Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #196
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Retired Civil Service and Contractors are not authorized access unless they are also in one of the 'higher' categories listed above.

Oh, well, it was worth looking up the FAQ...
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:19 AM   #197
trekker99
Enthusiast
trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekker99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I did email my local library, but I haven't heard back yet. I couldn't find a link to email the Singapore library.
Your best bet is to recommend the book: http://www.pl.sg/page/PlJustBrowseAc...RecommendTitle

I have done this for print books and have been successful in the two or three times I have done this.
trekker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 04:44 AM   #198
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Updated Jan 7th. Many libraries reduced their inventory.

Seattle now has most titles as listed by Overdrive.
Indianapolis added almost 8000 titles.
A couple of new entries and several removed from list. I shortened the list to keep it manageable.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #199
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Many libraries REDUCED their inventory? Why, fbone, why? Are they HarperCollins books after 26 checkouts? Because other than that, the licenses should last forever?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #200
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Many libraries REDUCED their inventory? Why, fbone, why? Are they HarperCollins books after 26 checkouts? Because other than that, the licenses should last forever?

eP
I'm sorry; I do not know.

It could be an Overdrive search error. Or the books were licensed temporarily. Maybe Harper Collins' books were removed after 26 limit.
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #201
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Putting things in perspective, many of those Seattle titles are either kids' books, how-to (knitting, yoga, etc.), travel guides, and other ones that I'm not sure many folks here would ... appreciate. Books seem to be added either 1000 once a month or 500 twice a month; I can't figure out why they go back and forth on that. So far, they've always added titles I've requested.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #202
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Indianapolis FTW!

Maybe they're stocking up for the Superbowl. :-)
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #203
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
It could be an Overdrive search error. Or the books were licensed temporarily. Maybe Harper Collins' books were removed after 26 limit.
Another possibility for inventory shrinkage is the loss of Mobipocket books after Amazon went to Kindle-loaning (for the States, at least).

My library system seems to have been compensated with ePub/PDF versions of some of the titles which I think they may not have had multiple formats of before.

But they definitely lost the Mobipocket-format mini-reference dictionaries and those have no equivalent replacement as far as I can tell, and that may be true of some of the older pre-ePub/non-PDF titles as well.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #204
cHex
Zealot
cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cHex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
San Diego and Imperial Counties' Serra Digital Download Library appears to have 800 titles:

Fiction - 499
Non-Fiction - 301

Biography & Autobiography - 66
Business & Careers - 58
Historical Fiction - 51
History - 27
Literature - 183
Mystery & Thriller - 235
Romance - 70
Young Adult - 139

These titles appear to be available to patrons of 9 public libraries (including municipal and county libraries with multiple branches). Two of the libraries apparently offer additional eBook titles to their patrons.

Based on my experience, popular titles have waiting lists several months long. An e-mail is sent when one's turn comes up, and the title is held for 72 hours.
cHex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #205
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I'm not exactly sure what the best method here is, but will give some scattered updates of
personal interest. Checking the advanced overdrive search at a few libraries carefully, I found one with a lot more Abobe EPUB than Adobe PDF (Pittsburgh), and one that goes the other way (New York). But since we are a Kindle family, I only did extensive checks for Kindle-only. If you have an EPUB reader, add maybe ten percent to these numbers. Due to personal interest, I first give the Kindle total, and then the number when limiting, within Kindle titles, to subject History:

New York City and Long Island

Brooklyn..........24,316; 800
N.Y................18,651; 630
Queens........... 7,438; 158
Nassau Co........6,470; 179
Suffolk Co........5,645; 153

Pennsylvania

Philadelphia.............10,205; 403
Delaware Co............5,552; 183
Montgomery Co........5,367; 106
Pittsburgh Area........14669; 639

New Jersey

Trenton Area..........4,413; 348
Camden Area..........2,725; 49

Points South

Delaware...............4,430; 174
Baltimore Metro......6,098; 214
DC.......................9,012; 245

How Some of the Best Are Faring

Cleveland............................33,574; 794
Seattle...............................32,169; 1,503
Singapore (Adobe PDF)..........24,510; 678

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 05-15-2012 at 10:19 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #206
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Acting on findings from my post immediately above, I today (May 15) paid US$50 for a one year out-of-state membership in the Brooklyn Public Library. This has to be done in person, or at least you have to pick up your card in person. I did it at the Gerritsen Beach branch. The librarian said that it had been 20 years since she last signed up someone from out of state, but eventually figured out how to do it. Since I've gone this far, I'll mention that they take credit cards, strongly discourage cash, and cannot make change.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 05-15-2012 at 10:26 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #207
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

I've been lax in updating this thread. Some libraries have made it difficult to calculate the number of titles. Many also have suddenly added large numbers to their inventories like Brooklyn. It's hard to keep an accurate list.

Steve, I'm surprised but happy you were still able to purchase an out of state card. Overdrive has tried to place restrictions on such activity. NYPL has stopped allowing it.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #208
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
We still don't have much. Rutherford Public Library is attached to NJ Digital Library. Only 1,514 ebooks in English. This is outside the public domain freebooks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NJ Digital Library.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	86513  
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #209
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
Durham County (NC) recently added eBook lending to their Overdrive program (in addition to audio books). Admittedly 537 titles is a small start, but considering the state of public budgets, I'm not going to complain. That and just a few months ago, they had zero lendable eBooks, so it's a step in the right direction.
As of today, that number has more than doubled to 1160. And that's just Overdrive and not any other of their digital collections.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #210
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

We have a new leader!

Indianapolis

Also, Pittsburgh has been added. Several libraries have gone crazy adding thousands of titles since the last update.