Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
about micro sd cards

i'm going to purchase one (or more) micro sd card for my kobo... a couple of questions before making damages

- can i use windows explorer copy&paste to move my books/pdfs from kobo's memory to the sd card?! have i to use kobo software or calibre?!

- is it possible to use two or more sd cards with no problems?! i'd like to put books and pdfs on separate sd cards

thanks
_pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Copy & paste will work just fine.

From what other folks have posted, I believe swapping between sd cards has been much improved as of the 2.1.x firmware (which if you don't have it already, you soon will.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by _pietro View Post
- can i use windows explorer copy&paste to move my books/pdfs from kobo's memory to the sd card?! have i to use kobo software or calibre?!
It will work, but, there is a problem. The details of all books on the Kobo ereaders are stored in an internal database. Deleting the book from the main memory while it is connected to USB will not update the database. The book will still be shown in the ereaders library lists. Selecting it will usually hang the reader and you need to power off to restart it.

Another test shows it cleans the database when a restart happens. But, it left the cover images in the .kobo/images directory.

If you do the delete from calibre, it cleans everything up properly.
Quote:
- is it possible to use two or more sd cards with no problems?! i'd like to put books and pdfs on separate sd cards
As ottdmk said, handling of removing and putting an SD card back in, has been vastly improved. But, swapping cards will still be a problem. I happened to post the details yesterday. Have a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...26#post2277326. For small libraries, it is OK. For larger ones, it could be a long time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
To expand on the OPs questions, is there a brand(s) of card that consistently does or doesn't work?
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

i just read as sd card works in the 3d you posted... a little improvement could be using a GUID on the sd card and speed up the process of books recognition
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i just read as sd card works in the 3d you posted... a little improvement could be using a GUID on the sd card and speed up the process of books recognition
Adding a GUID to what? As far as I can tell, the reader is going through its database, finding the books that are supposed to be on the SD card and checking if there is a file there. Then looking for all files that aren't in the database and adding them. Or maybe it does it the other way round.

In any case, the database contains the full path for all sideloaded books, so it is easy to match between it and the file system. And make the decisions about what is and isn't in each place. I can't see how an extra identifier would help with this.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
_pietro
Connoisseur

to prevent deleting book from the database and reinserting them when you use two sd cards, the GUID indentify a sd card... if i undenstand well as it works the process of reading a card
Old 10-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
to prevent deleting book from the database and reinserting them when you use two sd cards, the GUID indentify a sd card... if i undenstand well as it works the process of reading a card
OK, you want to store information so that when a card is inserted, the device can tell if it has seen the card before and also keeps a set of database records for each card it has seen. That could work, but there is a problem if you use a card once. There could be a large number of database records for a card that someone lent you to read one book. This will have an impact on performance.

The other impact is that the device doesn't care which card a book is on. If I used a 1GB card and filled it, then bought a 4GB card and copied the books from the 1GB card to this, the device doesn't care. So long as the books have the same name and path, they are the same books. You won't lose your reading status when you start using the 4GB card.