Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #241
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by acti0n View Post
6th unit arrived. Turned it on, immediately noticed a 3mm scratch near the bottom of the screen. This is the 3rd consecutive replacement that came scratched.
So weird. Out of the 9 units I received, not one had scratches on the screen or anywhe else on the unit! Any chance you could post a pic?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #242
acti0n
acti0n began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Just got my 7th unit, this time from Best Buy. Bright dust specs under screen, large hotspot on left side of screen, large pink discolorations. Also, the light was noticeably dimmer than the previous units (max brightness on this unit was equivalent to about 18 on others). Ironically, this device actually had the most even lighting on the bottom (no blotches).

Going to exchange for another and will report back.
acti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #243
acti0n

I exchanged #7 at Best Buy, and I opened the new device (#8) there in front of them. This one had large blue and pink discolorations, which one employee saw bright as day, but another couldn't see anything wrong. I want ahead and returned this one.

One defective device is understandable, two is bad luck, but eight in a row is telling me all are going to have some issue. I await Kindle #9 from Amazon Monday.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #244
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
What about giving the Kobo Glo a try?

(Guess I am doing amazon a favour with my suggestion if they can stop shipping replacement over replacement with little chance of that ending :-) )

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #245
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
I exchanged #7 at Best Buy, and I opened the new device (#8) there in front of them. This one had large blue and pink discolorations, which one employee saw bright as day, but another couldn't see anything wrong. I want ahead and returned this one.

One defective device is understandable, two is bad luck, but eight in a row is telling me all are going to have some issue. I await Kindle #9 from Amazon Monday.
Now that is dedication and patience. If it were me, I'd have asked for double my money back and bought something that works without having to give it 9 tries.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #246
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:

Sorry you are going through all of this!!!
Did you write a review on amazon? If not, I think you defenitely should.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #247
acti0n

Once #9 arrives Monday that will be the last. Unless it's somehow perfect, I'm just gonna stick with unit #3, which I find to be the most tolerable of the replacements -- I managed to remove the aforementioned piece of plastic sticking out of the top inner border after a little fiddling. While it does have some blotchiness on the bottom, it does not distract me from reading as bright dust specs, scratches, and discoloration would. So, while not perfect, I can at least get down to reading.

I guess this is what can happen when you're an early adopter. The Kindle Paperwhite, Nook Glow, and Kobo Glow are all the first generation of front-lift ereaders, and neither is without its issues.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #248
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Once #9 arrives Monday that will be the last. Unless it's somehow perfect, I'm just gonna stick with unit #3, which I find to be the most tolerable of the replacements -- I managed to remove the aforementioned piece of plastic sticking out of the top inner border after a little fiddling. While it does have some blotchiness on the bottom, it does not distract me from reading as bright dust specs, scratches, and discoloration would. So, while not perfect, I can at least get down to reading.
The billboard effect at the bottom is normal but it shouldn't be blotchy anywhere else. You may notice a green or blue shadowing around the screen edges, Kind of like a border, depending how you hold it. This is normal. All Kindles have it. The light just exaggerates it.

My PW had a plastic piece sticking out on the top edge of the screen. I was also easily able to remove it. When I first saw it I was like please don't let it be a broken pixel. My PW is pretty good, no discoloration. The contrast on the text could be so much better though.

Also as you lower the light below 5 you will notice a background becoming dirty or muttled. Just not looking clean specially where the text is. This is normal due to how eInk screens look without light.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote