Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
STL Droid
Edge User

Transfering ebooks

Hello all,
I have used an Archos 5 IT for the past year using android 1.6 and found that 98% of my activities were reading ebooks, watching movies, listening to music and browsing. Knowing that, I chose to purchase the Pocket Edge as 1.6 is fine for the moment as I really want a device to read books both indoors and outdoors. I have however, just ordered it and thought I'd ask a question in hopes of setting up faster when it arrives.

I have TONS of ebooks in epub format. I can easily move from the 5 IT to a 16Mb micro SD card, but how can I easily transfer to the Edge? I under stand that the Edge has a proprietary file structure compared to my android device where ebooks are simply stored in a folder called ebooks, where Aldiko stores them. I'd like to have the ebboks accessible by both Aldiko and the e-ink application.

Is this as simple as using the "Import into Library" format?

My ebooks are all in separate folders by author name, will that work with the imprt function or will I have to remove each one and import as separate files?

Thanks! Looking forward to my new device.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
borisb
Edge User

If you don't need to annotate your ebooks, you should be able to open them directly from the SD card by using the Storage app.

Otherwise, using the Storage app, you need to go one-by-one and long-tap an EPUB and "Add to Library". Note that this copies the EPUB to a reserved storage area, so once all the EPUBs are imported, you can remove the SD card.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
STL Droid
Edge User

Thanks Boris

I'll check it out when I get the device. I am used to having an operating system that has been modified for a device. I am very pleased that Entourage is actually discussing a 2.2 Android update even if I have to wait until April. Archos just totally moved on from my device, created a new HW model and we who own the Archos 5 IT are stuck at 1.6.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
JBrondos
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Droid View Post
discussing a 2.2 Android update even if I have to wait until April.
The schedule is April, now? I had heard February and then it jumped right over March into April.

Where does one get news about release dates like this? Does the company keep consumers well-informed? Do they have any reps who interact with owners?

Old 02-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
borisb
Edge User

April is *my* prediction. bmoc said "hoping for end of February, but more likely mid-March". Given recent setbacks since bmoc's post, I'm suggesting we shouldn't expect the release before April.

And no, the company does not keep consumers well-informed at all. We're left in the dark for months at a time when it comes to significant releases.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
And no, the company does not keep consumers well-informed at all. We're left in the dark for months at a time when it comes to significant releases.
I think they once did. Not sure what's happened lately, but somethin's afoot in enTourageland. Company employees once frequented the boards and could be counted on to both dispel myth and rumor, as well as chime in with timely info. No more.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
I think they once did. Not sure what's happened lately, but somethin's afoot in enTourageland. Company employees once frequented the boards and could be counted on to both dispel myth and rumor, as well as chime in with timely info. No more.
I completely agree. The change in Entourage's involvement in the Forum is striking. Entourage's only Forum involvement now relates to censorship of posts they deem unacceptable. The predictions of customers (certainly including anything I have ever posted) regarding the future of this device and its software are totally worthless compared to a carefully worded statement by a company representative.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
kenjennings
Edge User

It could be that the employees now need more time for work and have less time for goofing off in the forum with us?

We weren't getting much "official" company representation and statements in the forum, anyway. They have other pages on their web site for putting up official company news and announcements.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
NiaTrue
Edge User

But in the age of social media, it really should be someone's job to peruse and manage the forum; otherwise why host one on your site? And isn't that person Snow?

Old 02-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
But in the age of social media, it really should be someone's job to peruse and manage the forum;
Yes, though what if that person doesn't have information they can share right now? There may very well be a frustrated Entourage employee wishing they could respond but the state of development right now, and what's ready for public dissemination, doesn't give them anything to say. How many times can they say, "We'll keep you posted," without us then refusing to take anything they say seriously?

Old 02-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #11
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
Yes, though what if that person doesn't have information they can share right now? There may very well be a frustrated Entourage employee wishing they could respond but the state of development right now, and what's ready for public dissemination, doesn't give them anything to say. How many times can they say, "We'll keep you posted," without us then refusing to take anything they say seriously?
I don't disagree with this at all. Snow, in particular, has indicated that he can't comment on much of what is discussed on the forum. I was merely pointing out that what seems like goofing off is actually someone's job (or should be), a job that would include respecting company confidentiality.