Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
bshar489
Addict
bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Fire HD8
Cannot open or convert certain AZW3 books

This has happened off and on for maybe the last month or so. It doesn't happen with all AZW3 books and I can't find a common cause. But then, I'm not technically minded Here's what I got when I tried to open "The Time Hunters and the Spear of Fate:"

calibre, version 0.8.69
ERROR: Could not open ebook: invalid continuation byte

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\main.py", line 40, in run
File "threading.py", line 504, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 99, in __enter__
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 239, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\mobi_in put.py", line 40, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader\mobi8.py", line 70, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader\mobi8.py", line 382, in expand_text
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader\markup.py", line 301, in expand_mobi8_markup
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader\markup.py", line 45, in update_internal_links
File "encodings\utf_8.py", line 16, in decode
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xc2 in position 151: invalid continuation byte

If you need what it said when I tried to convert it, let me know and I'll supply that. I don't update Calibre regularly as I only have dialup and it takes awhile.

Thanks for your help

Bergette
bshar489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Your version of calibre is very old. Update to the current release and your errors will go away.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
bshar489
Addict
bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bshar489 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Your version of calibre is very old. Update to the current release and your errors will go away.
yes, I realized after I posted that I should have first tried downloading the latest version. I didn't realize my version is as old as it is as up until recently it has done everything I wanted

Bergette
bshar489 is offline   Reply With Quote