Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-14-2014, 11:09 PM   #1
Paul Miller
Enthusiast
Paul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo
highlighting/annotating PDF files?

I'm researching Kobo ereaders and making some progress. However, I get stuck when I try to find out whether I'll be able to highlight and/or annotate PDF files. Both functions would be better than one or the other.

Does the software that comes with the Kobo, e.g. the Aura HD, allow one to do this? And if not, would a 3rd party program like Calibre be the thing?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I've been searching this site and the web in general and have not been able to find an answer.

Paul
Paul Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 12:59 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Unfortunately, you can't directly annotate text in PDFs. What you can do is to bookmark a page and then go into the annotations list and add a not to the bookmark.

If reading and annotating PDFs is important to you, then you won't be happy with a Kobo ereader. Or any of the other 6"-7" inch e-ink ereaders. You really need to stick with a proper tablet for this. There is a LOT of discussion on this in the "Which one should I buy?" forum.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Paul Miller
Enthusiast
Paul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavensPaul Miller is a rising star in the heavens

This is helpful, davidfor. Is this because tablets allow for more/different reading software? I'll check out the other forum as well.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Primarily because of processor power (tablets typically having much faster and more powerful processors allowing better rendering) and the related problem of slower refresh on e-ink vs. tablets (physical display differences on top of processor rendering). PDF work on e-ink, but due to smaller size screen size you're likely going to scroll around a lot to see the whole page and e-ink readers aren't ideal for that. Really depends on what your use and tolerance levels (for slower refresh) are.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:50 PM   #5
Paul Miller
Enthusiast

Thanks, Robko. this makes it clearer. Since I (unfortunately) don't do a lot of reading, perhaps I should get a tablet despite the other drawbacks. :-)
Advert
Old 03-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #6
hoichi
male solipsist pig
hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hoichi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch→Kobo Aura HD
I'm not sure whether no annotations for PDFs is due to the lack of processing power or simply due to the fact that the PDF viewer is basically a separate app and most of the code is probably licensed from Adobe.
What I do know is it sure would be nice to have highlighting, annotations and dictionary lookup for screenplays and occasional prose in PDF (note to self: check the book format when you buy fiction from Kobo store).
hoichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotate, highlight, pdf, software