title page, but the people on this forum scolded me for using headings for that purpose, so now I have a set of paragraph styles for the title page. In effect, that retired H1 in my books.

I use H2 for chapter titles, H3 for a significant (centered) sub-title, and H4 for a minor (left-aligned) breakhead. They are defined as percentages of the main text. You can see my style sheet on the blog at http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com/
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote