Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 02:13 AM   #1
Dalekmun2010
Dalekmun2010 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
New to Kobo, Need help with some stuf.

First, let me thank You for taking the time to read my post, I really appreciate it!

About a week ago I bought a kobo Mini, and have decided to hack it.
I decided a nice place to start would be trying the weather display thing.
I've spent quite a few hours reading through this forum, and have a few questions:

First Question: From what I have read, when a Kobo finds a archive named KoboRoot.tgz in its .kobo directory it will extract the contents to it's root, adding new files and replacing old ones, Am I correct?

2nd Question: I have been reading this guide, and have gotten confused at some parts.
Most tutorials say that You have to factory reset your kobo to start hacking, is this necessary for any other reason then to get the default KoboRoot.tgz file?

Question 3: The tutorial I mentioned says to add the code
Code:
/mnt/onboard/run.sh &
to the file /etc/init.d/rcS "BEFORE the call to nickel". I'm not very good with Linux, and have no idea where the "Call to nickel" is.
I'm guessing that nickel would start after everything else is done,
so I guess that
Code:
/usr/local/Kobo/nickel -qws &
(Near the end of the file) would be it, but I don't want to unnecessarily brick my device because of it. Could someone please help?
(I was thinking of putting the line right under the hashbang, but I'm not certain if any directories need to be mounted or whatnot; I also thought of putting the line above the first time nickel was mentioned, would that be safe, or still with the directories?)

Q4: After editing the file rcS, the tutorial says to run the command
Code:
tar czf KoboRoot.tgz etc/init.d/rcS
This leaves me with a KoboRoot.tgz with nothing in it but etc/init.d/rcS, and all the other files are missing. Do I need all the other files in KoboRoot.tgz, or do I update everything BEFORE editing rcS?
(Is Updating before hacking even necessary if I'm running the latest firmware?

Again, Thank you for taking the time to read through this, I'm truly greatfull!
Dalekmun2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Since nobody else responded up to now, I will try to tell the little that I think I know. However be warned, I am not even a linux user.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalekmun2010 View Post
First Question: From what I have read, when a Kobo finds a archive named KoboRoot.tgz in its .kobo directory it will extract the contents to it's root, adding new files and replacing old ones, Am I correct?
You are correct.
Quote:
2nd Question: I have been reading this guide, and have gotten confused at some parts.
Most tutorials say that You have to factory reset your kobo to start hacking, is this necessary for any other reason then to get the default KoboRoot.tgz file?
I do not think you have to do a factory reset at all. You can get the file by using Direct Links to Kobo Firmware.
Quote:
... so I guess that
Code:
/usr/local/Kobo/nickel -qws &
(Near the end of the file) would be it, but I don't want to unnecessarily brick my device because of it.
This (before this line) is exactly the place I did it too (and it did not brick my device).
Quote:
Q4: After editing the file rcS, the tutorial says to run the command
Code:
tar czf KoboRoot.tgz etc/init.d/rcS
This leaves me with a KoboRoot.tgz with nothing in it but etc/init.d/rcS, and all the other files are missing. Do I need all the other files in KoboRoot.tgz, or do I update everything BEFORE editing rcS?
(Is Updating before hacking even necessary if I'm running the latest firmware?
If you did not do a factory reset and your device is already at the recent firmware, you do not need to override anything but the rcS at this moment.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Welcome to the forums! Everything that tshering said is correct.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
Dalekmun2010
Dalekmun2010 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Thanks both of you!
So far, everything is going smoothly.
Dalekmun2010 is offline   Reply With Quote