Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #676
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Jon - How does this differ from your CharisCompact that you posted previously, or is it the same? The compact version is very nice and looks great on the PW. :thumbup:
Maybe nothing is different. I'm not really sure.

But the one posted now is the final version. I'll have another one that's larger posted sometime this week. I have to tweak so it works on both the Kindle and ADE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #677
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe nothing is different. I'm not really sure.

But the one posted now is the final version. I'll have another one that's larger posted sometime this week. I have to tweak so it works on both the Kindle and ADE.
Are your fonts made for the last large setting? Because that is the font I have to use, older eyes, with even older bifocals. If they are made for smaller size fonts it squeezes the letters together. I haven't tried any of yours though.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #678
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Are your fonts made for the last large setting? Because that is the font I have to use, older eyes, with even older bifocals. If they are made for smaller size fonts it squeezes the letters together. I haven't tried any of yours though.
All I can say is try and see if they are large enough. This week, I plan on trying to fix the larger version. It needs fixing because i need to make sure it works on a Kindle and ADE.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:13 AM   #679
pippopelo
Connoisseur
pippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle 4th, Paperwhite 5th, Paperwhite 10th
JSWolf,

I'm not english, I'm italian, can you explain me the differences between Charis SIL modified, compact and smallcap?

Thank's in advance.
pippopelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:21 AM   #680
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Just wanted to say thanks very much to JSWolf for Charis SIL modified. It is much easier to read.

Of course, Murphy's Law, all the books I am currently reading have a fixed font $&@!
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #681
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippopelo View Post
JSWolf,

I'm not english, I'm italian, can you explain me the differences between Charis SIL modified, compact and smallcap?

Thank's in advance.
In typography, small capitals (usually abbreviated small caps) are uppercase (capital) characters set at the same height and weight as surrounding lowercase (small) letters or text figures. They are used in running text to prevent capitalized words from appearing too large on the page, and as a method of emphasis or distinctiveness for text alongside or instead of italics, or when boldface is inappropriate.

The difference between Modified and Compact is the line space in KF8 (with eInk Kindles). The Compact gives a tighter line space when used with KF8. Modified give a less tight line space, but still tighter then any of the default fonts. You get the lines closer together with Compact. Some may prefer the tighter space or can go with the looser line space aka Modified. Which you choose is up to you. As for Mobi, Modified and Compact are the same.

Line spacing is the space between the lines of text in a paragraph.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #682
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
Of course, Murphy's Law, all the books I am currently reading have a fixed font $&@!
Any books I buy where the publisher font can't be turned off immediately gets returned for a refund It just annoys me too much and some of them don't render too well on the PW and are almost unreadable.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #683
pippopelo
Connoisseur
pippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enoughpippopelo will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle 4th, Paperwhite 5th, Paperwhite 10th
Thank you very much JSWOlf, now I understand everything.

Ciao e mille grazie.
pippopelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #684
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Any books I buy where the publisher font can't be turned off immediately gets returned for a refund It just annoys me too much and some of them don't render too well on the PW and are almost unreadable.
Use the USE_ALT_FONT trick on your PW. Take a font you like and get a copy of Type Light (if on Windows) and change the internal naming to match that of Times New Roman. Then when you get a book that the font cannot be changed, change it to the Times new Roman named font. That should work if it's the Word was used to make that eBook and thus, it's looking for Times New Roman screw up when Word is used.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-27-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #685
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I shall be working on Charis SIL Larger on Friday. I hope to have it fixed on Friday. I'm only going to release one version of this as I don't think we need multiple versions with different line space.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #686
freedumb2000
freedumb2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Quote:
I shall be working on Charis SIL Larger on Friday. I hope to have it fixed on Friday. I'm only going to release one version of this as I don't think we need multiple versions with different line space.
I am using your CharisSIL-Modified font right now. It is actually my favourite font so far.
freedumb2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #687
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedumb2000 View Post
I am using your CharisSIL-Modified font right now. It is actually my favourite font so far.
I'm glad you like it.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #688
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Talking

Quote:
All I can say is try and see if they are large enough. This week, I plan on trying to fix the larger version. It needs fixing because i need to make sure it works on a Kindle and ADE.
Will you PM me or somehow wave a flag when you finish the larger font for the visually impaired people? Thanks :-) I am kinda afraid to visit the sites that have ads after reading Blossoms post. I don't want a virus. I have had to redo my computer more times than I care to mention.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:20 AM   #689
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Use the USE_ALT_FONT trick on your PW. Take a font you like and get a copy of Type Light (if on Windows) and change the internal naming to match that of Times New Roman. Then when you get a book that the font cannot be changed, change it to the Times new Roman named font. That should work if it's the Word was used to make that eBook and thus, it's looking for Times New Roman screw up when Word is used.
My books get sprinkled with Alf magic so I could just strip the font in Calibre but that's not the point. If publishers can't be bothered to make a minimum of effort with their ebooks, then I can't be bothered to read them. I now check any new books whilst still in the refund window - if the font is locked then I delete the offending book(s) and do a return/refund. I've also sent some feedback to Amazon about the locked publisher font in some books (though I guess the chances of them doing anything about that is probably nil)
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #690
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Will you PM me or somehow wave a flag when you finish the larger font for the visually impaired people? Thanks :-) I am kinda afraid to visit the sites that have ads after reading Blossoms post. I don't want a virus. I have had to redo my computer more times than I care to mention.
MediaFire is safe or I would not be using it. When I have the larger version of Charis SIL done, I will be posting the link in this thread. So just keep a look out in this thread for my post saying it's done.

Even though the size is about the same as the default font, you do get more text on screen. do to tighter spacing with the letters and tighter spacing with the lines.