Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #1
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: sony pocketbook 350
When will the kindle touch get an update

And what might be in such an update? Every day I turn on wireless and check and every day I am disappointed. So much work on the fire and are we eink readers second class citizens now?
bluerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerfoot View Post
And what might be in such an update? Every day I turn on wireless and check and every day I am disappointed. So much work on the fire and are we eink readers second class citizens now?
What updates do you feel that it requires? I'm very happy with mine just the way it is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Eventually.

And, as far as what's contained in an update... I imagine it wouldn't be a whole lot. Maybe some streamlining of some code, updating an indexing function to be more efficient...things of that nature. Past that, what would you be looking for? What's so disappointing about its current state that has you being sad panda?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I would like if an update could be released that would improve the import collections functionality. Other than that, I am good with mine.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
bluerfoot
Zealot
bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'bluerfoot understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

1) option to always show page numbers as opposed to having to hit the top
2) slider to move pages quickly like what I had on my sony prs 350 over a year ago
3) ability to tap hold to move pages (functionality on nook and sony)
4) pdf in landscape
6) ability to choose double click on home button to wake sleep device as opposed to button button that puts reader to sleep when I read holding on my chest in bed
7) ability to move tap top area to bottom (I am constantly hitting that and going to setting when I want to turn pages instead).
8) collections in collections (folder in folders)
9) options to display book covers on home screen
10) something to the effect of swipe from bottom left to top right to lock screen. So annoying that you have to hit bottom button just to clear off dust or water which is a big issues for me.

Those are just a few issues off the top of my head I am sure I could come up with many more. Not a bad reader but really apart from the great book store and the nice integrated lighted case, there is no real advantage to the reader itself (yes I have tried the nook and the sony and feel they are actually better "readers").

Last edited by bluerfoot; 12-29-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I'd like to see 1, 2, and 9 in your list. I'm back with Amazon because of the bookstore and customer service. There is no WOW with the Kindle Touch. Functional. Pleasing.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
bluerfoot
Zealot

also little things like some screens that open make you hit x to close them while most just let you hit the bigger screen in the background to exit out.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
- ability to change screen orientation (ideally with associated gestures to rotate/flip)
- selecting word/phrase should offer search options (store/google/wikipedia) as well as highlight/note/share/dictionary. as it is you have to type it into the search box.
- screen saver should not turn on when TTS is in use
- need slightly larger tap zone for hyperlinks (end notes etc) - it is too hard to hit the sweet spot at smaller text sizes.
- scrubber/slider for page navigation
- show pages/locations to end of chapter when options are displayed
- a gesture for Back (such as two finger left swipe) and Forward (2 finger right swipe)
- accessibility (voice menus)
- Internationalization features so it can be sold outside of English speaking regions
- Browser needs better, more consistent way to scroll and page up/down, especially in Article mode. Swiping 'sort of' works, but at least I can't get it to behave consistently. Probably needs specialized tap zones for page up/down. A gesture to toggle Article Mode would be nice also.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-29-2011 at 02:36 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Software update sugestions

1. Home screen: ability to browse books by the cover art, not just text.
2. Home screen: ability to change the line spacing on the home screen and
in the collections so that you can see more books on a screen. There is too
much spacing right now.
3. Dictionary feature: when selecting a word so that you can see the
definition, there could be an option for the Kindle to actually pronounce
the word in question.
4. Shopping: It seems unusually difficult to find Kindle apps in the market
place when browsing the shop on the Kindle device
5. Navigation: there could be a touch gesture that turns the device off to
the screen saver. There could also be a touch gesture that takes the device
to the home screen from the screen saver.
6. More control over the line spacing, words per line, font types, margins,
etc. Including on the home screen.
7. I prefer the old status indicator showing graphically how far along in
the book you were. This isn't a major issue for me though. I also liked to
know which locations the current page displayed....(e.g. 100-120)
8. Being able to edit the meta data for my personal docs on the device.
9. it would be nice if the device had a little graphic on the left margin
that indicated whether the book is from amazon or is a personal doc.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerfoot View Post
1) option to always show page numbers as opposed to having to hit the top
2) slider to move pages quickly like what I had on my sony prs 350 over a year ago
3) ability to tap hold to move pages (functionality on nook and sony)
4) pdf in landscape
6) ability to choose double click on home button to wake sleep device as opposed to button button that puts reader to sleep when I read holding on my chest in bed
7) ability to move tap top area to bottom (I am constantly hitting that and going to setting when I want to turn pages instead).
8) collections in collections (folder in folders)
9) options to display book covers on home screen
10) something to the effect of swipe from bottom left to top right to lock screen. So annoying that you have to hit bottom button just to clear off dust or water which is a big issues for me.

Those are just a few issues off the top of my head I am sure I could come up with many more. Not a bad reader but really apart from the great book store and the nice integrated lighted case, there is no real advantage to the reader itself (yes I have tried the nook and the sony and feel they are actually better "readers").
I wouldn't mind 1 and 9.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
To be perfectly honest guys, the last firmware update I recall that actually added new features and major updates worthy of mention was the update to 2.5 (pre-Kindle 3). Since then, new features has almost always meant new hardware—with OTA firmware updates that are usually little more than bug fixes.

Maybe there'll be a big update to address user requests for the Kindle Touch (I hope there is for all your sakes), but if past practice is anything to go by, you'll be buying new hardware to get most of the new features/big changes you're asking for.

Most likely, the biggest feature update you'll see is support for the new KF8 format. And there's a good chance that the KT already has a lot of that built in it already (just unused as of yet) .

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-29-2011 at 07:56 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
To be perfectly honest guys, the last firmware update I recall that actually added new features and major updates worthy of mention was the update to 2.5 (pre-Kindle 3). Since then, new features has almost always meant new hardware—with OTA firmware updates that are usually little more than bug fixes.

Maybe there'll be a big update to address user requests for the Kindle Touch (I hope there is for all your sakes), but if past practice is anything to go by, you'll be buying new hardware to get most of the new features/changes you're asking for.

Most likely, the biggest feature update you'll see is support for the new KF8 format. And there's a good chance that the KT already has a lot of that built in it already (just unused as of yet) .
Apart from KF8 (the only feature 'promised') I really hope they add (restore) screen orientation feature. Its lack is particularly glaring, when every other Kindle and Kindle mobile app supports this.

Also the lack of internationalization features (like K4) suggests it was rushed out and such features are in the backlog waiting for an update. They can't really sell it in Europe until then.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:28 PM   #13
Terry Brown
Enthusiast
Terry Brown began at the beginning.

Device: M1 Max Mac Studio, iPad Pro 2018 12.9, iPhone 7
Well, I for one, would like a performance/bug fix update. My Touch slows down after a few days (everything page turns, context switches from reading to home, etc) and I must reboot. Also occasionally gets lost in a book and jumps to page 1.

Fix the bugs and performance issues!
Terry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:39 AM   #14
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
On the Touch, when you sort your homescreen by collection, it puts everything in alphabetical order.

I would like it to go back to how the other kindles work...sorted by collection but the most recently accessed on appears on top.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #15
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I'm glad that some people are happy with the touch the way it is but, for me, it needs some fixing. The clumsy way it handles multi-language dictionaries has created a lot of problems. Giving the user the ability to override the automatic dictionary selection would be great. The page numbering. The collection sorting. The lack of landscape mode. And many of the things mentioned by others on this thread.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote