Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
GWild
GWild began at the beginning.

Device: none
[SOLVED] Problem Using Calibre and Sony PRS-505

Update:
Suggestions posted here prompted me to further examine my system.

I found my issue. After messing around for several days I searched packages containing the name/description *USB* and realized that (and I don't remember when) I previously installed USB Mount.

That was the source of the issue. The system now 'behaves' according to the current parameter settings (do not automatically mount USB devices) and Calibre mounts the device when I attach it to the system.

Hello all.

I just received a Sony PRS-505, and a colleague mentioned that I should get Calibre to manage my library.

I run Kubuntu 10.04 AMD 64 Linux as my OS.

After much reading/googling, I've decided to post this question.

Problem:
My system automatically mounts the reader such that Calibre is blocked from interacting with it. I can only use Calibre with the reader if I manually umount the reader - then Calibre automatically detects it and runs/works fine.

Question:
Is there a way to possibly modify the mount parameters Calibre uses so that it will be able to access the reader in RW mode?

The OS automounts it in RW mode:
/dev/sdf /media/usb0 vfat rw,noexec,nodev,sync,noatime,nodiratime 0 0

but the device is not even visible to Calibre unless I manually umount the reader (and I don't want to completely disable automatic mounting of USB devices which are attached).

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by GWild; 01-09-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: [SOLVED]
GWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWild View Post
I just received a Sony PRS-505, and a colleague mentioned that I should get Calibre to manage my library.
What version of calibre are you using?

If you are using a version installed from the ubuntu repository it would be best to remove that version from your system and install calibre via the binary install outlined here. Not using the binary install has often led to many problems.

If you need any more help feel free to ask.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
GWild

Woops, I failed to mention the version.

This was with the binary install versions 0.7.35 and 0.7.36.

I see that 0.7.37 is available today but have not yet updated.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
First go to preferences->miscellaneous click debug device detection with your device connected (and mounted by the OS) and post the output.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
GWild

Note: I updated to 0.7.37 this morning; same result.

As further background information, I have reformatted the device storage several times, and I have also 'reset' the device several times.

Debug device detection output:

Code:
Version: 0.7.37
USB devices on system:
[['0xeb1a', '0x5006', '0x100', '', 'USB VIDBOX Audio', 'USB2.0 VIDBOX NW03'],
 ['0x45e',
  '0x39',
  '0x300',
  'Microsoft',
  'Microsoft 5-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)',
  ''],
 ['0x54c',
  '0x31e',
  '0x229',
  'Sony',
  'Sony Portable Reader System',
  '0800461000A36911'],
 ['0x17f6', '0x709', '0x215', 'Unicomp', 'Endura Keyboard', ''],
 ['0x5e3', '0x716', '0x9732', 'Dynex', 'USB Reader', '000000000063'],
 ['0x1d6b',
  '0x2',
  '0x206',
  'Linux 2.6.32-27-generic ehci_hcd',
  'EHCI Host Controller',
  '0000:00:02.1'],
 ['0x1d6b',
  '0x1',
  '0x206',
  'Linux 2.6.32-27-generic ohci_hcd',
  'OHCI Host Controller',
  '0000:00:02.0'],
 ['0x3f0', '0x2305', '0x100', 'hewlett packard', 'hp scanjet', '']]
Available plugins: ALEX ALURATEK_COLOR ANDROID AVANT AZBOOKA BAMBOOK BLACKBERRY BOOQ BOOX
COOL_ER CYBOOK DBOOK E52 E71X EB511 EB600 EBK52 ECLICTO EDGE EEEREADER
ELONEX ESLICK FOLDER_DEVICE_FOR_CONFIG GEMEI GER2 HANLINV3 HANLINV5
ILIAD INVESBOOK IPAPYRUS IREXDR1000 IREXDR800 IRIVER_STORY ITALICA
JETBOOK JETBOOK_MINI KINDLE KINDLE2 KINDLE_DX KOBO KOGAN LUMIREAD
MENTOR N516 N770 N810 NEWSMY NEXTBOOK NOOK NOOK_COLOR NUUT2 ORIZON
PALMPRE PDNOVEL PDNOVEL_KOBO PICO POCKETBOOK301 POCKETBOOK360
POCKETBOOK602 POCKETBOOK701 PRS505 Q600 README S60 SHINEBOOK SNE SOVOS
SPECTRA SUNSTECH_EB700 SWEEX TECLAST_K3 THEBOOK TREKSTOR VELOCITYMICRO

Looking for devices...
	(1356, 798, 553, 'Sony', 'Sony Portable Reader System', '0800461000A36911')
		Detected possible device PRS505

Devices possibly connected: SONY Device Interface,  
Trying to open SONY Device Interface ... failed
Opening of the following devices failed
<calibre.devices.prs505.driver.PRS505 object at 0x37dd250>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/__init__.py", line 124, in debug
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 686, in open
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 634, in open_linux
  File "site-packages/calibre/devices/usbms/device.py", line 670, in filter_read_only_mount_points
DeviceError: The main memory of PRS505 is read only. This usually happens because of file system errors.
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Code:
DeviceError: The main memory of PRS505 is read only. This usually happens because of file system errors.
Hmm, what happens if you just plug the reader and try to copy any file to it using your distribution's file manager?

Corruption usually happens on Linux if you just plug out the device without doing the eject/unmount.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
GWild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
Hmm, what happens if you just plug the reader and try to copy any file to it using your distribution's file manager?

Corruption usually happens on Linux if you just plug out the device without doing the eject/unmount.
I can copy the files manually if I su up. I was actually doing that prior to learning about Calibre. I did a format/reset after learning about (but before using) Calibre.

This was from the command line though. I never tried it with a file management type of application (such as Dolphin).
Old 01-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I can copy the files manually if I su up.
This is the problem than. If you need to su yourself in order to copy files to the sony reader that means you need to su also calibre since it does not have enough permissions to actually write on the device. Remmember calibre is executed under user account currently logged in.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From what you're saying, the OS is mounting the device as root, only allowing root access to the device. That is why you can copy with su and not otherwise.

You'll have to ask on your OS forums for how to fix that.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
GWild

I do have a post on the *buntu forums, and I'll pursue it from that end.

Just thought I'd ask here in the event someone else had encountered the issue.

Thanks all.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
hairybiker
Banned
hairybiker began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Shine 3
Quote:
The OS automounts it in RW mode:
/dev/sdf /media/usb0 vfat rw,noexec,nodev,sync,noatime,nodiratime 0 0
Strange, I use Mint 9 64 bit with Calibre & my *505 with no problems.

How did you get that load statement?
surely it should be :-
/dev/sdf /media/usb0 vfat rw,defaults,user,noexec,nodev,sync,noatime,nodirat ime 0 0

Did you setup something to automount it ? (in fstab ?)
hairybiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
GWild

KDE 'System Settings -> Removable Devices' manager is set to automatically mount USB devices when they are attached to the system.

This only happens with the reader. Other USB devices which I attach (USB thumb drives) can be written to as the active user via KDE apps (such as Dolphin).

I don't have anything exotic on my system. In general just a plain vanilla Kub install.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

in the kde removable devices settings simply disable auto mounting for your reader and let calibre do the auto mounting for you.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #14
GWild

I'll try that later today.

Thank you.