Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
nasau
nasau began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello and am I on the right track?

Hello, I'm new here and have zero knowledge of digital formatting. I'm working on marketing a novel (not mine) and want to convert it to formats for devices in order to sell online.

Can you tell me am I on the right track? I looked at the converter and played with it a little. I also read the FAQs but since my lack of knowledge is getting in the way......

Can I upload the book to websites in different formats?

I'll wait to get the answers on that and think about what else I need to know to get started.

Thanks for all your valuable input!

nas
nasau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Hello Nasau and welcome to MobileRead.

Yes, if you want to sell novels online it's a good idea to have well formatted versions in all popular formats.
I would advise you to have a look at https://www.smashwords.com, a very good store that helps self-published authors to sell (or give away) their work.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
nasau

Thanks!

I think this is answering my question. We didn't want to use Smashwords because we already have a distributor, part of their deal is that they get a cut in the sales. I wanted to format the book myself and use our distributor. Can I do that?
Old 12-19-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi nasau and welcome to MobileRead. Good luck with the novel.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasau View Post
Thanks!

I think this is answering my question. We didn't want to use Smashwords because we already have a distributor, part of their deal is that they get a cut in the sales. I wanted to format the book myself and use our distributor. Can I do that?
Of course you can. I only suggested smashwords as a good example to learn from (if your distributor doesn't want exclusivity, you might want to make the novel available through smashwords also - but that's entirely up to you). Feel free to ask anything you need here on the forum. There are separate sections devoted to specific formats, and even converting tools.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
nasau

Thanks. It's not what I want but they somehow have some vendetta against Amazon, I think it's CRAZY not to distribute through Amazon but I'm just the worker bee here, So what I want to do is find a program that I can convert to ebook and give the formatted versions to the distributor who seems to think that she can route Amazon and other customers to her site.

When I format using calibre does the end result give you something uploadable/downloadable? That's pretty much what I need to know right now. THANKS SO MUCH, my frustration with this controlling distributor is getting crazy too.