Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
darex2
darex2 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350 (and PRS-505; for sale)
PRSA-CL6 light/case

I just bought a PRSA-CL6 light/case.

I think the light is ideal for reading in the dark, evenly and adequately illuminating the screen, but I have a separate issue, and I'm wondering if it's just my unit or if others' are the same.

The gooseneck is terrible. The light will not stay in any of the positions I put it in, and I am constantly having to readjust it, or even hold it with my thumb, as I read. It is resistant to being rotated, and will not allow me to center it above the screen parallel to it. It "fights" my every effort to reposition it.

No one mentioned this in their reviews in the other thread.

Is my unit defective, or are they all like this? I didn't expect the gooseneck to be the issue, if any, with this unit, but I think I cannot keep it if this is the case. It needs to stay where I put it, or it's more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks.

David
darex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Dave,

I think it's the light. Because I just bought one and the gooseneck part is the weakest link to the design. You position it where you want it and it wobbles out of position. I've kind of adjusted to the fact that it just won't stay where you put it. But if it's significant problem, then I would see if Sony would sent you a replacement.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
darex2

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvduchovny View Post
Dave,

I think it's the light. Because I just bought one and the gooseneck part is the weakest link to the design. You position it where you want it and it wobbles out of position. I've kind of adjusted to the fact that it just won't stay where you put it. But if it's significant problem, then I would see if Sony would sent you a replacement.
I'm sorry to hear that, but I think it's likely too. A light that doesn't stay where you want it placed is worthless, no matter how good/appropriate the illumination is.

I can't believe Sony messed this up!

Boy do I wish I'd tracked down one of those PRSA-CL1's that Target was discounting on clearance. I have a PRS-505, and I'm sure I'd be happy with it, since the big complaint by some was it's too dim, but certainly it'd stay in place!

If they'd made the head of the lamp "free rotating", that would have been better. They even use the word "rotate" in the documentation, implying that you can/must do so to aim the light, yet, it doesn't cooperate with you when you try to do just that.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
FragFrog
Connoisseur
FragFrog began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I have the same case here, but this does not sound familiar to me, sorry. In all but the most extreme positions the light stays almost exactly where I put it, independant on rotation. You can see this too in the movie I posted here around 2:40 and 3:50 - the light, once moved, pretty much stays where it is positioned.

Same with rotation: I can rotate the head of the light over an about ~160 degree angle from back to front. Assuming you're not an extreme critic who finds a 1mm displacement totally unacceptable it seems to me you might have a defective unit.
FragFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
darex2

I guess I was just trying to have it more perfectly centered left-to-right, and a bit behind the top of the reader, with the head rotated down towards the screen, and it doesn't seem to like being put in that position. If I keep it directly above the top of the reader, it seems to stay where I put it for the most part. I'll keep playing with it and see, but my first real test was last night, and I was constantly fiddling with it, while trying to read.
Advert
Old 11-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
My experience is like FragFrog's. The light does have limits, but it generally stays where I put it.

My only complaint is the overall brightness of the lamp. I'd like more, but with only one AAA, it might not be possible.

BTW I've found that positioning the light to the left side of the screen is easier for me than positioning it above the top of the screen. It gives good illumination, and I don't notice the reflection from the shiny edge band around the reader as much.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote