Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
csandste
csandste doesn't littercsandste doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Just picked up four new Libres for $60-$70

Had a re-certified Nook with a display that died after a few days, took it back to B&N, got a Kobo at Borders for $110. Found a close-out Libre at Ultimate Electronics for $69.99. At that price, this is a good deal. Actually like it much better than either the Nook or the Kobo-- faster page turns, larger type available, display as nice as e-ink IMO. Bought three more for Christmas presents, two of the three last copy shelf-displays that I picked up for $59.99. Now my only question is which of my daughters are going to receive a slightly used Kobo.

BTW-- My few days with the Nook convinced me that the color control panel and wi-fi weren't really worth it. Downloaded a library book but getting around the download web page was painful with the rudimentary browser. The book went somewhere, I could see it when I looked at the Nook as a drive, but could never use it. Used the USB connection for the next copy and figured that the Wi-Fi would be mostly good for buying B&N titles at the B&N. Not worth the extra battery drain. When B&N refused to exchange it for a new one, I got my money back and went Kobo. Perfectly adequate, but frankly both my wife and I prefer the Libre. Hope the quality on the other units is OK.

Also, Borders repeatedly refused to sell me a Libre at the price advertised on their web page. They said that it was for mail order only, I pointed out that the wording said "in store only", to which they said sorry, can't do it. Called Ultimate from their store and locked in the remainder units, had to drive to three different stores in St. Louis but the price made it worth it. Libres were still marked $149.99 in two of the stores, no wonder they didn't move quickly-- but at least it came up at the lower price on their cash register.

Last edited by csandste; 12-19-2010 at 05:34 AM.
csandste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by csandste View Post
Actually like it much better than either the Nook or the Kobo-- faster page turns, larger type available, display as nice as e-ink IMO...I got my money back and went Kobo. Perfectly adequate, but frankly both my wife and I prefer the Libre.
Welcome csandste!

Great to see another member here who prefers the reflective TFT screen of the Dr. Yi/jetBook/Libre to the eInk vizplex screen. Almost all of us who have tried both types prefer the reflective TFT, but I think that most here just don't want to believe us!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
csandste
csandste doesn't littercsandste doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Had I not bought the Nook first, I would never have tried a unit without Wi-Fi. I have no idea what the bottom line price of this unit is, but if it had a price point $50-70 under the cheapest Kindle (or about what I paid for it), I think they could sell a bunch of 'em.

When I'm ready to buy a cheap $100 Android tablet in about six months, I'll buy one. This is a dedicated READING device, as such-- simpler and faster is better.
csandste is offline   Reply With Quote