Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I've disabled ALL the "Disable CSS styles" and it still doesn't display like it should. Block-quoted text that's supposed to have wider margins than the normal text, doesn't (and it's the same font size as the normal text when it's supposed to be smaller). Right-aligned text is left-aligned. It's like it's trying hard to NOT display things "correctly."

I'll play with it for a while, but ... damn! Does it not even try to use the existing CSS?
Sometimes you have to exit the book then reenter it for changes to show. It's buggy like that.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #17
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Moon+ Reader Pro is the one I just switched too. It's awesome The interface could be better but the Reader itself beats Mantano hands down and it's got Time Left to Read just like Kindle!!!
I hope it works better than the dysfunctional Time Left to Read in the Kindle for Android app. It jumps all over the place from page to page and never gets close to being accurate until there are only a few pages left. It is better implemented on my Paperwhite 2, but even on the PW2 it is not very accurate or consistent. I think I bought Moon+ way back when, so I'll install it.

BTW, I think you made the correct decision on skipping the Paperwhite 2 upgrade. After having read a few books now on my Nexus 7.2, whenever I pick up my PW2 it looks like I'm trying to read text through a yellow, fuzzy cloud. Even in a bright room the PW2 sucks compared to the Nexus 7.2. I wish it wasn't too late to return the PW2. Sounds like Amazon shanked the HDX too with the blue border haze. I'm really disappointed in their QC and design process.
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I hope it works better than the dysfunctional Time Left to Read in the Kindle for Android app. It jumps all over the place from page to page and never gets close to being accurate until there are only a few pages left. It is better implemented on my Paperwhite 2, but even on the PW2 it is not very accurate or consistent. I think I bought Moon+ way back when, so I'll install it.

BTW, I think you made the correct decision on skipping the Paperwhite 2 upgrade. After having read a few books now on my Nexus 7.2, whenever I pick up my PW2 it looks like I'm trying to read text through a yellow, fuzzy cloud. Even in a bright room the PW2 sucks compared to the Nexus 7.2. I wish it wasn't too late to return the PW2. Sounds like Amazon shanked the HDX too with the blue border haze. I'm really disappointed in their QC and design process.
I am happy to hear that my Nexus will be here on Tuesday! I am heartbroken that the HDX has too many quality issues. I am a Kindle girl through and through but I can't pay alot of money for something then not be happy with it or able to read with it. I love my PW1 it's display is awesome for me but I was not so lucky with the HDX it seems. I find the blue leds not the best to read on. The HDX was design for videos in mind.

Time To Read is never truly accurate but you learn what it means like 8 minutes means alot of pages and 1 minutes means less than 5 pages. I could not live without this. It tells how long till the next chapter and I didn't know the Android app now has it. Awesome! I can't wait to try it none of my older devices will run the app.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #19
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
It tells how long till the next chapter and I didn't know the Android app now has it. Awesome! I can't wait to try it none of my older devices will run the app.
Yes, I was quite surprised to see that feature in the Kindle app on my Nook HD tablet. I still don't like the Kindle app, though. Maybe if I embedded my font and tried it that way, it would work for me. I don't plan to bother with that, though, as Moon+ reader does what I want it to, on my Nook HD. (Side note, I can't find out how or where to add my font to Moon+ on my n2a rooted 2012 Fire HD! Strange, but true.)
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yes, I was quite surprised to see that feature in the Kindle app on my Nook HD tablet. I still don't like the Kindle app, though. Maybe if I embedded my font and tried it that way, it would work for me. I don't plan to bother with that, though, as Moon+ reader does what I want it to, on my Nook HD. (Side note, I can't find out how or where to add my font to Moon+ on my n2a rooted 2012 Fire HD! Strange, but true.)
It goes in the folder called Fonts where your SD card would be. So on a KF you just create a folder called Fonts and put them in there.

I will let you know how the embedded font works on the Kindle app. My Nexus just shipped!
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #21
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
OMG Blossom, that worked! Thank you so much! It's frustrating when I can't make something work right.

Quote:
It goes in the folder called Fonts where your SD card would be. So on a KF you just create a folder called Fonts and put them in there.

I will let you know how the embedded font works on the Kindle app. My Nexus just shipped!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

When it works, an embedded font looks very nice in the Kindle for Android app on my Nexus 7.2. Unfortunately, there are a few books that are so poorly formatted that it won't work. But those are rare, and given enough time, you could eventually make them work. The Kindle for Android app is very elementary and lackluster compared to the built-in Kindle Fire HDX app. For example, there is no font selection and therefore no way to turn ON/OFF publisher fonts. If the book has publisher fonts they will be displayed like it or not! But the app gets the job done.

As far as the Time Left to Read feature, it will take a page or two to start working, even if it was working and you quit Kindle app and go back later, it will forget what it was registering. I've had it show 2hrs 36min on one page, then 1hr 5mins on the next page, then 3hrs 11mins on the following page. It is quite dysfunctional near the beginning of a new section or chapter, but it usually settles down and works better near the end of the chapter/section.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #23
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
When it works, an embedded font looks very nice in the Kindle for Android app on my Nexus 7.2. Unfortunately, there are a few books that are so poorly formatted that it won't work. But those are rare, and given enough time, you could eventually make them work. The Kindle for Android app is very elementary and lackluster compared to the built-in Kindle Fire HDX app. For example, there is no font selection and therefore no way to turn ON/OFF publisher fonts. If the book has publisher fonts they will be displayed like it or not! But the app gets the job done.

As far as the Time Left to Read feature, it will take a page or two to start working, even if it was working and you quit Kindle app and go back later, it will forget what it was registering. I've had it show 2hrs 36min on one page, then 1hr 5mins on the next page, then 3hrs 11mins on the following page. It is quite dysfunctional near the beginning of a new section or chapter, but it usually settles down and works better near the end of the chapter/section.
Sounds the same as HDX reader with the exemption of extra fonts. There is no way turn on/ off publishers fonts on the Kindle Fire either. You have to hard code into the Style Sheet. I've got it down pat now on how to do that. You must add font family class to all styles to get the font to show up on everything.

In order for Time Left to Read work right the books has to have Kindle Navigation remember on the old Kindle how you could jump from chapter to chapter using the dpad? That's what Time Left To Read uses to figure out it's chapters. Calibre adds this if you get the right XPath. I'm sure there is a manual way to do it too.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Sounds the same as HDX reader with the exemption of extra fonts. There is no way turn on/ off publishers fonts on the Kindle Fire either. You have to hard code into the Style Sheet. I've got it down pat now on how to do that. You must add font family class to all styles to get the font to show up on everything.

In order for Time Left to Read work right the books has to have Kindle Navigation remember on the old Kindle how you could jump from chapter to chapter using the dpad? That's what Time Left To Read uses to figure out it's chapters. Calibre adds this if you get the right XPath. I'm sure there is a manual way to do it too.
It is strange how Amazon gives us the Publisher Font option on the Kindle eInks and the kindle for iOS app, but doesn't in the Fire or Android app. Yep, I use the following to make the embedded fonts work, but occasionally I find a horribly formatted book that stubbornly thwarts my efforts!

Code:
* { font-family: "MyFont"; }
Old 11-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
It is strange how Amazon gives us the Publisher Font option on the Kindle eInks and the kindle for iOS app, but doesn't in the Fire or Android app. Yep, I use the following to make the embedded fonts work, but occasionally I find a horribly formatted book that stubbornly thwarts my efforts!

Code:
* { font-family: "MyFont"; }
I think because Calibre fixes style sheets I never have that issue. All text has styles so adding the font-family to all styles works. I think Sigil has a way of detecting missing styles and such too. I played around with it but prefer Calibre.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
It is strange how Amazon gives us the Publisher Font option on the Kindle eInks and the kindle for iOS app, but doesn't in the Fire or Android app.
I've always thought it strange that they don't have more consistency in their apps and what they offer across the board. It appears that there is a dev team for each app/program and they don't really talk.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I've always thought it strange that they don't have more consistency in their apps and what they offer across the board. It appears that there is a dev team for each app/program and they don't really talk.
I totally agree with you!

Kindle Android app has not half the features the Kindle iOS app does
Same with MP3 app it's missing sort by genre but the iOS app does have it!
Old 11-18-2013, 12:40 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I totally agree with you!

Kindle Android app has not half the features the Kindle iOS app does
Same with MP3 app it's missing sort by genre but the iOS app does have it!
The Android Kindle App has always been the "poor relation" of the Kindle family. Which is surprising and disappointing when one considers how high profile the Fire is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Android Kindle App has always been the "poor relation" of the Kindle family. Which is surprising and disappointing when one considers how high profile the Fire is.
Yeah they seem to dumb it down even more on the HDX than the original Fire. The only special thing is immersion Reading on the Fire that is unique. I want to say they are moving away from the Kindle Fire as reader and more for videos and games. yuck!

The personal documents on the HDX are more for office type documents than say mobi files.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
The Kindle for Android app is very elementary and lackluster compared to the built-in Kindle Fire HDX app. For example, there is no font selection and therefore no way to turn ON/OFF publisher fonts. If the book has publisher fonts they will be displayed like it or not! But the app gets the job done.
There's no ability to turn ON/OFF publisher fonts in the built-in app of the 1st generation Fire HD either. So it's not just the various stand-alone Kindle apps that get the short end of that stick.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote