Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
randomchuck
randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PC
Calibre Accessiblity

Howdy! I'm Chuck, new to the forum. Love Calibre.

I'm a software engineer at the American Printing House for the Blind. We do a lot of work with digital books, and have quite a few related projects.

Calibre has a lot of awesome features that our blind engineers would want to use, but the main screen borks their screen readers. There's seemingly no readable text on those main buttons.

I know this wasn't built with accessibility in mind, but we're very interested in making this product usable for our guys. I have some C/C++, Qt, and Python experience, so I would appreciate anybody familiar with the code to point me in the right direction. In particular, where those buttons are. Lot's of code in there. Lol.

Thank you.
randomchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
Some random Chuck observes: ". . . but the main screen borks their screen readers."
"Borks" means that this was done intentionally and even maliciously, and surely that is not the case.
If you mean to say that your screen readers are unable to ascertain the function of the icons, parse it and convert it into a functionality that your dedicated software can utilize, just say so.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The gui code is all in src/calibre/gui2, particularly gui2/init.py gui2/layout.py, gui2/ui.py
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
randomchuck
randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!randomchuck , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Mmmm

@squid: but, but... urban dictionary says bork == break. :P

Thank you kovid. That is very helpful. A quick question before I dive in. Are those main buttons custom controls? ...or are they stock Qt buttons?
Old 12-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
they are qtoolbuttons.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
randomchuck

I found the LayoutButton(QToolButton) class. Thank you very much.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

First of all, Urban Dictionary is hardly a respected or credible source. The term generally means to seek to obstruct a political appointment or selection; its other major meaning is to attack a political opponent viciously. Its etymology stems from the incidents surrounding the confirmation hearings of Robert Bork to the US Supreme Court in 1987.
The usage of bork to simply mean "broken" seems to be not widely accepted, and appears to be limited to, for some reason, the breaking of a computer. My guess is that it once was and probably should be limited to include intimations of intentional mischief, such as incidents related to viruses and malware. Actually it should not be used in the computer sense at all, in my opinion, as it's an aberant derivation of the word, which for the most part is limited to use in the political sphere, and I have not seen it used elsewhere. But now I know better.
Thanks for the correction.

Last edited by SquiddOhio; 12-14-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Removed several Hobbit references.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I've always heard "bork" to mean "broken".
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I've always heard "bork" to mean "broken".
Me too! And I used it and heard it before before 1987.
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur

Well, maybe that's where that guy got his name.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks View Post
Me too! And I used it and heard it before before 1987.
+1!!!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote