Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Red face My Just Desserts

For the first time since I got my kindle, last weekend I took some books out of the library. They are pretty trashy, so I read them quickly - 1 or 2 a day. I knew I would go through more than 6 in the 3-week check out period. So I checked out 6, put them on my kindle, then returned them and checked out 6 more. I finished one of the new ones yesterday, and tried to return it. I got an error message from Overdrive. I asked what the problem was, and here is what they said:

Please send our apologies to the patron for the problems that they have
encountered. The patron is experiencing a problem because they have
returned an excessive amount of titles in a short amount of time. Please
ask the patron to try to return the titles again in a couple of days to
see if that resolves the problem. Thank you.

Yes, I deserve it. I was a piggy, and that is why I have an issue. So I will start returning my books AS I READ THEM.

Ok, just get it out of your systems. I deserve it.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I think it's great that you can read that many books in a short period of time. Sounds like you are getting a return on your Kindle investment.

Sounds like overdrive's system has a check in place to prevent abuse of their easy checkout/return.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are very nice, grooks. But the only way to read pdf's (and those are the only books that can be returned early) is to remove the DRM. This was just possible last week.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Guess the only work-around is to return ebooks either every day or every second day.

I usually read about a book a week and almost all my material comes from the library in pdf format. Unlike you I don't need to remove the DRM as my device is a Sony. I have library cards with Schaumburg and Crystal Lake.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

I live in the burbs, but was able to get a Chicago library card for absolutely nothing! My local card costs me $3! Check with your library- you may be able to get one. They have a huge selection of pdfs. I joined just for the ebooks.
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard

I had checked the Chicago Public Library selection and it didn't really excite me. The Crystal Lake library seems to have more.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard

I just checked the 3 libraries (Chicago Public, Schaumburg and Crystal Lake).

Chicago Public Library 1,083 combined pdf and mobi (i'm sure the number of individual titles is less)

Schaumburg via MyMediaMall.net 1,524 pdf and 375 mobi

Crystal Lake via North Suburban Digital Consortium 1,447 combined pdf and mobi
Old 03-05-2009, 06:36 PM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

I wanted to get at the Naperville collection, but they said it would be about $300 for a library card. Since CPL has plenty of "my kind" of books, I figure I will wait until I have read everything before I go somewhere else. Wish Swan would start offering ebooks.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
grooks
Wizard

With your reading habits, you should try a NYPL card. For $100 you would definitely get your money worth.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
With your reading habits, you should try a NYPL card. For $100 you would definitely get your money worth.
I keep count of pdf's and prc's and there are about 10200 pdf's and 5700+ prc's at e-NYPL as of today; now most prc's are available as pdf's and many of the rest of pdf's are study guides and such, so the true number of "books" is not as high, but still a great selection all in all.

12 books limit and indeed you could return pdf's early as well as put holds (email notification) on titles that are "lent out" in your favorite format.

They have tons of audiobooks, but those do not interest me so I did not check how many...

If you know anyone living in NY State, he/she is eligible for a card as far as I know. You do not need to live in the City and with e-books there is no overdue fine...

FAQ on NYPL cards:

"A Branch Libraries' card is free to anyone who lives, works, pays property taxes, or attends school in New York State. Others may apply, with payment of a $100 annual fee, for a nonresident library card."

Edit later:

Oops there are 5171 Mobipocket books not 5700+ and 12090 Adobe books

Last edited by Liviu_5; 03-05-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Well, this was supposed to be a thread for everyone to pile on me and chastise me for my "questionable" behavior in converting library books to read on my kindle, but you guys are just tooo nice!

I have found 200+ books I want to read at the free Chicago Public Library, and put them on my wishlist. That way, I can go to my wishlist, and see at a glance what is available for check out. You can only take out or put on hold 6 titles at a time. Between that and all of the free books I find, I should be set for the next 5 years or so. Especially since I have a sweater 7/8 of the way finished, and it is 60 degrees!

Interestingly, I found this on Wickipedia:

Reverse engineering of existing systems is expressly permitted under the Act under specific conditions. Under the reverse engineering safe harbor, circumvention necessary to achieve interoperability with other software is specifically authorized. See 17 U.S.C. Sec. 1201(f).

So, removing DRM to put these on my kindle is expressly authorized, so long as I read them and delete them within the prescribed period. And it looks like the Overdrive computers will restrict how many books I can take out, so I will have to supplement the 6/3 weeks with free books.

So many books, so little time
Old 03-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
siambeach
siambeach began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
New Guy First Post

I searched 'library books' and found this thread. I am in the Philippines at the moment but I will be home in Libertyville May 1. My new Kindle 2 is waiting for me. I've been searching through the Libertyville/Cook Library(cooklib.org) to see which books I can get from them and not have to buy for the Kindle. I found a book that is available for download to a 'device' but have no idea what to do.
Here is the link...
http://encore.cooklib.org/iii/encore...=eng&suite=def
"Direct Action". The second listing is for an ebook. Following the link I find this
http://www.mymediamall.net/B0B19A28-...4-08AEBCA35AF8
At the bottom of the page it say a mobipocket PID is needed to open the book.
Can anyone untangle this stuff for me?
I'm retired and plan to use my Kindle mostly in South East Asia where I can actually afford to live. Thanks...
Gregory
siambeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #13
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Can anyone untangle this stuff for me?
You're in luck. This site uses overdrive as it ebook supplier. We have written a wiki to help you get set up to use these library books. Here is the link https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Visual_Kindle_Guide

If you get stuck anywhere in the process, just post and let us know and one of us will help you.

and congrats on your new Kindle.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #14
siambeach
siambeach began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
You're in luck. This site uses overdrive as it ebook supplier. We have written a wiki to help you get set up to use these library books. Here is the link https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Visual_Kindle_Guide

If you get stuck anywhere in the process, just post and let us know and one of us will help you.

and congrats on your new Kindle.

cheers
Wow! I really did come to the right place. I'll get back to you after I get my Kindle. First week of May. Thanks!
Gregory
siambeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by siambeach View Post
Wow! I really did come to the right place. I'll get back to you after I get my Kindle. First week of May. Thanks!
Gregory
Please do yourself a favor, and download and read the pdf version of the Kindle 2 Users Guide. Its available here.........you'll be a pro before you know it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200317150
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote