Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 06:40 AM   #736
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think I'll try to skip the gastroenteritis route to weight loss!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:46 AM   #737
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think I'll try to skip the gastroenteritis route to weight loss!
Yes - it's quick but unpleasant .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:53 AM   #738
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes - it's quick but unpleasant .

It's even unpleasant for others in the same house...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #739
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

January 1st 2013. A week and a bit of feasting have certainly had an effect.

74.0 kg this morning, and I was touching 72kg before Christmas.

So: Back onto my diet now. No snacks, no sugary drinks, and moderation at mealtimes. I'm going to be a bit sterner than last year, and I'm aiming to hit 68.0kg before the start of May. 1.5kg per month should be easily achievable. If I'm not on target at the end of January, I will take (shudder) some exercise too.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #740
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Heading to the gym when the Hubby gets home from tennis. Time to get back on track.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #741
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
January 1st 2013. A week and a bit of feasting have certainly had an effect.

74.0 kg this morning, and I was touching 72kg before Christmas.

So: Back onto my diet now. No snacks, no sugary drinks, and moderation at mealtimes. I'm going to be a bit sterner than last year, and I'm aiming to hit 68.0kg before the start of May. 1.5kg per month should be easily achievable. If I'm not on target at the end of January, I will take (shudder) some exercise too.
Not alone .... :-(

Visit my mom in Colombia and gained 4 pounds in 9 days. I was 174 before.

Using "lost it" app. Kind of like it more than "My Fitness Pal"
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #742
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No exercise for 10 days due to the antibiotics I am on. It can cause tendonitis and ruptures.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #743
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Commiserations.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #744
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
A chronic cough from my bout of flu-like illness has curtailed my exercise ... giving me severe cabin fever and a hacking cough worse than a smoker's!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #745
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I had a bad case of the flu a few years ago. I had diarrhea, I threw up, I lost my appetite. I also lost about 10 pounds in 5 days.

I decided this was the perfect diet, if only I could bottle it. Anorexia, bulimia, weight loss and a colon cleanse all rolled into one package.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #746
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
I had a bad case of the flu a few years ago. I had diarrhea, I threw up, I lost my appetite. I also lost about 10 pounds in 5 days.

I decided this was the perfect diet, if only I could bottle it. Anorexia, bulimia, weight loss and a colon cleanse all rolled into one package.
These days many people are taking 'Medical Travel Vacations,' going to other countries for common procedures such as liposuction, breast augmentation, dental work, etc. The medical care in Thailand is as good or better than can be found in the US, while the costs are about 1/4th. Combine a medical procedure with a three-week recovery in a tropical paradise for half the price the procedure alone would cost. Thailand, Switzerland, Mexico, Micronesia, etc., all have become medical destinations.

But I've yet to see a Medical Travel Vacation to India, which is where your diet idea would work. And it would even be non-invasive! In just 2-3 days of foods from street vendors in India, one is virtually assured of contracting dysentery, thus guaranteeing a rapid 1/3-your-body-weight weight loss in a matter of a two weeks!

I've seen old advertisements from the late 1800's, selling tapeworms as a weight-loss remedy. India sounds MUCH nicer.

Stitchawl
Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #747
Skibble
Runs With Scissors
Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since Christmas, I've been trying to adopt better eating habits. I want to lose weight, but I also need to be more health conscious in general. I'm not getting any younger, and I don't want to put unnecessary stress on my body as I age. It's time to stop being lazy about food!

I am using a free app called My Diet Diary to look up and track calories, fat, carbs, protein, water intake, and exercise. It helps me be more aware of what I'm putting into my body, and also helps me make better decisions about what to eat. There are a lot of apps out there that are similar to this one, but I found My Diet Diary to be the best for my needs. It's simple and clean-looking, and doesn't require you to sign up for an account. I hate apps that do that!

I have posted a handwritten list of "rules" eat my desk, where I spend most of my time. Some are borrowed from the SkinnyGirl blog; others are my own. In case they might be helpful to others, I'll post them here. I've added explanations in parenthesis to make it clear what each rule means.
  1. Your diet is a bank account. Balance it out. (A splurge on a dessert should be balanced with a healthy salad for lunch, etc.)
  2. You can have it all. You just can't have it all at once. (Don't have meals made up entirely of foods that cater to cravings. Refer to Rule #1.)
  3. Eat with awareness. (No mindless snacking while watching television, etc.)
  4. You don't have to clean your plate. (Duh.)
  5. Get real. (Choose "real," fresh foods over processed, pre-packaged meals with lots of preservatives and chemicals.)
  6. Remember that food is primarily for fuel, not entertainment. (Don't eat because you're bored! Eat only when you are actually hungry.)
  7. Downsize! (Eat smaller portions, then wait 15 minutes to see if you are still hungry. In most cases, you won't be.)

I don't own a scale, so I will be tracking my weight loss mainly in the mirror, as well as by the fit of my clothes. I don't want to focus on numbers, because I tend to get discouraged when they don't do what I want them to! I do get weighed when I go to the doctor, so every now and then I will get a concrete measurement of my weight. That's enough for me.

I've heard that it takes 30 days to instill new habits. I guess I'll find out if that's true!
Skibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #748
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I use the Live Strong site to track calories and the like.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:40 AM   #749
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibble View Post
I have posted a handwritten list of "rules" eat my desk, where I spend most of my time.
Can you say 'Freudian Slip?'
These are very 'livable' rules, and pretty much what I have been following since August.

Quote:
[*]You can have it all. You just can't have it all at once.
One of the most important for me. I know that if I were to rule out some special treat, I'd find myself breaking my diet as too confining. I give myself treats at least 2-3 times a week. But instead of the whole pizza, I just have one or two slices.

Quote:
[*]Eat with awareness. (No mindless snacking while watching television, etc.)
This is one I break almost every night. But I break it with popcorn... I make 1/4 cup un-popped kernels, and that can take me 2-3 nights of nibbling to finish. (I eat one kernel at a time, actually biting off bits and pieces of it...) Less than 30 calories a night.

Quote:
[*]You don't have to clean your plate. (Duh.)
We switched to half sized portions, (even for grilled chicken,) except for veggies.

Eating this way, and lots of long walks, stair climbing, and easy at-home PT, this morning my scale read 78.9kg. You can do it if you want it badly enough.

Stitchawl
Old 01-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #750
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Eating this way, and lots of long walks, stair climbing, and easy at-home PT, this morning my scale read 78.9kg. You can do it if you want it badly enough.
Well done! Pretty soon you'll be lighter than me! Unless I lose the weight I intend to lose. Going OK so far.