Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)
NogDog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
2.5.4 bin file for K2US

I captured the update file for the K2US to go from 2.5.2 to 2.5.4. If you don't have wireless access or are just impatient, you can get it at http://www.kindleminds.net/2010/07/2...r-us-kindle-2/.
NogDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Any interesting improvement in this upgrade ?
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordcrasher View Post
Any interesting improvement in this upgrade ?
Presumably it's just a bug/performance fix, but Amazon tends not to tell us what's in these incremental updates, so your guess is as good as mine.
Old 07-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Like I said on KB, there's a Kernel update, a patch to the USB mass storage driver, and a bunch of updates to several components of the base system & framework.

Probably means we'll see one popping up for the other models soon.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Fire
Thanks for posting this up.

It's interesting...less than an hour ago I was looking at my K2 still showing 2.5.2.

I hadn't realized this was available on the site, but decided to take a peek in case someone had finally captured the update.

I downloaded it straight to the Kindle...went to settings, clicked on Menu and the update option was still gray. I looked down..and it was already 2.5.4.

So somewhere in that 30-45 minutes of me doing other stuff it had already updated and I didn't know it...my first update that's actually come OTA in over a year of owning a K2.

I'd always had to do them manually after a few weeks of waiting.

This will still help a lot of people though
Morpheus Phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #6
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)

Presumably this is a much smaller patch file than the 2.5.2, and as such either Amazon is pushing it out faster, or perhaps they simply allow Kindles to "pull" it in whenever they connect and a file server is available?
Old 07-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer
arvsinha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
It did not work for me - Update failed - error code U007.
Even uninstalled the fonts hack - No luck.
Did anyone else manage it????
Hope Amazon releases the version on their site.
arvsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Err, AFAIK, U007 is a mismatch in the update file signature check. So, for an official update, that's... weird. Either it was corrupted during the download, or you're using one of the first 2.5 jailbreak, which overwrote the default amazon certificate.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-21-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Amazon just released 2.5.6 to K2US owners.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Amazon just released 2.5.6 to K2US owners.
Yeah, that one sneaked onto my Kindle without me seeing it. I can now confirm that when an automatic update occurs, the .bin file does not get captured by the new hacks.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #11
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvsinha View Post
It did not work for me - Update failed - error code U007.
Even uninstalled the fonts hack - No luck.
Did anyone else manage it????
Hope Amazon releases the version on their site.
Presumably the update would only work if (a) you have a US-version (original) Kindle 2, and (b) you are already at 2.5.2.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
Presumably the update would only work if (a) you have a US-version (original) Kindle 2, and (b) you are already at 2.5.2.
Yeah, I do have the US version (got it in Jul 2009) and the version number is 2.5.2
But, Yes, I am still with the original jail break - maybe, i need to uninstall that too.
Was under the impression that the jail break did not need to be uninstalled.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #13
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer

Hey how do you guys uninstall the original jailbreak - the writeups that I am getting are saying that it would have overwritten the original signature (of Amazon) - would this mean that I will never be able to upgrade the firmware?????? :-(
Old 07-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
Yeah, that one sneaked onto my Kindle without me seeing it. I can now confirm that when an automatic update occurs, the .bin file does not get captured by the new hacks.
Yeah, that was my mistake ^^. I updated the hacks yesterday to fix that .

@arvsinha: Assuming you used the jailbreak from here, the file linked has an uninstaller, which will restore amazon's default certificate.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-21-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #15
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yeah, that was my mistake ^^. I updated the hacks yesterday to fix that .

@arvsinha: Assuming you used the jailbreak from here, the file linked has an uninstaller, which will restore amazon's default certificate.

Thank You Thank You Thank You
IT WORKED. I MANAGED NOW.